Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL

Zip Code at pump for gas

I noticed at a gas pump that I had to type in my Zip Code, before I could in put in gas in my gas tank.

#1 Does that really makes a difference?

#2 If so, how much more secure does it make paying at the gas pump for gas?

Thanks.
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
kudos:1

If someone gets my card and does not enter the correct zip code associated with the card, it is rejected.

It is a little added security, that is better than none.

sbconslt

join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA
reply to aefstoggaflm

Two factor authentication. Something you have plus something you know. Significantly more secure.
--
Scott Brown Consulting

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
reply to aefstoggaflm

My AMEX card requires it.

In the People's Republic, where I live, if you don't give it at the pump you have to go into the office and give it there.

I'm sure it varies from state to state.
--
Printed on 100% Recycled Bytes

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
join:2000-10-05
Seaside, CA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to aefstoggaflm

That usually happens when you're using your debit card at the pump.

In fact, I've had my card declined even after entering the correct zip code when the zip code was out of state. I hadn't updated my address with my bank and the pump somehow knew it wasn't a california zip...so I was forced to go inside.

- FM
--
I bid 50 quatloos that the newcomers will fail...

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
Reviews:
·Stablehost.com
reply to aefstoggaflm

I travel all winter. I use cc not debit for gas. Depends on the retailer if they want a zipcode. It's very rare when I have to go inside. And if it requires me to, I just go to the next station.

The retailer gets a better rate if they add the zipcode.

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to aefstoggaflm

said by aefstoggaflm:

I noticed at a gas pump that I had to type in my Zip Code, before I could in put in gas in my gas tank.

#1 Does that really makes a difference?

That depends on who is using the card.
If the legit owner is using the card it would only make a difference if they couldn't recall the zip code the billing statement is mailed to. I'd think not giving that a person a tank of gas to be a good thing along with anyone else who can't supply a correct answer to a simple question.
said by aefstoggaflm:

#2 If so, how much more secure does it make paying at the gas pump for gas?

It's in the math.
There's ~43,000 zip code in the US with 6 in your town.
It's not a panacea for credit card abuse but it's not invasive & does offer a degree of safety for someone losing control of a credit/debit card.
Pulling up to self serve pump is a common way to check if a card is live. A zip code fail at the pump gets a card heightened scrutiny in it's next few subsequent transactions.

janderia

join:2001-02-16
Alexandria, VA

1 recommendation

reply to aefstoggaflm

Requiring the buyer to enter a zip code makes it slightly more secure before but I honestly wonder about that. If someone were to steal my wallet, they've got my zip code. If anyone keeps their driver's license in their wallet, then the thief has that information already. So, they've prevented anyone who mass-manufactures fraudulent cards from purchasing gas but those same criminals can take their fake cards into retail shops.

What credit card companies should really do is respect our privacy and implement a much more secure option of offering usage of a PIN in place of a zip code. PINs would kill two birds with one stone. That covers both pick-pockets and fraudulent cards. I find myself wondering why PINs weren't used. Unless... the credit card companies are allowing gas stations to keep our zip codes for marketing purposes. There is no privacy these days!

Snowy
Premium
Kailua, HI
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable
reply to beck

said by beck:

The retailer gets a better rate if they add the zipcode.

Yes, that's a great point, it explains why it's not a universal practice.
It's a retailers business decision, nothing forced by credit card issuers or processors.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA
reply to janderia

In some cases, with some cards, the retailer will ask for ID after the card is swiped.
--
Don't let the pluperfect be the enemy of the perfect.

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans

join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bright House
reply to hortnut

said by hortnut:

If someone gets my card and does not enter the correct zip code associated with the card, it is rejected.

It is a little added security, that is better than none.

Would be better if you guys just moved to chipping your cards like we did up here in Canada. Nothing quite like getting asked for a zipcode that doesn't exist, and then the machine in the store asking for it too. Then waiting 10mins on the phone for some idiot to figure it out and verbally authorize the transaction. Luckily that only happened once, though the 'ask for zip' at the machine happens a lot.

janderia

join:2001-02-16
Alexandria, VA
reply to rcdailey

said by rcdailey:

In some cases, with some cards, the retailer will ask for ID after the card is swiped.

That's only happened to me less than 5% of the time. It isn't common as far as I can tell.

said by Mashiki:

Would be better if you guys just moved to chipping your cards like we did up here in Canada.

Yes, I think we're a little behind here in the US.

KA0OUV
Premium
join:2010-02-17
Jefferson City, MO
reply to aefstoggaflm

Sonic Drive-in has started asking for that. For some odd reason, they get an amazing amount of business from 90210 and 00000. And all the transactions get approved.

Many stores are using the information strictly for demographic information.

Another thread on this topic:
»Re: Finally CA got it right, retailers can't ask for zip code

Snowy
Premium
Kailua, HI
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

From the link
said by drew:

ID is one thing - there's a ton of info on my driver's license. A zipcode is absolutely nothing.

Just the fact that there is something that drew See Profile & I can agree on automatically makes it's not just true but profoundly true.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to Mashiki

said by Mashiki:

Would be better if you guys just moved to chipping your cards like we did up here in Canada.

Great idea! That way somebody only has to walk next to you to get a signal from the chip to steal your information. Makes it much easier for them that having to actually get the card.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to Mashiki

said by Mashiki:

Would be better if you guys just moved to chipping your cards like we did up here in Canada. Nothing quite like getting asked for a zipcode that doesn't exist, and then the machine in the store asking for it too. Then waiting 10mins on the phone for some idiot to figure it out and verbally authorize the transaction. Luckily that only happened once, though the 'ask for zip' at the machine happens a lot.

I'm off to the states next month and using a credit card for gas and with my non-existent zip code so it will be hit and miss once again along the way.

The further south one goes the more the co-pilot has to go in and stand at the register to pre-authorize the payment to pump gas.

swannyva

join:2002-04-22
Herndon, VA

1 recommendation

reply to Msradell

Interesting thread! First, asking for zip or card codes, etc. are retailer specific, rarely if ever issuer motivated. The retailer feels it will eat less loss asking for a zip, especially gas stations, where stolen cards have been historically "tested" before heading for the electronics store for the big score.

Second, remember this every time you are required to provide secondary confirmation - that they are protecting themselves, not you. Your liability limit has been set by law.

Lastly, although the zip requirement may seem to contradict this (see my first comment), a PIN is not commonly required as it is considered "deadly" to an industry that only makes money if you use the card. The CC industry has thrived on the ease of use and the universal acceptance of their product.

Snowy
Premium
Kailua, HI
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

said by swannyva:

Interesting thread!

Absolutely! Let's use it to clear up some common misconceptions too.
said by swannyva:

First, asking for zip or card codes, etc. are retailer specific, rarely if ever issuer motivated.

True, it's a business decision made by the business (not limited to gas stations)
said by swannyva:

The retailer feels it will eat less loss asking for a zip, especially gas stations,

Not true. The business will be paid regardless of whether the transaction is fraudulent or not. The exceptions to this are far out of the scope of this discussion & don't come into play with the corner gas station.
said by swannyva:

...where stolen cards have been historically "tested" before heading for the electronics store for the big score.

True.
said by swannyva:

Second, remember this every time you are required to provide secondary confirmation - that they are protecting themselves, not you.

It's true their protecting themselves but it's in the form of lower operating costs, it lowers the % that retailers pay for their transactions not from loss due to fraudulent CC use.(see above)
said by swannyva:

Your liability limit has been set by law.

True. The hassle of having to deal with fraudulent use of one's credit card is another matter.
said by swannyva:

Lastly, although the zip requirement may seem to contradict this (see my first comment), a PIN is not commonly required as it is considered "deadly" to an industry that only makes money if you use the card. The CC industry has thrived on the ease of use and the universal acceptance of their product.

Absolutely true.

Whitecrow

@charter.com
reply to janderia

I am Canadian and travel regularly in the US . Whenever I try to use my credit card I am asked for a zip which I dont have . The US is behind the times . I have cards that have a microchip and a PIN number as does most of the world . The Tourism Bureau in Florida was whining about the drop in people coming from Germany , UK , and Canada . Think about this . Someone from Germany , or , other countries can pay for the hotel , buy groceries and souveniers , visit any site ,pay for a car they rented with a credit card , but , they cannot buy a gallon of gas with that credit card ..That is enough to turn a tourist off and go elsewhere . Florida itself admits to losing millions . Add that to other states and you can see that it really is a problem . I do carry some cash just to pay for gas but that still means I have to enter some stations twice . ( How much gas do you want . ? ) Whatever happened to the guy at the gas pump that used to fill it up and also do the windshield and would check the oil and tire pressure .. We ( US included ) are going backwards instead of using technology to our advantage .

ashrc4
Premium
join:2009-02-06
australia
reply to Msradell

said by Msradell:

said by Mashiki:

Great idea! That way somebody only has to walk next to you to get a signal from the chip to steal your information. Makes it much easier for them that having to actually get the card.

There is two types of tech used in CC's that are being confused here.
One encrypts card data (CHIPPED (Very well)), the other (RFID) allows for payment (+ Limited details) to be used by passing card near scanner.
--
Paradigm Shift beta test pilot. "Now is the not right time to stop folding."

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
reply to Whitecrow

said by Whitecrow :

I have to enter some stations twice . ( How much gas do you want . ? )

A gas station opened here and only accepted credit cards or pay before you pump which basically insinuates we are all thieves.

Well thousands of residents boycotted the place for two years and guess what...that's right they are back to letting you pump and pay later.

redxii
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-26
Sherwood, MI

I haven't been to a pump recently that wasn't pay first. Do Canadians have more class than US?
--
Moe, I need your advice… See I've got this friend named Joey Joe-Joe... Junior... Shabadoo..

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON

said by redxii:

I haven't been to a pump recently that wasn't pay first. Do Canadians have more class than US?

No, but your gas stations at least are more inclined to treat you like thieves. I can't remember the last time I paid first in Canada other then the station owner we ran out of town. Actually I never did pay there either I just drove on and didn't return. Also, and the irony of the situation is, as you know we pay way more for gas up here than you do.

Snowy
Premium
Kailua, HI
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Whitecrow

said by Whitecrow :

The US is behind the times . ...

This is pure speculation on my part but efforts at bulletproofing cards has little to do with protecting the consumer.
Currently a US consumer has a liability limit of $50 which no card issuer is enforcing because it's not in the best interest of the issuer.
Each 'toughening' measure implemented by issuers places more of the burden of protecting the card on the consumer.
At some point in the future the burden of security is going to shift from the issuer to the user.
At that point, being 'behind' is not a bad place to be.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Snowy

As you should know this is silly for Hawaii. There is ONE zip code for my town. If my card got lost or stolen here I don't see how requiring my zipcode at the pump would help me. I have never bought gas in any other zip code than my own (way too expensive in Waimea and Kona). This is the first I have heard of this practice. Seems to me the real reason is to gather more salable information about you. I hate it when retail stores ask for my zip.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Whitecrow

said by Whitecrow :

Whatever happened to the guy at the gas pump that used to fill it up and also do the windshield and would check the oil and tire pressure .. We ( US included ) are going backwards instead of using technology to our advantage .

We still have a station like that in my town. It has the LOWEST prices in town but puts the gas in for you (thank goodness as my new Honda is a real pain to get the cap back on correctly) and they check tire pressure for free (although my new car does that itself and tells me), etc. This station is also where physically disabled folks get their gas. The station has been around forever and looks like a dump but you get great service and the lowest price!
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Snowy
Premium
Kailua, HI
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

As you should know this is silly for Hawaii. There is ONE zip code for my town. If my card got lost or stolen here I don't see how requiring my zipcode at the pump would help me.

It would keep your card very safe IMO.
Think about it, how many people that live in Hilo know their zip code?

Owe Canada

@151.190.0.x
reply to peterboro

said by peterboro:

I'm off to the states next month and using a credit card for gas and with my non-existent zip code so it will be hit and miss once again along the way.

Hey, I've had my card refused at gas pumps in Canada, except it was telling me that in French, so I had no idea what the problem was. I had to go to three gas stations until I found a pump that told me in English that I had to go inside.

Buy gas in NJ. They won't ask you for your zip code. And not only won't you have to go inside, you don't even get out of your car!

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to aefstoggaflm

To move this in a little direction. It has been noted that I as the customer am protected if someone fraudulently uses my Credit Card.

But have you ever dealt with a CSR in another State to get that fixed?

Had a situation where we think a card was cloned, then swiped to see if it was good and then had 4 subsequent large withdrawals made. Total just shy of $10,000. This was pre-computer, so could not check balances, until the statement arrived in the mail.

It was Hell trying to work with the CSR's and the Card Issuers, rules or not. Fortunately the Bank had just merged with my Bank locally and I knew one of the old Officers at the Headquarters that has stayed on. A quick visit to him and all was fixed. If not I would probably still be trying to get my money back.

I do realize that this type of system works against me if I go out of Country or if someone from another country comes to the US. I have not checked into how they handle that. But the station that I seeing doing that is Shell, which is a large conglomerate. From what I understand this is being done on the Shell Corp. level. Not the little gasoline alley station owner.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
reply to Owe Canada

said by Owe Canada :

Hey, I've had my card refused at gas pumps in Canada, except it was telling me that in French, so I had no idea what the problem was.

You must have been in Quebec with their language police brown shirts. You are lucky you weren't pulled over for speeding and thrown in jail for refusing to speak in the native language of New France. Next time steer clear of the province like I do and you'll be fine.