uniqs
share rss forum feed

SysOp

join:2001-04-18
Douglasville, GA
Reviews:
·MetroPCS

[4G] My money is on HSPA+

I really don't see the rush to jump ship from UMTS to LTE.

Sure, LTE sound great on paper, but I don't want to pay for it. I really am not sold on "FASTER" this or "MORE" of that. Why the hell do I need 10Mbps+ down-link on my phone?

What I did want was faster up-link and I got that with HSPA+. I also care about the back-haul. And from what I understand, the carriers do too since the back-haul makes or breaks the customer experience regardless if it's 3G or 4G.

For now, I'm happy with HSPA+, so if it saves me money, LTE can wait. If I can roam from T-Mobile's HSPA+ network to ATT's, even better for the long term.

Verizon has LTE now. However, I am NOT paying what Verizon is asking. For what I use it for, HSPA+ can do every thing LTE can do, and for far less money.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
You don't pay anything extra for LTE on Verizon or AT&T.

LTE is the future, not only because of it's superior handling and management on the cell tower but because of voice of lte.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

IIIBradIII
Comm M-E-L Instr

join:2000-09-28
Greer, SC
Verizons voice traffic doesn't run over their lte signal.

SysOp

Douglasville, GA
Reviews:
·MetroPCS

4 edits
reply to Alcohol
Have you looked at their price gouging? Should be obvious that you are paying for that shiny new LTE network when looking at their pricing structure.

HSPA+ is working just fine and cost me less. I am not going to pay what they are asking just to use LTE vs HSPA+. I just don't care which it is or what they call it or how it does it.

As a consumer, I don't see the value in using an LTE network vs HSPA+ other than cost to me right now. Do I really care about the LTE superior handling and management? No. I care about value!

IMO, the Sprint CDMA network is over-subscribed, iDen is on it's last leg, Verizon/Att is over priced, and the MetroPCS/Cricket CDMA2K network has not yet matured, depending largely on Sprint.

My money is on T-Mobile HSPA+ now that the merger is off they walk away with a 7 year UMTS roaming agreement and AWS spectrum.

From what I gather, the ATT LTE build out is not top priority, HSPA+ is, with LTE in the near future or so.

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
said by SysOp:

Have you looked at their price gouging? Should be obvious that you are paying for that shiny new LTE network when looking at their pricing structure.

HSPA+ is working just fine and cost me less. I am not going to pay what they are asking just to use LTE vs HSPA+. I just don't care which it is or what they call it or how it does it.

As a consumer, I don't see the value in using an LTE network vs HSPA+ other than cost to me right now. Do I really care about the LTE superior handling and management? No. I care about value!

IMO, the Sprint CDMA network is over-subscribed, iDen is on it's last leg, Verizon/Att is over priced, and the MetroPCS/Cricket CDMA2K network has not yet matured.

My money is on T-Mobile HSPA+ now that the merger is off they walk away with a 7 year UMTS roaming agreement and AWS spectrum.

From what I gather, the ATT LTE build out is not top priority, HSPA+ is, with LTE in the near future or so.

Verizon and AT&T haven't changed their prices since launching LTE. I don't know what you're talking about.

said by IIIBradIII:

Verizons voice traffic doesn't run over their lte signal.

Ofcourse not. but trials have begun and they're aiming for 2014.
--

SysOp

Douglasville, GA
Reviews:
·MetroPCS

3 edits
What I stated was their price is expensive and LTE has no value to me.

I am happy to agree with you; LTE is free with any overly priced plan from Verizon or ATT. No extra fee.

What I am saying is I don't care that they use LTE. I would rather have a less expensive plan, so be it that it's HSPA+. 4 down 1 up is AOK with me.

LTE is HYPE. Do you buy into it?

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
Yes i buy into it because i understand it's superiority. You clearly don't.
--

SysOp

Douglasville, GA
Thanks for sharing.

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
Anytime.

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to SysOp
I suspect (but don't know for sure) the real advantage of LTE is that LTE may be more efficient at using the carrier's spectrum. This was the driver from AMPS to D-AMPS, D-AMPS to CDMA/GSM/iDEN, and then onto UMTS/WiMAX/LTE, etc. They have finite spectrum, and whatever technology that allows them to get more out of it, is what they are going to use.

caribconsult
Premium
join:2003-03-19
Mayaguez, PR
Reviews:
·AT&T Wireless Br..
reply to SysOp
I don't know, and it appears no one here knows, what the actual technical differences are between HSPA+ and LTE and why they act they way they do, but I can report some observances, empirical data, if you will, from the field from an actual user.

Previously I used 3G Sprint/Millenicom which worked well (even with my router) for almost 3 years until it got so slow it had to abandon it.

I went to AT&T 4G, which initially was HSPA+, sometimes dropped down to HSPA, the mid and low levels respectively of 4G. I had many problems with this, particularly in the router, with connections dropped, hardware crashes, power-off resets, etc.

I wound up using the AT&T connection manager in a laptop computer as a dedicated host and ICS to share it out on my LAN. This worked much better, but sometimes the speeds would really shrink.

A week ago they upgraded here to LTE and the service was WAY better, WAY faster, and it worked correctly in my router, so I could bag the ICS setup which I'm not particularly fond of.

Speeds are much better than HSPA+ and reliability is infinitely better and all of this is due to the LTE protocol...I have changed nothing in the rest of my whole system.

Would anyone care to put a price on that?
--
Sierra 313U/AT&T 4G LTE in Cradlepoint CTR500 router, 2 LinkSys WiFi a/p, 4 XPPro units, FireFox everywhere.
Expand your moderator at work

SysOp

Douglasville, GA
Reviews:
·MetroPCS

4 edits
reply to caribconsult

Re: [4G] My money is on HSPA+

Why not just tell us how much you are spending.

But if I had to guess, more than $200 a month considering multiple computers and assumption of more than 100gb of data monthly. Verizon comes out cheaper.

Verizon 4G USB Modem
$50 for 5gb
$80 for 10gb
Overage $10.00/GB

ATT 4G USB Modem
$50 for 5gb
Overage $10.00/GB

caribconsult
Premium
join:2003-03-19
Mayaguez, PR
Reviews:
·AT&T Wireless Br..
reply to SysOp
I'm spending just a tad less than when I had Sprint 3G. That account was thru Millenicom, a subseller, and it was unlimited, for $70/month and buy your own device, which at that time cost me $100. The AT&T account has a 5Gb cap but is only $50, so I can get 2Gb more for the same money as before. Since I'm retired (former computer consultant) and my wife mainly uses here IPhone to go on line, I can live with the cap since the speeds are so much better. My monthly bill so far has been $60, so I'm coming out a bit ahead, but the money is secondary. The quicker service makes it much more usable. Also, it stays connected way better under LTE than it did with either 3G or 4GHSPA+.

I don't believe Verizon offers 4G MBB service here in Puerto Rico; in fact AT&T's corporate HQ didn't even know they (AT&T) were offering it here! I found out via a friend who just got it.
--
Sierra 313U/AT&T 4G LTE in Cradlepoint CTR500 router, 2 LinkSys WiFi a/p, 4 XPPro units, FireFox everywhere.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to caribconsult
Speeds are better cause at&t didn't run a full 42Mb/s HSPA+ network. I have no issue getting upto and over 30Mb/s and 3Mb/s up on t-mobile here in chicago. At all. I get same or faster speeds than my friend with a thunerbolt. and a HELL of a lot better battery life!
--
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult. The day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
Alden Nowlan

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Portland, OR
reply to SysOp
If there is no signal, doesn't matter if its CDMA/LTE/UMTS/JOESCHMO

These cell companies are not expanding their coverage.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:2
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to SysOp
It seems that until the Smart Phone manufacturers figure out how to provide sufficient battery life for a phone using LTE, I'll stick with HSPA+. Every time a new LTE phone comes out, I read post after post of people complaining of the battery life of the phone. Even with the iPhone, supposedly Apple did not make the 4S an LTE because of battery life issues. And they are still having battery life issues with the 4S as it is.
--
"Is there a 50's Cafe around here"?