uniqs
share rss forum feed

Kanebrake
Hendricks Motorsports
Premium
join:2002-03-12

masking IP??

Click for full size
I'm setting up a web page using Sitespinner and Server 2008 r2.
What I would like is when the client hovers over a link it would show the domain name not the ip address. Like the pic.
Not sure how to do this.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:3

Set the attribute "title" in the link with whatever you want it to say.

<a href="http://www.aol.com" title="Click here to go to AOL.com">aol.com</a>

Back in the day you could have used javascript to even change the text as it appears in the status bar, but I don't think you can do that anymore.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to Kanebrake

You realize that you're not "masking" it, right?
If someone wants to find the IP a simple ping is all it takes.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to Rob

The title attribute will only change what the link popup tool tip will say. The URL shown in the bottom corner in all current web browsers except Safari is the href attribute. If it's showing an IP address there, then the href attribute has an IP address. What is shown can't be changed (unless there's a bug) as it defeats the whole purpose of showing what the href is.

Kanebrake
Hendricks Motorsports
Premium
reply to Kanebrake

thanks guys .... will try this.
as for masking, I couldn't think of what the heck to call it.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:3
reply to cdru

You are right. I thought the example he was using was the hover.

Kanebrake
Hendricks Motorsports
Premium

Rob, what I'm asking is why when I hover over the link CheckSite.us in your sig I see a name instead of a IP address. In other words why do I see h**p://www.checksite.us/ instead of say h**p://1.2.3.4/

Kanebrake
Hendricks Motorsports
Premium

Click for full size
another example. if I host this website on my server I see an IP address such as h**p://1.2.3.4/Word/gospelharmony.pdf instead of what you see in the pic.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

said by Kanebrake:

another example. if I host this website on my server I see an IP address such as h**p://1.2.3.4/Word/gospelharmony.pdf instead of what you see in the pic.

What URL are you using to access the page? And what is the anchor href's pointed to? If the anchors do not include a full URL and is relative to the current site, the browser will just use what the current page URL domain name.

Kanebrake
Hendricks Motorsports
Premium

cdru ...as mentioned above I'm using Sitespinner to create this website. I upload the site to christian web hosting vie ftp and it shows up like the pic. If I upload the same website to my server 2008 r2 it shows up as IP numbers instead of newhope-baptist.net. Also I have the name without the - registered with namecheap which I use for the server 2008 site. Both sites are exactly the same. Just the name and where there hosted is different.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

On your downloads page for instance, a example URL is:

<a href="./Word/KJV10.zip" class ="txt2">King James Bible</a>(plain text version) 1.3 MB

The href is relative to the current site that you are accessing. If you go to »newhope-baptist.net, go to the downloads page, the King James bible link will show up as "http://newhope-baptist.net/Word/KJV10.zip". If you go to »newhopebaptist.net, it will show up as "http://newhopebaptist.net/Word/KJV10.zip". If you access it on your server, it will be »<your hostname or address>/Word/KJV10.zip.

If you want your URLs to always have the same hostname, you can specify the tag as:

<a href="http://newhope-baptist.com/Word/KJV10.zip" class ="txt2">King James Bible</a>(plain text version) 1.3 MB