GTFan
join:2004-12-03
Austell, GA

GTFan to mariod

to mariod

Re: Trying to get an HDMI DVR...insanity realized

said by mariod:

said by IowaCowboy:

An even better solution would be to just go to Best Buy and get a TiVo box (I have two of them with lifetime subs on them) and all you'll need from Comcast is a CableCard. I have had MANY issues with the Comcast DVRs and ZERO issues with the TiVos. Plus the TiVos have a larger Hard Drive and you can pay more to get a larger HD or use an external HD. I know Comcast here charges $18 per month for a DVR and I have two TVs so that is two DVRs. As for Comcast and their junk DVRs, my setup is $36 of lost revenue for Comcast minus the $6 for the second CableCard. Plus I own my EMTA which is another $7 in lost revenue for Comcast.

When I got rid of DirecTV and had Comcast installed, the installer (a contractor) brought an old piece of Junk DVR and I requested two, he brought one and it was broken. I had to swap it at the office and they gave me a DCX 3400. Later that summer, I had an unexpected windfall and I went to Best Buy and bought two TiVo DVRs and purchased lifetime subs on them. It was a win-win for me as I got a better DVR while lowering my Comcast bill by a good chunk. So I can use the money that I would spend on equipment rentals and spend it on service upgrades instead (such as the Extreme 50 internet upgrade, which adds $40 per month to the bill, and it is worth it because YouTube works better among other benefits).

Wow, that sounds amazing!

From everything you're saying "windfall", "money I would spend on equipment rentals", I guess you got your tivo dvrs for free!

Too bad the rest of us would have to pay hundreds of dollars and then pay monthly fees to Tivo.

Edit: Oh, I forgot, how's the On Demand lineup look on your Tivo? You know, that service you are paying for with tons of programming on it?

It is amazing, seeing as if you can get used Tivo HDs w/lifetime subs on fleabay or craigslist for $350 or less, and which will generally pay for themselves in less than 2 years vs. renting. And it's so much better than the Moto crap DVR that Comcast uses here it's not even funny.

On Demand? Who cares? I record what I want to watch, not what Comcast thinks I might like. Most of On Demand is junk anyway (I had a Comcast STB long ago and nothing there was stuff I cared about or couldn't have recorded myself), and with xfinityTV website I could catch pretty much any show I missed anyway.

Oh and BTW, the Tivo Premieres will be getting On Demand soon, and if you have an Xbox360 you also get it with a Comcast sub.

I'll repeat what I said in another thread - you diss Tivos because you've never used them and don't know any better. That's ok, but don't dismiss them just because you don't want to do the research on the box and the purchase options. There's no reason to pay $550-600 for a new one when they are widely available for at least $200 less on the secondhand market, and they will run rings around any Comcast DVR.
mariod
join:2009-06-16

1 edit

mariod

Even if your completely baseless assertion is true, it's a truly horrendous expenditure. Its three year old technology, basically the same stuff OP is complaining about Comcast giving him.

And your liability buying a Tivo on craigslist apparently doesn't need to be calculated? Nor the crazy $700 upfront investment?

Everytime my DVR stops working, Comcast swaps it out for free. Good luck with your $700 in used equipment from a random stranger.

And Tivo HD is not Tivo Premiere, so I assume it won't have on Demand (hence this is a total red herring in your argument).

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

1 edit

Caddyroger

Premium Member

said by mariod:

Even if your completely baseless assertion is true, it's a truly horrendous expenditure.
Its three year old technology, basically the same stuff OP is complaining about Comcast giving him.

And your liability buying a Tivo on craigslist apparently doesn't need to be calculated? Nor the crazy $700 upfront investment?

Everytime my DVR stops working, Comcast swaps it out for free. Good luck with your $700 in used equipment from a random stranger.

And Tivo HD is not Tivo Premiere, so I assume it won't have on Demand (hence this is a total red herring in your argument).

That 3 year old tivo has HDMI that op is wanting, it has Pandora, netflix and hulu plus. There are only 3 thing that goes wrong with a Tivo hard drive, power supply or fan. If half knowing yourself aroung you can fix it your self. With the premiere you can have up to 4tb of storage space I believe. I can download unprotected shows from the tv and store it on my computer.
I have a s3, premiere and a premiere elite with no problems with any of them. Comcast would have to pay to use junk slow ass dvrs. I would get pissed off at the comcast dvr and throw the remote at it and hit the tv destroying it
mariod

1 edit

mariod

said by Caddyroger:

That 3 year old tivo has HDMI that op is wanting, it has Pandora, netflix and hulu plus. There are only 3 thing that goes wrong with a Tivo hard drive, power supply or fan. If half knowing yourself aroung you can fix it your self. With the premiere you can have up to 4tb of storage space I believe. I can download unprotected shows from the tv and store it on my computer.
I have a s3, premiere and a premiere elite with no problems with any of them. Comcast would have to pay to use junk slow ass dvrs. I would get pissed off at the comcast dvr and throw the remote at it and hit the tv destroying it

So it has a bunch of stuff you have to pay even more for. Sounds great!!!

And all it will cost you is like $1000 up front. Why not just invest in some swampland while you're at it.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

1 edit

Caddyroger

Premium Member

said by mariod:

said by Caddyroger:

So it has a bunch of stuff you have to pay even more for. Sounds great!!!

And all it will cost you is like $1000 up front. Why not just invest in some swampland while you're at it.

Where are you getting $1000. at. I have not paid paid over $650 with lifetime for the highest one up front. That 33 months at comcast dvr prices but with comcast I am still paying $19.00 for their junk dvrs after 33 months. If you have Netflix then it is free with the premieres.
Most likely the the swampland is hell a lot better the comcast drvs.

WoofieInPC
Premium Member
join:2009-04-04
Panama City, FL

WoofieInPC

Premium Member

said by Caddyroger:

If you have Netflix then it is free with the premieres.

Not free with my premier maybe a trial when I first got it, but I'm definitely paying now.
GTFan
join:2004-12-03
Austell, GA

GTFan to Caddyroger

to Caddyroger
I give up, he's convinced that I'm a Tivo employee just because I use and enjoy them. There's really no way to convince people that haven't used them how much better the DVR experience is, and some folks want Comcast to take care of everything for them no matter what it costs or how inferior the experience is.

So I'll just let it go, and Merry Christmas.
mariod

mariod to Caddyroger

to Caddyroger
said by Caddyroger:

Where are you getting $1000. at. I have not paid paid over $650 with lifetime for the highest one up front. That 33 months at comcast dvr prices but with comcast I am still paying $19.00 for their junk dvrs after 33 months. If you have Netflix then it is free with the premieres.
Most likely the the swampland is hell a lot better the comcast drvs.

»www.tivo.com/products/ti ··· dex.html

Tivo Premiere = $99 and a hard drive that holds 45 hours of HD
And according to the uncopiable link on that page, lifetime service is $499.00.

That's a $600 investment, per DVR, plus adding an external Hard Drive, plus paying for a cable card when applicable.

So I rounded down to $1000.00
Expand your moderator at work

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

2 edits

Caddyroger

Premium Member

Re: Trying to get an HDMI DVR...insanity realized

Yep a huge expense. Tivo 45 hr is more then Comcast dvrs. That no cost for a tivo. Cable cards is $.0 for the first one $1.50 to $2.00. for the 2nd on upt.
1 comcast dvr at $19.00 a month is $2280 in 10 years
2 Tivo dvr with lifetime is $1000. at your price of $1000. in years enough to buy 2 tivo plus save $280. If have a tivo and buy another The lifetime is $100 cheaper so that $380 saved.
Can you get netflix on a comcast dvr?
Caddyroger

Caddyroger to WoofieInPC

Premium Member

to WoofieInPC
If you pay for Netflix streaming subscription you can add it to your tivo at no extra cost of the tivo. If you do not have a netflix account then you would have to pay for the subscription.
Caddyroger

Caddyroger to GTFan

Premium Member

to GTFan
said by GTFan:

I give up, he's convinced that I'm a Tivo employee just because I use and enjoy them. There's really no way to convince people that haven't used them how much better the DVR experience is, and some folks want Comcast to take care of everything for them no matter what it costs or how inferior the experience is.

So I'll just let it go, and Merry Christmas.

Yes I know if you are against what they are saying they think you work for Comcast or a fanboy or some other bs.

WoofieInPC
Premium Member
join:2009-04-04
Panama City, FL

WoofieInPC to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
said by Caddyroger:

If you pay for Netflix streaming subscription you can add it to your tivo at no extra cost of the tivo. If you do not have a netflix account then you would have to pay for the subscription.

I get it on my TV for "free" too then.
mariod

1 edit

mariod to Caddyroger

to Caddyroger
said by Caddyroger:

Yep a huge expense. Tivo 45 hr is more then Comcast dvrs.

False. My DVR is a DCX3400-M and has a 500gb hard drive. Thats roughly 100 hours of HD it can hold since HD is roughly 5gb per hour.
said by Caddyroger:

That no cost for a tivo. Cable cards is $.0 for the first one $1.50 to $2.00. for the 2nd on upt.

False, the cost is free for the first one if you have no STBs from comcast. It's only $1.50 for the second card if it goes IN THE SAME DEVICE.

A second device requiring a cable card incurs a cost of $6.50 per month. So, I went ahead and fixed the math for you below:
said by Caddyroger:

1 comcast dvr at $19.00 a month is $2280 in 10 years
2 Tivo dvr with lifetime is $1650 (incorrect math was $1000).

And of course this is based on the utter delusion that your tivo is going to be both technologically current and functioning with no repair cost for the next DECADE. Whereas a comcast DVR will be replaced with current tech anytime they upgrade the inventory, or anytime it breaks, at no cost to you.

Even more importantly, you fail to calculate the lost value of upfront investing $1000. At .25% interest, that's hundreds of dollars more value you save by making monthly payments instead of the gigantic upfront investment.
said by WoofieInPC:

said by Caddyroger:

I get it on my TV for "free" too then.

And my Blue Ray player. And my Xbox. And my laptop. So I really don't see how that's worth forking over $1000 today.

And he still don't get anything on demand.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

I am not going to sit here and keep repeating my self. You can change any thing you to suit your allusion on my post. So far you been wrong on pricing, HDD size, costs.
mariod

1 edit

mariod

said by Caddyroger:

So far you been wrong on pricing, HDD size, costs.

Prove it.

Tivos cost $600 for a lifetime subscription.
Comcast Multi-Room DVRs are twice the size of a regular tivo HD.
And cablecards cost $7 a month for two of them if you don't have another STB.

I've linked to the proof of each of those facts.