darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
reply to Gizy

Re: hibernating?

Well, it's been snowing off and on for two days now and the bigger storm is still due to arrive tomorrow night so... seems like we ought to be hibernating...

Smokey
I'd rather be skiing
Premium
join:2003-05-20
Wild West
reply to Gizy
She started it... She purred!
--
Para Bellum!!

Smokey
I'd rather be skiing
Premium
Wild West
reply to darcilicious
We got an inch where I work last night, about half an inch at home. While it was all gone at home this afternoon, looks like no change at work. Roads are still covered and still plenty on the ground to track suspects.
--
Para Bellum!!

Gizy
Have you thanked a soldier today?
Premium
join:2002-08-26
PNW
kudos:1
reply to darcilicious
I had the wonderful job of being a passenger to Eugene today (the boss drove). We were fine until a bit north of Albany, where it was more snow and ice on the roads than just wet. There must have been 10 spin outs, including one 18-wheeler. He was still there when we went by on the way home about 4 hours later.

I haven't had more than a dusting where I am, but I dread the ice in the morning since I get to drive to Vancouver, WA.....we're supposed to do a work dinner in downtown Portland tomorrow, but if this keeps up, we'll pass...none of us want to get caught in this mess.

Hibernation sounds perfect.
--
Home of the free, because of the brave.
Any Soldier
Dog Tags for Kids
My Pictures

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17
reply to Smokey
Good thing I don't leave tracks.

So have you taken residence in our neck of the woods?

Smokey
I'd rather be skiing
Premium
Wild West
reply to Gizy
Do they not plow the highways up there? I got called asking to go about 30 miles in to OR last night, but as I don't have my 4x4, I couldn't go. I know NDOT didn't start plowing down here till around midnight, which didn't help me a bit.
--
Para Bellum!!

Smokey
I'd rather be skiing
Premium
Wild West
reply to sashwa
Not many trees out here, but I'm in the vicinity.
--
Para Bellum!!

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to Smokey
said by Smokey:

Do they not plow the highways up there?

Very few, not worth the cost/overhead for the amount of snow we get. It's very odd to have days of snow like this, where we get a lot of black ice in the main roads because stuff melts during the day and then re-freezes over night.

I'm telecommuting tomorrow (planned) and will probably ask to do the same on Wednesday -- my commute is 55 miles / 1 hour 15 mins each way and no, I don't want to do that in this stuff

Smokey
I'd rather be skiing
Premium
Wild West
I dont blame ya... I have 80 miles each way and I don't want to do it either!
--
Para Bellum!!

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
It may not end up being this bad but wow, it could get bad indeed:

»www.weather.com/outlook/weather-···12-01-16

William
Premium
join:2010-04-18
Washougal, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Canvas Dreams

1 edit
reply to aurgathor
Looking down the road. Temp hovering 32/33.

Yesterday

Today (doesn't look like a lot, but we have close to a foot)

Good day to hibernate.

Edit: post going wrong. Tried linking from my site, but they downloaded here, stupid.

Smokey
I'd rather be skiing
Premium
Wild West
reply to darcilicious
It looks sightly delayed, and thats good for me... I cant leave for Vegas until midnight and I dont want to be on those back roads in the middle of a storm at night. Even a bear knows better than that!
--
Para Bellum!!

mjhouser
Premium
join:2001-10-06
reply to aurgathor

PDX Map
Lots of color on our forecast map.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

It may not end up being this bad but wow, it could get bad indeed:

More often than not, forecasts are worse than the actual weather. Having said that we've been having real winter for almost 5 days in a row, with some snow every day! As long as we don't lose electricity -- bring it on!!

I just cleaned my carport's roof this afternoon, so it can take another 4 - 5 inches. I have seen several fallen trees/broken branches probably because of the weight of the snow.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
reply to aurgathor

Gizy
Premium
PNW
reply to aurgathor
I hope everyone is staying safe with the storms, especially in Washington and the Oregon Coast. This could be a fun winter.

These were the tweets I found especially helpful this morning

I read this one at 5:15am, right as I turned on the TV. Hwy 43 is how I get to work, which meant I was taking I-5, along with half of Portland.

quote:
ORE43, from Portland to Portland, Closed, Down trees in power lines have all lanes closed on hwy 43 from the Sell... »t.co/bDajLGcR
quote:
Winter storm warning just cancelled; now comes the flood advisory. #pdxtst #pdxtraffic
»twitter.com/#!/pdxcommute/status···54146560

Gotta love the weather in the PNW
--
Home of the free, because of the brave.
Any Soldier
Dog Tags for Kids
My Pictures

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
We only got a slight dusting in the last 24 hours or so, but reading the news, it was Thurston and Pierce county that got the brunt of the storm.

Looking at »www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46043032/ns/us_news/ I just realized that Seattle didn't have much snow left yesterday until the latest snow fall while here, only about 30 miles north, it's a winter wonderland for almost a week.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
and now comes the freezing rain, falling trees, landslides, flooding and other effects of a big wet thaw.

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium
join:2005-01-16
WA, USA

1 recommendation

reply to aurgathor
Yeah, just a bit wintery out.

I'm fine with it, I love the snow and not hibernating. But, my new kitty "Tiki" feels otherwise...

Likes watching the snow from my window, but has no compulsion to experience it firsthand. =)

She's a purdy kittah.

Irony is, I took her home as a stray just days before winter actually hit. (whew)

--

My 9/11 Tribute..online since 9/14/01
Need an Avatar? Check out Wafen's Avatar Pages

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to tshirt
said by tshirt:

and now comes the freezing rain, falling trees, landslides, flooding and other effects of a big wet thaw.

Thawing? Where?!?

The white stuff is still coming down as I write this, though it's tapering off.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
reply to aurgathor

Delivery by drew_dslr, on Flickr

Robin by drew_dslr, on Flickr

Still snowing here...
--
flickr | Of faith, power and glory

Tempus45
Premium
join:2006-07-08
USA

1 recommendation

reply to aurgathor
Click for full size
Click for full size
My baby cat Isis is ready for the weather.

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium
join:2005-01-16
WA, USA
reply to aurgathor
I'd say there is around 4-6 inches on the streets, but lots more is coming it seems:

quote:
Winter storm warning in effect until 10 pm pst this evening.

Tonight: snow. Additional snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches. Lows 15 to 21. North wind 5 to 10 mph in the evening, becoming light. Chance of precipitation 80 percent.

Friday: cloudy. A chance of rain or snow in the morning, then rain or snow likely in the afternoon. Snow accumulation up to 1 inch. Highs in the lower to mid 30s. Light wind, becoming southeast 5 to 10 mph with gusts to around 20 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation 60 percent.

Friday Night: rain or snow in the evening, then rain overnight. Little or no snow accumulation. Lows in the lower to mid 30s. Breezy. Southeast wind 10 to 20 mph with gusts to around 30 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.

Saturday: rain or snow likely. Highs in the upper 30s. Windy. Southwest wind 15 to 25 mph with gusts to around 40 mph. Chance of precipitation 60 percent.

Saturday Night: cloudy with a 20 percent chance of snow showers. Lows in the mid to upper 20s. Windy. Southwest wind 15 to 25 mph with gusts to around 45 mph.

Sunday: cloudy with a 30 percent chance of snow. Highs in the lower to mid 30s.

Sunday Night: snow likely. Moderate snow accumulations possible. Lows in the mid to upper 20s. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.

Monday: snow showers likely. Moderate snow accumulations possible. Highs in the lower 30s. Chance of precipitation 60 percent.

Monday Night: cloudy with a 30 percent chance of snow showers. Lows in the lower to mid 20s.

Tuesday: snow showers likely. Highs in the lower to mid 30s. Chance of precipitation 60 percent.

Tuesday Night: rain or snow likely. Lows around 30. Chance of precipitation 60 percent.

Wednesday: rain likely. Highs in the upper 30s to lower 40s. Chance of precipitation 60 percent.

Wednesday Night: rain or snow likely. Lows in the lower 30s. Chance of precipitation 60 percent.

Thursday: breezy. Rain or snow showers likely. Highs in the mid to upper 30s. Chance of precipitation 60 percent.
Hmmm, does 2008 seem familiar?
--

My 9/11 Tribute..online since 9/14/01
Need an Avatar? Check out Wafen's Avatar Pages
Expand your moderator at work

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
reply to caffeinator

Re: hibernating?

We almost had a foot as of late yesterday, but what a difference a day can make -- it's melting fast now.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Skipdawg
The Original
Premium,ExMod 2001-03
join:2001-04-19
Mount Vernon, WA
reply to aurgathor
I woke up for a minute to get a snack. May get up again the 29th.

Brazbit
Premium
join:2003-10-22
Port Orchard, WA
reply to aurgathor
Woke up, saw shadow, retreated back into my cave.
Will try again on the 29th when the Sounders play a free game at Century Link Field.
--
That why they make smart word box for tell monkey hard brain hurty things.

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
Click for full size
I have a feeling you may not like what you see/feel...
OK, we will have one clear day.

William
Premium
join:2010-04-18
Washougal, WA
reply to aurgathor
Not hibernating as much, have DSL now, oh wait, never mind.

Gizy
Premium
PNW
reply to aurgathor
What the heck??? It is the end of February right?