beck
MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road

beck to aefstoggaflm

MVM

to aefstoggaflm

Re: Zip Code at pump for gas

I travel all winter. I use cc not debit for gas. Depends on the retailer if they want a zipcode. It's very rare when I have to go inside. And if it requires me to, I just go to the next station.

The retailer gets a better rate if they add the zipcode.

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy

Premium Member

said by beck:

Yes, that's a great point, it explains why it's not a universal practice.
It's a retailers business decision, nothing forced by credit card issuers or processors.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK to beck

Premium Member

to beck
Not true. The retailers will be penalized by credit card companies if their station has chargebacks from stolen cards and will have to impose the zip code "feature" or that station could face much higher fees. It's not an incentive, it's a penalty.
KrK

KrK to Snowy

Premium Member

to Snowy
said by Snowy:

said by beck:

It's a retailers business decision, nothing forced by credit card issuers or processors.

Nope. It's often not the retailers decision, and is forced on them in the form of do this or else. It's based on credit card fraud at the location. This is why you can see the same chain where SOME stations require it and some don't. It costs business, so it's not liked among merchants, but also, killer penalty rates or not accepting cards period is not an option, so there you go.

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy

Premium Member

said by KrK:

said by Snowy:

said by beck:

Nope. It's often not the retailers decision,...

It's a retailers prerogative to implement or not implement 100% of the time.
Motivations will vary but at the end of the day it comes down to a business decision made by the retailer.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK

Premium Member

It's very much a store by store basis. You will see corporate owned stores, only a few will have it, most won't. The reason why is it costs business and annoys customers, but that particular location is facing penalty rates, so they really have little choice if they want to remain competitive. They aren't happy about it, trust me.