dwane1972

Bell cuts throttling... due to success of UBB

FYI, DSLR folks...

»www.montrealgazette.com/ ··· ory.html
Samgee
join:2010-08-02
canada

Samgee

That many people moved to cable already, interesting.

Brown Eye
@videotron.ca

Brown Eye to dwane1972

Anon

to dwane1972
Bell is fulla shit.

The people to thank here are the likes of CIPPIC, CAIP, TSI, Acanac, and PIAC.

cant wait
@videotron.ca

cant wait to dwane1972

Anon

to dwane1972
Let's be honest here, Bell is actually betting that the resellers will be throttling their own users to control costs and to control congestion under the new scheme of things.

Some companies who shall remain unnamed, but you know who, have been profiting from Bell's throttle by selling work-arounds for the throttle. With the throttle gone this extra source of income will now be gone.

Can't wait to see how this will turn out come Feb., and how the resellers will justify extra charges "to prevent congestion".
Lynn0
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
Trenton, ON

Lynn0

Premium Member

said by cant wait :

Let's be honest here, Bell is actually betting that the resellers will be throttling their own users to control costs and to control congestion under the new scheme of things.

Some companies who shall remain unnamed, but you know who, have been profiting from Bell's throttle by selling work-arounds for the throttle. With the throttle gone this extra source of income will now be gone.

Can't wait to see how this will turn out come Feb., and how the resellers will justify extra charges "to prevent congestion".

Our owners have already stated we will NOT start throttling our customers to control cost or congestion.
I know Acanac offers SSH tunnel but users do not pay for it. So we will not be losing anything off of that service. Now the MLPPP they can get a single MLPPP for $10.00 if they buy the router so you are right there in saying we could lose there.

dsoegiarto
join:2010-04-16
Ottawa, ON

dsoegiarto to dwane1972

to dwane1972
»www.cbc.ca/news/technolo ··· ?cmp=rss

there's a link to a survey "would u move ISP if they're throttling" with over 90% said they will lol

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca to cant wait

Premium Member

to cant wait
said by cant wait :

There have been choices for no charge MLPPP for ages, whether that be for a single link or multiple links. Don't imagine that will change, except perhaps the demand for single line MLPPP.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction to cant wait

Premium Member

to cant wait
said by cant wait :

No judging from past experience they will be upfront about needing to charge more to cover their (inflated ) costs for bandwidth.

Punitive-style charges for congestion are bullshit that these providers wouldn't dare try to justify to their users.

cant wait
@videotron.ca

cant wait to rocca

Anon

to rocca
said by rocca:

said by cant wait :

There have been choices for no charge MLPPP for ages, whether that be for a single link or multiple links. Don't imagine that will change, except perhaps the demand for single line MLPPP.

This depends on the ISP.

As Lynn from Acanac pointed out herself, some ISP's have a throttle by-pass for cost.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by cant wait :

This depends on the ISP.

As Lynn from Acanac pointed out herself, some ISP's have a throttle by-pass for cost.

Teksavvy had MLPPP free for a long time, but then so many users started using it to bypass throttle, that they had to invest in dedicated hardware for it. That shit isn't cheap.

Besides, in TSI's case it was added to the Static IP/Usenet package, for a total of whopping $4 month.

cant wait
@videotron.ca

cant wait to Lynn0

Anon

to Lynn0
Actually, I wasn't referring to Acanac. However, since we are on the topic...
said by Lynn0:

Our owners have already stated we will NOT start throttling our customers to control cost or congestion.

Have the owners now back-peddled? Because they did state in Acanacs own forum that throttling their users at peak time is seriously on the table.

I haven't checked their forum for a couple of weeks, but have they now stated they won't on their forum?

sm5w2
Premium Member
join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON

sm5w2 to dwane1972

Premium Member

to dwane1972
Can I get a little clarification here?

I've never been a big user of bit-torrent, but I assume that "Bell cuts throttling" means that Bell will stop throttling bit-torrent. Yes? And just for clarification, has Bell throttled BT uploading more than downloading?

And just for completeness - does Bell throttle anything else other than bit-torrent? I mean currently? I believe that Bell was throttling Hotfile downloads in the past - did they say it was by mistake or something like that?

Basically, what *exactly* will Bell stop throttling at this point, and what have they throttled in the past?
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

kovy7 to cant wait

to cant wait
said by cant wait :

Actually, I wasn't referring to Acanac. However, since we are on the topic...

said by Lynn0:

Have the owners now back-peddled? Because they did state in Acanacs own forum that throttling their users at peak time is seriously on the table.

I haven't checked their forum for a couple of weeks, but have they now stated they won't on their forum?

I remember this as well...
jfmezei
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei to sm5w2

Premium Member

to sm5w2
sm5w2:

Yes, Bell will stop throttling certain TCP streams it believes are peer to peer. (this usually means bit torrent protocol streams).

Bell cripples uploads and downoads to the same speeds. Both under 30KB/s.

bell throttles anything that is encrypted except for well knowns ports such as TLS, VPN HTTPS and a couple of others. It is the only way for it to catch encrypted bittorrent streams since it can't see the signature inside the packets.

While there have been many rumours of hotfile being throttled, I do not beleive there has been credible information that this was throttled by Bell.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

So you move SSH to a non-standard port to help minimize attacks on your server and and that gets throttled too. Fortunately SSH traffic is typically very low bandwidth so most people who do that won't really notice the throttle.
Lynn0
Premium Member
Trenton, ON

1 edit

Lynn0 to cant wait

Premium Member

to cant wait
Ok I have checked and there's a chance we MIGHT throttle from 7PM to 11PM to 5Mbps to keep the prices down, but that's speculation, nothing carved in stone.

Michael9009
join:2006-07-28
Toronto, ON

Michael9009 to jfmezei

to jfmezei
said by jfmezei:

Bell cripples uploads and downoads to the same speeds. Both under 30KB/s.

Monsieur Mezei,

In my case, I was throttled from October 2008 (I believe) until March 2011. It's been nine months now since I haven't seen any throttling on my line. I have been connected to a remote DSLAM since December 2007.

I don't think Bell was throttling the upstream, but the downstream was limited as follows:

4:30 pm - 6:00 pm: max. speed limited to 60 kB/s (120 kB/s after January 2011)
6:00 pm - 1:00 am: max. speed limited to 30 kB/s (60 kB/s after January 2011)
1:00 am - 2:00 am: max. speed limited to 60 kB/s (120 kB/s after January 2011)
2:00 am - 4:30 pm: unlimited bandwidth

Pretty pathetic, but it's all history now. Maybe I should also buy a box of cookies.
Lynn0
Premium Member
Trenton, ON

Lynn0

Premium Member

"Pretty pathetic, but it's all history now. Maybe I should also buy a box of cookies. "

only if you share lol

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to Michael9009

Premium Member

to Michael9009
said by Michael9009:

....I don't think Bell was throttling the upstream, but the downstream was limited as follows....

....Pretty pathetic, but it's all history now. Maybe I should also buy a box of cookies.

Dunno about the bracketed figures, but when B#ELL was throttling me, your first numbers matched what I noticed, and I was thru B#ELL's Kingston BAS.

(Now with Cogeco as of last week - BHELL-FREE at last ! )

For me, throttling seemed to back off sometime earlier this year, but oddly enough would sometimes still seem to occur on Friday and Saturday nights, even recently.

As for COOKIES, might I suggest some of the Presidents Choice offerings, such as their Raisins First or Decadent brandings.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to dwane1972

Mod

to dwane1972
Since it seems that Bell considers capacity based billing the way they're going to implement it as the same as UBB, it's time for another consumer revolt, stating that the turd (from the animation about UBB) has just been shaped a little differently (like wabbit or deer droppings) but it's just as smelly and has a different name.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by sbrook:

Since it seems that Bell considers capacity based billing the way they're going to implement it as the same as UBB, it's time for another consumer revolt

This time around though, there are no clear numbers to publicize, no direct link between wholesale costs and retail prices. Depending on how ISPs manage the new tariffs and their subscriber base, the new tariffs may be no worse than the old ones.

ChucksTruck
@teksavvy.com

ChucksTruck to jfmezei

Anon

to jfmezei
Hotfile was always throttled until someone (with a paid for hotfile account) challenged Bell in court around 8 months ago. Ever since it's been unthrottled.

hmm
@videotron.ca

hmm

Anon

said by ChucksTruck :

Hotfile was always throttled until someone (with a paid for hotfile account) challenged Bell in court around 8 months ago. Ever since it's been unthrottled.

Have a link to that?

Ott_Cable
@teksavvy.com

Ott_Cable

Anon

»www.michaelgeist.ca/cont ··· 918/159/

>In November 2010, Bell Canada was hit with a complaint over throttling download speeds from Hotfile.com, an online locker service that lets users store and access music and other files from any computer. Bell admitted its deep-packet inspection technology was mistakenly treating downloads from the site as peer-to-peer activity and slowing connection speeds. Bell promised a fix, but only after asserting that it was compliant with the guidelines.

Merci la
@videotron.ca

Merci la

Anon

ty "ott".
jfmezei
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei to Ott_Cable

Premium Member

to Ott_Cable
is hotfile simple http downloads, or does it use some protocol which can be mistaken for p2p ?

Ott_Cable
@teksavvy.com

Ott_Cable

Anon

hotfile.com is HTTP downloads at least for cheap ass "Free" users.

IIgs
Premium Member
join:2002-10-05
Montreal, QC

IIgs to dwane1972

Premium Member

to dwane1972
So, will it be safe to cancel my MLPPP account with Teksavvy starting March 1st?

It'd be nice to lower my monthly cost, but I want to be sure throttling is totally and completely abolished before dropping my subscription.

Ott_Cable
@teksavvy.com

Ott_Cable

Anon

I don't know if you will be able to lower your monthly cost though as the new DSL tariff might cause a price increase.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to IIgs

Premium Member

to IIgs
said by IIgs:

So, will it be safe to cancel my MLPPP account with Teksavvy starting March 1st?

It'd be nice to lower my monthly cost, but I want to be sure throttling is totally and completely abolished before dropping my subscription.

Turn of MLPPP and see if you're not throttled anymore. I tried it about a month ago and throttle has been off since.