spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Cisco Kid

@rr.com

[Internet] ISPGEEK Site possible issues.

Decided to run speed test did so with AntiVirus off and Firewall Off. Service; Lighning 40/5.

Ran the official BHN speed test.....39.4\4.95

Run the ISPGEEKS at

»www.ispgeeks.com/wild/modules.ph···pipSpeed

It came back 21.3\4.94 (ran it 3 times....results basically were the same). What is strange, or at least I think so, the download started way up at 33.7 then dropped way down to 21

Is the ISPGEEKS site having some Issues? I have not run speed tests for quite some time but the last I ran both the tests above, the findings were darn close.....

TURBO1112

join:2010-04-28
Dade City, FL
My download was perfect. But my Upload came back horrible.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:156

2 edits
reply to Cisco Kid
Same here as turbos. Honestly that is a question you need to post there. The folks there will look into it.

In the meantime I did some quick checking and assuming your path to geeks is the same as those of us in the TPA market it does appear that nlayer outbound is having issues which might affect the site. Honestly though... post that question there and Nick will get right on it I'm sure.

I tried the TX-Speed test as well and it is also having a similar problem. Both routes are different and both show substantial offj-net issues at the moment. Not to worry its not likely you.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

4 edits
reply to Cisco Kid
This is a prime opportunity for me to spread some education about speed tests. Guys this can happen to any speed test site and you need to keep this in mind before getting worried about your test results. From a service standpoint always check on-net first and if things look good there at least you know the service that BHN has control over is working fine. Then and only then if you feel so motivated to use an off-net test go out there and select a reputable test. If the results aren't what you expect try another and always pick major datacenter locations NOT some test out in the middle of nowhere and don't forget that distance does matter.

And for gods sakes don't over test. You don't need to test your connection 20 times a day (no I mean it...don't do it..it will make you crazy) . As for ping tests we're not even gonna go there...some months ago I did a nice long and very detailed thread on timing...it's still here...find it if you must but I'm not even going down that path again.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Einstein~

Cisco Kid

@rr.com
Just for the heck of it, I tried the ispgeeks Site again; same results. I did not notify ispgeeks....thought others might or, they would realize issue over this time period and correct.

Do not see the email address address to notify ispgeeks......

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to BHNtechXpert
Well... Bad thing is if you go to five different speed tests, and they all tell you 6.5/.9 (on a 10/1 tier).. then you go to BHN's test and they tell you 10.1/1.1 or something like that.

How in the hell is that right? A majority of the Internet is NOT on BHN's network, so what good is an advertised 10/1 connection if you never get it except on BHN's network?

That's like saying your car has 300HP, but only if you drive on roads built by Ford....
--
"F is for Fire that burns down the whole town...
U is for Uranium...... Bombs...
N is for NO SURVIVORS!!!!!" Sheldon Plankton

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit
reply to Cisco Kid
said by Cisco Kid :

Just for the heck of it, I tried the ispgeeks Site again; same results. I did not notify ispgeeks....thought others might or, they would realize issue over this time period and correct.

Do not see the email address address to notify ispgeeks......

Cisco I just tried their tests and no problems on either server. Exactly what I would expect to get. Therefore send me your modem MAC and let me maker sure everything is going well on your end. In meantime post SCREENSHOTS of your geeks results AND SCREENSHOTS of your on net results.

Posting about it here however is counterproductive because it's doubtful they monitor this thread or site much. If you are truly having problems then you need to contact bdwarr6 or broadband over there and let them know. I see nothing however worthy of reporting at this time however because I ran some tests here and all is fine.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Einstein~

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to neonhomer
said by neonhomer:

Well... Bad thing is if you go to five different speed tests, and they all tell you 6.5/.9 (on a 10/1 tier).. then you go to BHN's test and they tell you 10.1/1.1 or something like that.

How in the hell is that right? A majority of the Internet is NOT on BHN's network, so what good is an advertised 10/1 connection if you never get it except on BHN's network?

That's like saying your car has 300HP, but only if you drive on roads built by Ford....

Neon no provider has control over anything outside their network and to expect it is unrealistic and demonstrates a lack of working understanding on how the internet works. We would love to be able to insure network stability everywhere you traverse on the internet and maybe in a perfect world that might someday be the case....today however we do not live in that perfect world and all we can do is insure that everything on our end is right and hope that everyone else does their job.
--

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL
I don't know where I was going with that. Just irritation as speed... or the lack thereof.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by neonhomer:

I don't know where I was going with that. Just irritation as speed... or the lack thereof.

Why are you going to five DIFFERENT speed test sites to begin with? You realize each destination will cause you to traverse a different path on the internet and each will have their own potential network or server bottlenecks that impede accurate resilts NONE of which you will know about or have any control over. Pick one site and test server and stick with it and DON'T test unless you suspect a problem...first testing on net and if all goes well then you know the issue resides off net and beyond the scope or control of your local provider.
--

cisco kid

@rr.com
reply to BHNtechXpert
Click for full size
Click for full size
What is strange, when the ispgeek test start it always goes to 33.+....then drops to 20+ and always ends up between 20 & 21mb. The Up side is always fine.

The results I am showing from the BHN test are consistent with prior tests.

This is not so much about issues with my speed as it is a "why would the ispgeeks test that in the past has always been spot on with the BHN tests suddenly show this difference....and why would you be able to run with no issues....and for weeks I have had issues with this sites results?

Please, I know your opinion about doing speed tests.....this again is more about why I am having issues with this site...

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

Why are you going to five DIFFERENT speed test sites to begin with?

"On second thought, I have changed my mind. Take me back..."

--
"F is for Fire that burns down the whole town...
U is for Uranium...... Bombs...
N is for NO SURVIVORS!!!!!" Sheldon Plankton

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to cisco kid
said by cisco kid :

What is strange, when the ispgeek test start it always goes to 33.+....then drops to 20+ and always ends up between 20 & 21mb. The Up side is always fine.

The results I am showing from the BHN test are consistent with prior tests.

This is not so much about issues with my speed as it is a "why would the ispgeeks test that in the past has always been spot on with the BHN tests suddenly show this difference....and why would you be able to run with no issues....and for weeks I have had issues with this sites results?

Please, I know your opinion about doing speed tests.....this again is more about why I am having issues with this site...

Any number of things may have changed. Your route to that particular test server (they have three). Your antivirus could be interfering with the test method...you name it. Try disabling all anti-virus, make sure you are wired, and test again. Again I can't stress this enough...these are questions you need to take up with them.. We know it's not us based on your on-net test so utlimately you need to raise the issue with Ispgeeks directly. They have forums..use them. I'll help you as much as I can (which I have done already) but at this point you need to speak directly to the horse...
--

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX
kudos:6
reply to Cisco Kid
Try this site instead: »myspeed.visualware.com/index.php

It uses exacty the same software as the ispgeeks site does but you get many more options for test sites.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
LOL 3 of them are geeks servers

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
Corpus Christi, TX
Yea that software actually belongs to the site I linked. You can become a test site and you get their software to put on your site.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by CptGemini:

Yea that software actually belongs to the site I linked. You can become a test site and you get their software to put on your site.

LOL again... not that easy sparky. First of all you need to have a dedicated server where they want one with a very fat pipe and bandwidth to spare. Two it must qualify (not easy) and finally it must stay qualified (even harder). The process is easy but the qualification will make you crazy. Having done it a half dozen times in 5 years. BUT if you have a good box to spare and bandwidth to match on a high quality network (well peered) and can maintain it flawlessly (the hard part) it's a great deal.
--

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
Corpus Christi, TX
Yea thats kinda what I meant. I'm multitasking right now so I left that bit of info out lol.