uniqs
share rss forum feed

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
reply to mariod

Re: Trying to get an HDMI DVR...insanity realized

I am not going to sit here and keep repeating my self. You can change any thing you to suit your allusion on my post. So far you been wrong on pricing, HDD size, costs.
--
Caddy

mariod

join:2009-06-16

1 edit

said by Caddyroger:

So far you been wrong on pricing, HDD size, costs.

Prove it.

Tivos cost $600 for a lifetime subscription.
Comcast Multi-Room DVRs are twice the size of a regular tivo HD.
And cablecards cost $7 a month for two of them if you don't have another STB.

I've linked to the proof of each of those facts.

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to lorennerol

Interesting thread. Let me throw in my experience.

I am looking at a silver box with a DVR and HD on top of my Sylvania, Standard Definition 19" TV. Not sure of the outputs, like HDMI or whatnot, not going to get up and look.

Last May the regular, bare-bones, STB crapped out, I made a quick trip to a Comcast Center to exchange and this monstrosity was all they had in stock, so they gave it to me as a substitute.

I do not have HD nor DVR on the account. Just the Digital Starter Package. And am paying nothing extra for this thing of no use to me.

So these machines you want are out there, they are just in the hands of customers, such as myself.

So everyone, that is arguing with each other, chew on this.

Oh... Merry Christmas, all!

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15

2 edits
reply to Anonymous_

said by Anonymous_:

WRONG
DIGITAL is subject to signal loss also. OR anything that uses a copper wire/ Wireless "digital stuff".

Pixelation
Copy protection issues
Poor sound quality
Signal blocked/degraded (see Pixelation & Poor sound quality) by weather conditions such as clouds,rain,wind,fog.
Electromagnetic pulse (everything with a microchip will be fried anyways)

Anyone that uses Over the air TV ,satellite or cable ARE Subject to the issues above. Especially over the air TV.

THE ONLY DIGITAL transfer that is not effected is fiber optic.

But fiber optic is still subject to signal loss. but is very minimal to null depending on how many miles the cable is.

Fiber optic is affected by all of the above as it's just a medium, not the signal, and you mostly listed SIGNAL issues. It's also commonly used to transport analog signal, not just digital. With the necessary electronics on either end, it's just as susceptible to EMP.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

lorennerol
Premium
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA
reply to lorennerol

Got the box in the mail today. DCT3416.

So for those who were under the impression that Comcast shipped the newer DCX models for mail orders, not so much.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
reply to lorennerol

Just as a note - not comcasts fault you didn't wire your TV with all the connections you may possibly need for different devices. I always run a component connect and RCA audio connection even if it wont be used. Because some day, there will need to be something connected (VCR, camcorder, Wii, etc.) that won't use HDMI.

Maybe next time, you should do a little planning ahead and spend the extra $10 on rapidrun cable and just leave it sit there. Then you could at least use something until you get the box you want.
--
Ex-Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my former employer.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3

dont you mean composite video and audio cables beach?

gustavenla68

join:2011-02-24
Carlisle, PA

1 recommendation

All you have to do is sign up for any room DVR. Then cancel it and return the extra box the same day. that way you have the latest and largest DVR.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

an idea, yes it is.

yhp

join:2006-12-27
Philadelphia, PA
reply to lorennerol

Welcome to Glorious People's Comcast, comrade.

All the defensive chatter about HDMI-this and component-that in this thread is a smokescreen for the basic service failures of Comcast's. It's a mind-blowing attempt to make Comcast's failures your fault.

This whole "show up at gulag, maybe we haff right box for you today?" business? It's been going on as long as I've been a customer of theirs - since about 1999, IIRC. The only exception was when they introduced the Motorola DCX3400 series in our area. For a short time, it was possible to call them, order a model, and have it delivered. So nothing's changed in 12 years. Obviously, there's no problem. (See how easy that is??)

yhp

Philadelphia, PA
reply to mariod

quote:
Everyone pays the same price for the same services.

In what universe do an energy-hungry 250GB DVR and an Energy-star compliant 500GB DVR provide the "same services"?

mbub

@comcast.net
reply to lorennerol

hopefully i can provide some useful insight....just random stuff

they aren't allowed to give you boxes other customers has just returned, as they need to be tested for failures and cleaned up. who would want take back home a box after driving 30 mins or so and find out that it's not working or the previous customer spilled honey on the box and ruined your car on the drive back without you noticing...

there indeed is an inventory system down the serial number/host box/mcard/mac address and etc...

like someone previously stated, boxes are categorized by their type to subscribers; SD, HD, HD DVR and so forth.

if you want a DCX3400 you just have to keep going back and forth to the store or a local payment center. from the title i assumed you only wanted a DVR with HDMI, and those are plenty to go around. with the recent thailand flooding even new boxes straight from motorola are at limited supplies and should continue well into the first quarter of 2012.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal
reply to yhp

said by yhp:

quote:

In what universe do an energy-hungry 250GB DVR and an Energy-star compliant 500GB DVR provide the "same services"?

When they are both HD DVRs and that is the service package purchased.

Comcast doesn't sell tiers of DVR services based on capacity or output port available. You can't pay any more or less to get different outputs or drive sizes, you just pay for HD DVR service.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

yhp

Philadelphia, PA
reply to mbub

quote:
with the recent thailand flooding even new boxes straight from motorola are at limited supplies and should continue well into the first quarter of 2012.

LOL. Yeah, that's the ticket.... the (at least) decade-long service problem is due to the recent flooding in Thailand.

yhp

Philadelphia, PA

1 recommendation

reply to DrDrew

said by DrDrew:

said by yhp:

quote:

Comcast doesn't sell tiers of DVR services based on capacity or output port available. You can't pay any more or less to get different outputs or drive sizes, you just pay for HD DVR service.

Like a brothel where you can't pick out your hooker - as long as you have a happy ending, it's all the same. I guess that's a solid service approach if you're the only cathouse in town...

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

said by yhp:

Like a brothel where you can't pick out your hooker - as long as you have a happy ending, it's all the same. I guess that's a solid service approach if you're the only cathouse in town...

Most video providers including Verizon do the same
--

halfband
Premium
join:2002-06-01
Huntsville, AL
reply to DrDrew

said by DrDrew:

Comcast doesn't sell tiers of DVR services based on capacity or output port available. You can't pay any more or less to get different outputs or drive sizes, you just pay for HD DVR service

What you say is technically true, but it really does not address the point of this thread. While the service sold may be
"the same" the feature sets of different set tops do differ. We all know they are not all created equal and some customers may have have requirements that would favor specific boxes. HDMI is hardly an unusual port and could easily be the best answer to some equipment configurations. That comcast does not provide any method short of (possibly inconvenient) trips to the local office, with random outcomes, to acquire a box with HDMI is simply a lack of customer service. That "other behave the same way" really only indicated how little power the consumer has when dealing with industries in an oligopoly environment.
--
Registered Bandwidth Offender #40812

yhp

Philadelphia, PA
reply to DrDrew

I doubt any other company is trying to foist off models without (HDMI) slots on its customers in 2011.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to mbub

said by mbub :

with the recent thailand flooding even new boxes straight from motorola are at limited supplies and should continue well into the first quarter of 2012.

i know that this is causing hard drive shortages across the board for retail sales, PC manufacturing, and DVR manufacturing, for most of the companies.

yhp

Philadelphia, PA

said by Mike Wolf:

said by mbub :

i know that this is causing hard drive shortages across the board for retail sales, PC manufacturing, and DVR manufacturing, for most of the companies.

A hardware shortage would affect wait times for a particular piece of hardware.

Comcast's policy of not even putting a customer on a waitlist for a particular piece of hardware precedes the Thailand flooding.

GTFan

join:2004-12-03
reply to mbub

said by mbub :

if you want a DCX3400 you just have to keep going back and forth to the store or a local payment center.

LOL, and wait 30+ minutes in line every time. yhp has it right, the commies had nothing on the Comcast bread lines. It's only this way because they are the only cableCo in town for most folks.

Just another reason to use a Tivo IMO, because you get what you want and can easily expand or use additional features on it (such as video transfers to/from PCs and other devices) to meet your needs.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to yhp

I agree, I'm just pointing out that if a customer was waiting on the sidelines to exchange a box hoping to get a "new" model, the flooding would have exacerbated the wait.

yhp

Philadelphia, PA

said by Mike Wolf:

I agree, I'm just pointing out that if a customer was waiting on the sidelines to exchange a box hoping to get a "new" model, the flooding would have exacerbated the wait.

Whether the expected wait is a burden is up to the customer.

When I place a hold on an e-book title with my local library, I immediately learn

1) How many copies of the title are in circulation
2) How many readers are ahead of me "in line" with a hold on the title

and I can check on the progress of both every day if I like, deciding for myself whether I'm getting close enough fast enough, or should simply go another route to read the title before I'm dead. When my turn does come, I get an automated email notification, and I have three days to use it or lose it.

No one can control the weather in Thailand, but maybe Comcast should hire some librarians anyway. Their problems have nothing to do with the weather.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
reply to Mike Wolf

said by Mike Wolf:

dont you mean composite video and audio cables beach?

No, because you can snag one of the video cables on component and use it as composite video if needed. Some TV's (Like my samsung in a guest room) do this automagically.
--
Ex-Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my former employer.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
reply to DrDrew

Fiber is glass or plastic Physically the cable does not.

By the way I was talking about the cable it self
the only way to interrupt the signal inside is to cut the cable

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

said by Anonymous_:

Fiber is glass or plastic Physically the cable does not.

By the way I was talking about the cable it self
the only way to interrupt the signal inside is to cut the cable

...or bend it, or smash it, or burn it, or stretch it...

I work with fiber all the time. I know what it's capable of and what causes problems for it.
--

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to beachintech

ah touche