uniqs
share rss forum feed

kapscable
Premium
join:2003-02-02
Parsippany, NJ
reply to frdrizzt

Re: [OOL] Cisco 851 Router - How to disable DHCP

That actually worked. I was frustrated and disconnected all of it and went back to my residential internet. I decided to try again, and this time no 10 IP address and I was able to setup one of my static IP addresses.

Although I seem to be having an issue with port 80. I keep getting an error on optimum.net, but it does show port 80 open but it isn't working yet. I'll give it until tomorrow.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
The website has generally been very bad with port management. Try whatever needs to be done direct to the cisco though, not through a router, just to rule out any networking. Most of the time I saw issues with port 80 & it was actually showing open it was from router or software config issues, and not the port/modem. If you can't get it working, it can't hurt to give them a shout to have them open the port on the modem.

kapscable
Premium
Parsippany, NJ
It finally updated. Even my Exchange ActiveSync on my iPhone is now working.

frdrizzt

Ronkonkoma, NY
Awesome. Enjoy your new service!

kapscable
Premium
Parsippany, NJ
Quick question.

For the static IP addresses. Can I just hard code them on the servers that I want public facing? Or is this supposed to be done within the Cisco router?

kapscable
Premium
Parsippany, NJ
Also, how do I open additional ports? I need 1723 opened so I can use VPN.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28
reply to kapscable
Anything you need to do with your static IP addresses should be handled on your side of the Cisco. Either in your own router or hardcoded in the server.

The Cisco provided by Cablevision just handles packets. Look at it as part of the cable modem. No need to over think it.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
reply to kapscable
As has been said do not think of it as a home router, it is not set up as a NAT router, think of it like the millions of routers on the Internet.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net
reply to kapscable
To repeat you still need a "router" behind the Cisco 851.

Internet - Cable Modem - Cisco 851 - Your Router - Network (switch - Network).

Don't even think of the Cisco 851 as being there, think of it like extended ports for the cable modem.

If you want a few server directly facing the internet you'll have to provision them manually with static IPs and plug those into the LAN ports on the Cisco 851. You wont be able to access them via your private LAN however, only via their public (static) IP addresses. If you want them on your LAN then you'll need dual LAN cards (most server have this) setup or a router and setup port forwarding to those machines in the routers config.

kapscable
Premium
Parsippany, NJ
Are we sure that the Cisco is not blocking anything? Like I said, my VPN no longer works. This is how I have it setup.

Cable Modem>Cisco 851>Linksys Router

This is the identical setup I had before with the exception of the new Cisco 851 being in between that modem and Linksys router. None of the settings have changed on my Linksys. I will try reconfiguring VPN on my server and see if it makes a difference. But so far IIS and Exchange have no problems with ports 80 and 25 open. That is why I find it odd that VPN doesn't work, but I have nowhere else I can modify port 1723.

I found this online. »www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collate···9a9.html

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
kudos:1
I am running vpn here at work just fine with an optimum business connection. Either cablevision is blocking that port on your node or you have a configuration issue.

The cisco router is not blocking anything.

frdrizzt

Ronkonkoma, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
That port is not blocked in the modem, and ports are not blocked in the router. There's only 10-15 ports blocked, and you can open 7 in total with Static IP, all of which are shown on the web page (check the Static IP section rather than just the Boost section on Optimum's page if you only see 25 & 80).