All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
IM10s
join:2004-07-04
Holland, MI

IM10s to IanR

to IanR

Re: [Need Info] Any IPTV Providers that can replace Cable?

so is Roku is good option? I still have a SD TV and only need the basics - is there a lower cost option like a cheap Bluray wireless player?
IM10s

IM10s

So I bought a Sony Streaming Video player and it FAILED with my 1.5M DSL. Is that too much to expect? It would not even connect to the Hulu and Crackel server at times. Does this have to connect through the Sony server is that why it is so much slower? I don't think it is my ISP if I can view Hulu just fine through my PC connection, right? I took it back and am still researching options - any constructive help or comments are appreciated.
Cyberdave5
Premium Member
join:2012-03-19
Salt Lake City, UT

Cyberdave5 to IM10s

Premium Member

to IM10s
said by IM10s:

so is Roku is good option? I still have a SD TV and only need the basics - is there a lower cost option like a cheap Bluray wireless player?

I am in this same situation now and have researched a lot and bought two Roku LT players since I (still) have two SDtv's. I have installed and used one of the Roku players and it works great on a wireless connection upstairs to my router downstairs (wireless N) and now with a basic 3mbps cable connection (which speedtests at 1.5 to 2mbps). I have not tried any pay channels like Netflix but the free stuff works well.

You can get a Blu-ray player (and costs more than the Roku LT) which has access to some pay internet channels but I have not found one which is dedicated to IPTV the way Roku is and which has access to a lot of content. IPTV is not a mature technology or industry yet so the best option in the end is to hookup a laptop or PC to your TV.