uniqs

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA

thedragonmas

Premium Member

EAS knocks out clearQAM

yeah i know, but still wanted to report that the EAS test this morning in albany, ga (at about 9:30am) knocked out all clear qam channels, flipped over to analog and the test screen was fuzzy as all get out.

lotusracer
Premium Member
join:1999-11-26
Moline, IL

lotusracer

Premium Member

I've had the EAS test play games with my dtas as well.

No idea when the test happens, but when I turn on the tv, the EAS test screen is still up.. a vcr records only "snow" and static...

bumping the channel up or down goes to the next station from where I was at and the picture on all channels comes back.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas

Premium Member

got some sever weather goin through, and yup, every alert knocks out QAM and is "fuzzy" what i want to know is if there not going to fix this what are they going to do when they go full digital? just have all channels black out with no notice or any thing? because if you only watch clear QAM thats what you get now.. extremely annoying especially if your watching local news in HD for weather alerts and they just go "no signal" when EAS kicks in.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to thedragonmas

Premium Member

to thedragonmas
My apologies for missing this post earlier. Have you noticed the EAS recently? If so, did it knock the QAM channels out?

lotusracer
Premium Member
Moline, IL

lotusracer

Premium Member

said by MediacomChad:

My apologies for missing this post earlier. Have you noticed the EAS recently? If so, did it knock the QAM channels out?

I haven't noticed any problems with it in Moline, Illinois with QAM or dta channels for quite some time

IowaMan
Premium Member
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

IowaMan to MediacomChad

Premium Member

to MediacomChad
Why does this happen?

thedragonmas
Premium Member
Albany, GA

thedragonmas to MediacomChad

Premium Member

to MediacomChad
i havent been able to catch it lately, they dont seem to run it at the same time (or day) every time so i can make it a point to check it.

ill try to keep an eye out.

lotusracer
Premium Member
Moline, IL

lotusracer

Premium Member

said by thedragonmas:

i havent been able to catch it lately, they dont seem to run it at the same time (or day) every time so i can make it a point to check it.

I've noticed that as well....
CR_Client
join:2005-02-04
Cedar Rapids, IA

CR_Client

It's a requirement of the EAS that it be tested at different/random times of the day each time it's tested, to ensure that there aren't any day/time-related blocks to the signal.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
Albany, GA

thedragonmas

Premium Member

got lucky to day, caught it between 1 and 2pm, sorry i cant be more specific on that, i was busy fixing this system at the time. still knocks out clearQAM
thedragonmas

thedragonmas

Premium Member

wednesday 11:10am , still knocks it out, though i didnt see a whole lot of static.

i was lucky this time, had one tv on analog (other room) and the one in the room i was in was on 102.3, 102.3 knockd out a second before i heard the blasting tone from the other tv, i say blasting because i flipped over to analog real quick to see if it had any static and that tone was loud! the last time i caught it you could hear "static" when it first came on, kinda like a bad switch.
DoctorX
join:2010-08-01

DoctorX to thedragonmas

to thedragonmas
on mce... it freaks it out also... Have to restart the computer.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

Premium Member

to thedragonmas
I've sent this up to the local headend tech. This is being investigated but I don't have much information right now.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas

Premium Member

said by MediacomChad:

I've sent this up to the local headend tech. This is being investigated but I don't have much information right now.

thanks

just a followup, 11:10am (ET) the same..

kwbelt1
join:2006-06-03
Harrisburg, IL

kwbelt1 to thedragonmas

to thedragonmas
I'll add S. Illinois to this issue. Around 1am a weekly test flashed up for a split second and then 'snow' followed by the tv displaying "no signal" on all but analog channels. Five or ten minutes later the signal was still out.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

Premium Member

to thedragonmas
I received word back from the headend technicians this morning. According to them, this is supposed to happen. EAS is designed to take priority on all channels except those that are reserved for high-speed internet.

From our HE Tech:

"This is supposed to happen. The only channels that are NOT affected are the hsd channels. All other channels are affected when the EAS alert goes off."

lotusracer
Premium Member
Moline, IL

lotusracer

Premium Member

said by MediacomChad:

I received word back from the headend technicians this morning. According to them, this is supposed to happen. EAS is designed to take priority on all channels except those that are reserved for high-speed internet.

but why when the test is ended, do things not return to the way they were?

thedragonmas
Premium Member
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

1 recommendation

thedragonmas to MediacomChad

Premium Member

to MediacomChad
said by MediacomChad:

From our HE Tech:

"This is supposed to happen. The only channels that are NOT affected are the hsd channels. All other channels are affected when the EAS alert goes off."

well to be blunt, thats just flat out dumb design :|

as pointed out, if im watching 112.3 (local NBC) during severe weather why on earth would they want to knock out that channel? the alert does nothing but cause people to instantly mute it because of how loud it is. while the nbc channel has live radar with a weather guesser right there telling you whats going on,, complete with an EAS crawl on the channel..

so basically your telling me that during severe weather if i actually want to be able to hear local reports about damage road closures etc, i might as well get an antenna because other wise im just SOL?
k9iua6
join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA

k9iua6

There must be something specifically not right in your particular head-end. Here in Dubuque, Mediacom's implementation of EAS works fine. Mediacom bursts onto all the channels with a audio message and special screen, twice repeating "An emergency alert is in effect, please tune to channel XX", and then goes back to regular programming on each channel. If you go to XX (it used to be channel 19; I cannot recall what it currently is), then you can hear the NOAA weather radio message or whatever in full, and then even that channel goes back to what it normally is.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas

Premium Member

yeah, ours is a black screen light text, an amazingly loud tone, the text indicates if its a test or an alert, the audio is just a repeat of the weather radio audio (which oddly enough is about a minute behind my weather radio) it does go back to the channel.

but my issue is it knocking out locals and knocking out digital in its entirety, not just showing the alert but literally knocking signal out. (tv shows "no signal)

back when TCI (then att) owned this system, youd get the tone, and if you had one of their box's youd be auto switched to the weather channel for the noaa,.. but if you where on a local channel nothing would happen because youd all ready be getting that info from the local. if you didnt have one of their box's you got that alert tone on every channel, EXCEPT the weather channel and the locals.

well like i originally said its not a majore thing, its just extreamly annoying, guess ill need to get an antenna for when severe weathers around so i can actually get local info (instead of alerts for 3 counties away!) of course if i did that, thered not be much use in paying for basic eh? :: shrugs ::