All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
rxb216
join:2010-05-08
Santa Clara, CA

rxb216 to wayjac

to wayjac

Re: [Modem] out of the blue PPPOE problem!

wayjac,

thanks for the info. so to confirm, if i put PPPoE back on the modem and enable "use public IP address" in the modem GUI, i can do the following:

1. Port forwarding

2. DDNS, will the dynamic dns service that is built into the d-link router work?

Located here: »support.dlink.com/emulat ··· dns.html

Other than that are there any disadvantages I will have by leaving pppoe on the modem, rather than the router?

Will programs on my clients that use UPNP be able to open ports and work properly? just want to make sure that the modem has no firewall or port blocking capabilities (I just want my router to do that)

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

If you use the "use public IP address" setting in the modem, and use DHCP on your D-Link router's WAN interface (you may need to power cycle both the modem and the router to activate the setting), the modem will emulate being a dumb bridge modem and your D-Link router's WAN will appear to be directly connected to the Internet.

Whatever UPnP or other method you used when the D-Link router was doing the PPPoE authentication should still work exactly the same way. The biggest obstacle may be that your router is not compatible with the modem in this mode. I have found that occasionally a router will not work with an AT&T modem in IP passthrough mode just as some routers are not compatible with doing the PPPoE authentication with AT&T modems. For example, I was never able to get either my Linksys RV082 or my D-Link DI-LB604 routers to work with IP passthrough with any AT&T branded Motorola, Westell, or 2-Wire modem that I tried (the DI-LB604 would work with a Netopia 2241, but not with any other Motorola/Netopia model that I tried). Hopefully you will have better luck.

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac to rxb216

MVM

to rxb216
With the modem doing the pppoe and also set to use the public ip
You can forward ports with the router
The router will have a public ip address and ddns will work
said by rxb216:

are there any disadvantages I will have by leaving pppoe on the modem, rather than the router?

No, not with this setup
said by rxb216:

Will programs on my clients that use UPNP be able to open ports and work properly??

That depends on how well the routers upnp works
rxb216
join:2010-05-08
Santa Clara, CA

rxb216

thanks for all your help guys, I used the public IP setting, and my dir-601 router works just dandy with ddns and port forwarding! yee-haw!!

maybe pppoe isn't so evil after all.....well...naaa i take it back, it still sucks when things get busted...at least my Crapcast here in santa clara doesn't need pppoe