Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

TomS_ to voxframe

MVM

to voxframe

Re: Juniper linecard(s)

Ive *heard* (but TBH Im not actually certain) that the 4x10GE PICs run just into the 6 figure range. That could also be list price...

A fully kitted router is going to cost comfortably in the $millions. But when you have to buy a router that big, the cost is really secondary.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

said by TomS_:

Ive *heard* (but TBH Im not actually certain) that the 4x10GE PICs run just into the 6 figure range. That could also be list price...

what are you doing with kit that big, tom? are you handling core functions (just gathered from the 4x10gbe pic) or is this your edge handoff platform (in which case -- you've got big pipes coming in/out of your a/s)?
didn't realize you guys handled that much juniper -- unless these purchases were made before the crs3 was readily available at $reasonable_cost.

q.

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
London, UK

TomS_

MVM

This is for core.

Ive since moved on from my previous employer in Aus, this kit belongs to my new employer (in case you thought it belonged to my Aus employer who was a 100% Cisco shop.)

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

said by TomS_:

This is for core.

Ive since moved on from my previous employer in Aus, this kit belongs to my new employer (in case you thought it belonged to my Aus employer who was a 100% Cisco shop.)

saw the new locale under your name. i vaguely recall you saying your previous employer was 100% cisco. what stuck out more to me was the fact that you were doing sdh over microwave (stm-4, if memory serves) and that 10gbe would be (a) a huge conversion and (b) waaaaaay future-proof for what you were doing.

i'm a geek -- i remember the specifics

q.

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
London, UK

TomS_

MVM

Close.

STM-1s actually, but the radios could do enough to handle 2xSTM-4.

Even for us back then GigE was massive, and we only really used that in the very core of our network where everything got aggregated in. 10GE would have been stupid.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

sk1939 to TomS_

Premium Member

to TomS_
It's mid six figures. A PIC with 8 GbE ports still costs in the range of $120,000 USD, a 4 port STM-4 PIC is about $160,000, and a single port 100 GbE module is in the neighborhood of $300,000.