how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

binkleym

join:2010-05-15
Ashland City, TN

Would love to try it!

My parents live in a valley where they can't get DSL, cable, 3g/4g. All the other wireless technologies are pure line-of-site. I'd love to see what kind of bridge I can set up between them and me over 145-225 MHz. That has the potential to be some chocolate-covered awesome. Any idea what they'll cost?

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

I would love to give this a try also. I would be able to get a TWC connection less then a mile away from me and bridge it over to me. I see people complaining about it being slow but 3mbps could do wonders to rural communities.

bcltoys

join:2008-07-21
Lost today

If I could get 3mb all the time 24/7 i'm in cause on 3g i'm lucky if I get 100 kbps on average.

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
reply to Duramax08

If it's line-of-site, why wait? There are existing point-to-point wireless bridges. They aren't terribly expensive (~$1,000) and they'll easily bridge several miles at 100Mbps full duplex. A quick Google revealed this possibility: »www.gridconnect.com

I'll bet more searching would find something even cheaper.

If you are technically inclined, you could also get by on the cheap by using high power 802.11 devices coupled with high-gain, directional antennas. Check out this site for high power equipment: »www.engeniustech.com

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Line of site is whats kicking my ass right now due to the terrain. I think this new device that just got approved doesnt need LOS. Thanks for the links, ill look into them.

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

Check out their 900mhz bridge. It might do the trick. It doesn't need LOS. The lower frequency will penetrate obstacles. It still won't go through a bluff/mountain but it might bounce around a few hills.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to bcltoys

said by bcltoys:

If I could get 3mb all the time 24/7 i'm in cause on 3g i'm lucky if I get 100 kbps on average.

sounds like you're on cricket broadband.
--
Oh YES! let me drop everything i'm doing regardless of who it affects to deal with your petty little problem!

bcltoys

join:2008-07-21
Lost today

Nope Verizon/Millenicom.