StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to siddarth

Re: [Embarq] post your centurylink speedtest results!

said by siddarth:

So those of us that are only getting 10 to 20% of what was advertised are screwed?

It' called Marketing or as I call it "creative lying".

As I explained your line speed is what they claim (what your modem
syncs at). It has nothing to do with "distance from the source".

PS: I'm not trying to excuse CenturyLink for abnormally slow speeds as many in this thread are experiencing. If you're getting less than about 12.5% of your rating there's a problem. That said you can't judge that from one speed test site.

PPS: I used to have the 7Mbps package and could not get more than 1.5Mbps for many months. Presumably CenturyLink fixed the issue in my area.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

siddarth

join:2011-12-23
Smithfield, NC

said by StuartMW:

said by siddarth:

So those of us that are only getting 10 to 20% of what was advertised are screwed?

It' called Marketing or as I call it "creative lying".

As I explained your line speed is what they claim (what your modem
syncs at). It has nothing to do with "distance from the source".

PS: I'm not trying to excuse CenturyLink for abnormally slow speeds as many in this thread are experiencing. If you're getting less than about 12.5% of your rating there's a problem. That said you can't judge that from one speed test site.

PPS: I used to have the 7Mbps package and could not get more than 1.5Mbps for many months. Presumably CenturyLink fixed the issue in my area.

We signed up for their 10mbps package. Of course it says up to 10 but tests are showing anywhere from 0.74 to 1.4 mbps. I'll probably give them a call Tuesday and discuss the issue.