K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

1 edit

Hayward0 to graysonf

Premium Member

to graysonf

Re: [Modem] out of the blue PPPOE problem!

said by graysonf:

Read thru all the recent posts in this forum. Others are having similar problems and it has been suggested that AT&T changed something in the PPPoE that is breaking some routers.

Its not just "something" they changed the net password. For newer modem this can be done transparently remotely.... older ones like the Westell 6100's all come to a halt. And any modem that is bridged can't be done remotely either.

The password is no longer your old BS.net password.

Only solution call them up, and get it... though they seem to provide an automated way to do it, doesn't work.

I guess they have are doing this on a rolling basis, as there was a lot of this about a month ago... when happened to me and many others in very So FL... guess its in a new region now.

I just noticed OP's location... news to me California is in the SE.... but guess they are doing this nation wide region by region, and haven't yet learned to give customers advanced notice..

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Hayward0:

I just noticed OP's location... news to me California is in the SE.... but guess they are doing this nation wide region by region, and haven't yet learned to give customers advanced notice..

Actually the advance notice about the PPPoE/Network password change went out well over a year ago (along with instructions on how to change it yourself), but it was in an advertising email sent to the primary at&t/BellSouth email address for the account, and most people just ignore such emails (if their spam filter doesn't delete it automatically).

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0

Premium Member

said by NetFixer:

Actually the advance notice about the PPPoE/Network password change went out well over a year ago (along with instructions on how to change it yourself), but it was in an advertising email sent to the primary at&t/BellSouth email address for the account, and most people just ignore such emails (if their spam filter doesn't delete it automatically).

said by NetFixer:

Clearly that has not the been case for many, who maybe like me just choose to use my own mail (or .web mail), and rarely check the functionally bad news BS mail... though I did not long ago at the PW change time here a few months ago. NO PW change notice email, but there was other at or over a year old.

This is DSL on my phone line....They KNOW the number...maybe leave an automated voice mail???? But NNNNOOOOOO.

I mean like the mailbot shouldn't know this is a totally inactive account but for rare incoming mail. Never even used enough to generate a SINGLE piece of spam

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Hayward0:

Clearly that is not the case for many, who maybe like me just choose to use my own mail (or .web mail), and rarely check the functionally bad news BS mail... though I did not long ago at the PW change time here a few months ago. NO PW change notice email, but there was other at or over a year old.

I have run my own email servers for my own domains for many years, but I also still check my ISP's email just to keep abreast of account and service notifications. But that is just me...I don't like surprises.

FWIW, most of the advertising style notices that I received from AT&T/BellSouth were actually flagged as spam by the AT&T/Yahoo! spam filters (probably because they contracted with a popular spam sender to send them). The default action for spam (as I recall) was to delete it after 30 days. An email that went into the AT&T/Yahoo! spam box over a year ago would have long ago been deleted.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

cramer to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
What is this "notice" you speak of? Some of us don't check our @bellsouth.net email because it's been broken for years. (And I just don't give a ****.)

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by cramer:

What is this "notice" you speak of? Some of us don't check our @bellsouth.net email because it's been broken for years. (And I just don't give a ****.)

The notice was an email informing customers of the change in password policy that required a separate (different) primary email account password and and network (PPPoE) password. I checked my primary AT&T/BellSouth email accounts regularly when I has a DSL customer, primarily so that such changes did not take me (and any clients who were also AT&T customers) by surprise.

Sorry that your AT&T/BellSouth email is broken. Mine still works (both primary accounts and multiple secondary accounts) even though I am no longer an AT&T DSL customer (and I still use them for purposes where I don't wish to use one of my "real" email addresses). Perhaps they still work because I migrated my AT&T/BellSouth email accounts to the Yahoo! platform manually shortly after I received the notification that if I did not do it manually, AT&T would do it automatically (and we all know how well AT&T's automatic change processes work).
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer

Premium Member

Oh. That. My network and email passwords have never been the same. Funny, back in the day, bell support minions thought I was crazy. It's been broken since they started farming around how to "do email" -- now they're just Yahoo! accounts (read: they cannot be bothered to run an email server. at least Yahoo! runs servers that usually work.)