spc
Search similar:

uniqs

russr
join:2000-07-25
Hillsborough, NJ

1 edit

russr

[DVR] DCX-3501M not compatible with Xfinity App?

Click for full size
Manage DVRs & Cable Boxes
So I tried for a long time to get the latest DVR box from Comcast which is the DCX-3501M and last week I had it shipped to me and finally got it set up this weekend.

However, I see that this box is not compatible with the Xfinity TV app as the 'TV Control' feature is not supported. I thought this was an error at first so I called CS and set up a trouble ticket. They called me a couple of days later and told me that the DCX-3501M is not supported for TV Control and scheduling of recordings through the Xfinity app. I have a hard time believing this is true. Anyone else who has this box care to share?

I previously had the DCX-3400 and had no issues with the Xfinity App.

I should also add that this Moto DCX-3501M is also branded as an Xfinity RNG200N (not to be confused with the Cisco RNG200N).

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

3501? wonder if that is what comcast is shipping me. found a service center with the 500 gb hard drive which is plenty actually but what is the difference besides the 1tb hard drive.

Btw, my box also says Xfinity RNG200N on the front.

I also got the 3501 but how can I tell what size drive is in it?

russr
Hillsborough, NJ

russr

The 3501M is a 500GB hard drive.

PaulGo
join:2005-01-29
Gaithersburg, MD

PaulGo to russr

to russr
I have the Comcast DCX3501 and I just tried it with the Xfinity TV app (android) and it works. I can schedule a recording and change channels.

russr
Hillsborough, NJ

russr

said by PaulGo:

I have the Comcast DCX3501 and I just tried it with the Xfinity TV app (android) and it works. I can schedule a recording and change channels.

Thanks for letting me know. I've made several calls to Comcast and they won't do anything to fix it as they say the box is simply not supported.

What is the model number written on the front of your box? Does it says RNG200N? What does it say on the bottom of the box?

PaulGo
Gaithersburg, MD

PaulGo

The front says RNG200N. It is the Motorola DCX3501. It would be difficult to get to the bottom of the box.

russr
Hillsborough, NJ

russr

Ok that is exactly what mine says. Can you log into comcast.net go to the mydvr section and click on settings? Tell me if you see a screen similar to the one I posted.

I can't seem to get Comcast to do anything to help me as this box comes up in their system as one that does not support the Xfinity TV app/changing channels or scheduling recordings.

Any ideas?

PaulGo
Gaithersburg, MD

PaulGo

On my computer the DVR function is fully available. I also had a DCX3400 which was swapped out. Since this is a new box sometimes the Comcast techs input the wrong code for the box to be fully recognized. When I first got my DCX3400 it would not receive some channels and the first two techs I spoke to did not know how to fix it. I finally got a tech who put in the correct codes for the box. Try We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com. They have techs there that know what they are doing.

simple
@spcsdns.net

simple to russr

Anon

to russr
Simple fix. A simple hit and a collection will remedy that.

russr
Hillsborough, NJ

russr

What does that mean?

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako

Premium Member

Call 800-COMCAST and ask the clueless folks there for a hit and a collection.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to mikedz4

to mikedz4
maybe the type of cablecard it uses, but i remember seeing a cisco logo on the front and back of the device itself and the beginning of the serial number starts with PK
Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf to russr

to russr
basically a hit and collect is Comcast sending a signal (hit) and recieving information back from it (collect) its like pinging your router and finding out stuff like ip address and model number for lack of a better example
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to russr

Premium Member

to russr
usually just called sending a hit. its one of the first steps in box trouble shooting when channels are missing. its kind of like rebooting a cable modem if someone is not getting the right speed level even if billing has the right thing, sometimes the CPE has to be reminded of what it is and what it should be doing.

I will state the app is pretty nifty, I have set my DVR here in Jersey from California using my phone.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

said by Kearnstd:

usually just called sending a hit... sometimes the CPE has to be reminded of what it is and what it should be doing.

Just like people every now and then

russr
Hillsborough, NJ

russr to Kearnstd

to Kearnstd
Just to update you guys. I had ComcastSteve in the one-on-one section send the box several hits. It unfortunately did not resolve the issue. It is still exactly as posted in the screenshot in my original post.

Any other ideas?

PaulGo
Gaithersburg, MD

PaulGo to russr

to russr
Sending a hit will not fix the problem if Comcast has your box miscoded. See my advice above.

russr
Hillsborough, NJ

russr

PaulGo, should I just ask ComcastSteve to verify that the correct codes are in for my box?

PaulGo
Gaithersburg, MD

PaulGo

Yes that would be s start, but some of the techs don't have a clue.

russr
Hillsborough, NJ

russr

Yeah it's sad, but everyone I've talked to has been clueless and told me that there's nothing that they can do on their end. They said that the DCX-3501 is not supported and that if I want TV Control, I should get a different box.

PaulGo
Gaithersburg, MD

1 recommendation

PaulGo

Again, try We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com they have people there who know what they are doing. You can also mention I have the DCX3501 and the app does work - in fact I used it New Years eve on my android phone.

russr
Hillsborough, NJ

russr

Just wanted to let you guys know that with ComcastSteve's help over in the Comcast Direct section, this issue was resolved. I guess it wasn't a simple thing because it took them several tries to get it working. He informed me that a 'coding was missing'.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to PaulGo

Premium Member

to PaulGo
said by PaulGo:

I finally got a tech who put in the correct codes for the box.

Hmmm..sounds familiar...

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to russr

to russr
Don't feel bad. I couldn't get caller id on either box. Finally yesterday a lady from Denver called and had it fixed quickly. Works flawlessly now.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

still no word on how to block the interactive services huh