spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

takebackweb

@idxf.com

[request] Godaddy certificates

With the recent findings that Godaddy supports SOPA (»www.readwriteweb.com/archives/go···s_an.php) and this having been reported on this site, would it make sense to change the signed SSL certificates (now godaddy) to something else? Maybe this has no correlation at all, but I had to ask.

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6

Re: Godaddy certificates

Many folks are moving all their business away from GoDaddy due to their agreement with SOPA.

»arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news···port.ars

If you don't want to financially support a business that goes against your political beliefs, it makes sense to transfer the domains. An important note is that if SOPA becomes law, any US-based domain registrar will be compelled by court order to comply, so even Namecheap and other eNom resellers will be impacted equally to GoDaddy.
--
flickr | Of faith, power and glory

nil
Java Geek
join:2000-11-27
kudos:2
reply to takebackweb
They claim to have reversed their position:

»www.godaddy.com/newscenter/relea···m_id=378

Considering they helped write SOPA and are exempt from it (as written) themselves, I'm not buying the sincerity. »idealab.talkingpointsmemo.com/20···-end.php
--
Life is too short to be boring

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
They can shove it. I'll never recommend them again (not that I have in years...)

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to takebackweb
GoDaddy is a slimebag. For many years, I have had GoDaddy certs as untrusted in all my browsers, although I sometimes allow them, but at least in those instances I know what sites use them and, if I really like the site, I complain to the webmaster.

DSLR is better than this. Ditch GoDaddy.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson