spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

noEncryption

@dslextreme.com

No Wifi Encryption, any software to do the job?

Hi

When I use Wifi at my school, they haven't implemented any sort of encryption for some reason. No WEP, no WPA, nothing...just simple access with no password.

Obviously this a no-no, but since I can't force them to change, is there any software that I can install on my computer that would encrypt all data so the incoming/outgoing network transmission is safe from hackers scanning the wifi?

Would appreciate any advise on this, thank you.

sbconslt

join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA

Use a VPN layer in that situation, with your own remote gateway. Also good for circumventing content filtering.
--
Scott Brown Consulting

noEncryption

@dslextreme.com

Is there another way than having to keep a home computer/server on?

It seems there is a way for Linux machines to do this, SSH tunnel and connecting the browser to a specific port as a proxy.

I can't seem to find a way to set up a Windows machine to encrypt traffic.

noEncryption

@dslextreme.com
reply to noEncryption

After further research it seems I would still need a remote host for a SSH tunnel to work.

Otherwise packets sent would be encrypted but when packets are received won't be. Makes sense.

So even software to encrypt traffic would be pointless.

Guess I need to look for a reputable service provider that could be a remote host.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
reply to noEncryption

Use 'https' instead of 'http' whenever possible to get maximum security over an open connection. Many sites have this option.

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to noEncryption

I have run various SSH or VPN (PPTP, SSL-Explorer or OpenVPN for example) servers at home in the past so I could safe surf so to speak while traveling. If you have a supported router you can also run third party firmware like DD-WRT that includes a SSH or VPN server function. Lastly there are services like HotSpotShield for example that you can use to connect securely at public hotspots.

You might post/search the BBR VPN forum for more in-depth help...

»Virtual Private Networking

Juggernaut's comments about using secure web sites, when possible, for banking, online commerce, etc is well taken. You might also check with your email provider to see if they offer SSL email which encrypts the email between your computer and their email servers. If they don't you might consider switching to Gmail for example which does.

Note that with all of these strategies the data link from your computer is only encrypted to the server your connecting to. Past that there is no guarantee.

This post has links to threads concerning the issue...

»Re: public unsecured wireless internet

--
"When all else fails read the instructions..."
MS-MVP Windows Expert - Consumer

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18

1 recommendation

reply to noEncryption

Unless you control the endpoints, expect that your traffic CAN and WILL be sniffed / captured / etc.

AFAIK, Windows works good as a PPTP endpoint as it has the client software built in, but you're
looking at a Windows Server Edition installation to function as the headend. Can check the forum's
VPN section for additional information on this.

Regards

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK
kudos:5

1 recommendation

said by HELLFIRE:

Unless you control the endpoints, expect that your traffic CAN and WILL be sniffed / captured / etc.

AFAIK, Windows works good as a PPTP endpoint as it has the client software built in, but you're
looking at a Windows Server Edition installation to function as the headend
. Can check the forum's
VPN section for additional information on this.

Regards

You can use the built-in PPTP VPN server function on Win 7, Vista and XP. I have done that in the past...

»theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/V···VPN.html
--
"When all else fails read the instructions..."
MS-MVP Windows Expert - Consumer

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to noEncryption

Can't get to that page right now SoonerAl, but I did find some visual guides on how
to configure a VPN headend for 2K and XP here and here. Thanks for the confirmation!

Regards

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
reply to noEncryption

Why is this a no no?

Use https, problem solved.

join:2011-09-29
reply to noEncryption

It happens with me also when I am in school and after that even in college also.. Whenever I opened my wireless network or WiFi it displays a message if there is access with password...

DelmarPip
Premium
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX
reply to noEncryption

is that what wep or wpa does encrypt all the stuff that goes from your pc to the router i thought all it did was like a thingy that well a password thingy so your device/pc can get acces thru the router out to the internet right ?

sbconslt

join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA

said by DelmarPip:

is that what wep or wpa does encrypt all the stuff that goes from your pc to the router i thought all it did was like a thingy that well a password thingy so your device/pc can get acces thru the router out to the internet right ?

The wireless security protocol on a router provides both access control and confidentiality.
--
Scott Brown Consulting

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
reply to noEncryption

All packets are encrypted to the Router using a single password, so anybody else on the same router or with access to the key can intercept all traffic.

Use https or an encrypted VPN if your concerned and / or sharing access with others.