uniqs

Mystiky5
@verizon.net

Mystiky5 to More Fiber

Anon

to More Fiber

Re: Actiontec MI424WR FIOS N Router REV. I

>

I guess maybe I did not write clearely in my previous message.

I am planning to have the Actiontec as the FIRST thing that is connected to the ONT unit. Then I plan to connect the Netgear WNDR3700 connect into the WAN port of ActionTec.

Won't the COAX cables from the ONT go into the COAX connector of the ActionTec?

Or am I still missing something (I re-read the FAQ). I am thinking that option #2 is the right connection for me.

Pepsiman
join:2002-01-18
Brooklyn, NY

Pepsiman to WK2

to WK2
Click for full size
Click for full size
I just had the 150/65 installed today & I called up this morning, these guys are quick, called at around 11:00am 01/02/11 installer came like 12:30pm, the only thing is, he had to run another cable (Ethernet) from the ONT to the Rev. I router and the order still not complete, they didn't throw the switch yet, I am still on 35/35
claibourne
join:2011-07-04
Garland, TX

1 edit

claibourne to Mystiky5

to Mystiky5
said by Mystiky5 :

>

I am planning to have the Actiontec as the FIRST thing that is connected to the ONT unit. Then I plan to connect the Netgear WNDR3700 connect into the WAN port of ActionTec.

Or am I still missing something (I re-read the FAQ). I am thinking that option #2 is the right connection for me.

Yes, the internet connection from the ONT is on the coax in the config you described.

You'll want to connect your WNDR3700's Internet Port to an Actiontec LAN port (yellow), not the white internet port. The 3700 and Actiontec both use 192.168.1.x for their LANs by default, bit IIRC, the 3700 will sense this and change its LAN address space to 10.0.0.x automatically. If it doesn't you'll have to change it.

You can then follow the instructions in the FAQ to put the 3700 in the Actiontec's DMZ if you wish (recommended).

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to rev I

Premium Member

to rev I
Getting my router replacement. I was told by Billing that VZ was shipping out Revision I routers as replacements while supplies last.

Fireguyy
join:2006-10-01

Fireguyy

said by WK2:

Getting my router replacement. I was told by Billing that VZ was shipping out Revision I routers as replacements while supplies last.

Billing has no clue what you will get, statement most likely made to satisfy you at the time.
Fireguyy

Fireguyy to Pepsiman

to Pepsiman
said by Pepsiman:

I just had the 150/65 installed today & I called up this morning, these guys are quick, called at around 11:00am 01/02/11 installer came like 12:30pm, the only thing is, he had to run another cable (Ethernet) from the ONT to the Rev. I router and the order still not complete, they didn't throw the switch yet, I am still on 35/35

There's no switch to throw, it should change over automatically the day of.
Fireguyy

Fireguyy to Mystiky5

to Mystiky5
said by Mystiky5 :

>

I'd go with option #3, I have a similar setup, but the PC is hardwired to the actiontec.

Kenshin
@verizon.net

Kenshin to WK2

Anon

to WK2
Just ordered mine and they are gonna mail me a router for 150/65 lets see what I get.

Pepsiman
Brooklyn, NY

Pepsiman

Kenshin,
A tech has to come out and run an Ethernet line, I also just got off the phone with Vz tech support, I have everything hooked up but he told me my ONT needs to be changed, duh I have the Motorola 1000JI, this sucks now i have to wait till Saturday cause I work during the week
RolteC
The Need for Speed
join:2001-05-20
New York, NY

RolteC

They just called and told me the same thing. Saturday morning it is.

Pepsiman
Brooklyn, NY

Pepsiman

I should break there balls, I'll tell them to gave me a newer ONT, right now I have the ONT Motorola 1000JI
ejeanmaire
join:2010-12-01
Rockville, MD

ejeanmaire to rev I

to rev I
Glad to see that they are finally starting to roll out more GigE / N routers!

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612 to Pepsiman

MVM

to Pepsiman
Why would you want a newer ONT? Isn't a Motorola 1000JI already a GPON ONT with a Gigabit port?

Pepsiman
Brooklyn, NY

Pepsiman

because Vz tech support told me the ONT does not support the 150/65 speeds and they don't know what the hell there doing.
claibourne
Garland, TX

claibourne

said by claibourne:

I have an installer coming out Wed morning to add a coax outlet and an STB and will see what he has on the truck. Here in N TX they've still been deploying Westells on new installs, at least up until fairly recently. I'm interested to see what he says they're deploying now.

No luck... The installer who just did my coax install (and the installer doing a new FiOS deployment next door at the same time) had only Westell Rev C's. He said they've been told about "the N routers" but so far they haven't seen any here.
bigpapae35
join:2002-10-25
New York, NY

bigpapae35 to rev I

to rev I
has anyone had any luck with getting rev i's through verizon ordering over the phone?

I just asked for a new one, and they said they cannot promise any specific model, but agent said they have been trying to send out new ones lately since there is a shortage of refurbs.
claibourne
Garland, TX

claibourne

Update: Just went next door and chatted with the neighbors. They had a double-play installed, with 15/5 and digital voice. The router installed was.... (what appears to be a refurbed) Westell Rev B. Scratches and a couple marks on the case.
bigpapae35
join:2002-10-25
New York, NY

bigpapae35

that makes sense on low tier double play without video portion.

Since the real benefit rev f and higher routers is moca 1.1 which is needed for video portion, not internet.

Rax
Premium Member
join:2003-11-13
Floral Park, NY

Rax to rev I

Premium Member

to rev I
I got sent a REV G instead of an I for the 150 mb service and wondered what the exact differences were between them and what the I has that the G doesn't

xgman
@verizon.net

xgman

Anon

verizon seems to be playing ashel;l game of sorts with these routers. They are very stingy when it comes to allowing you to get the newest technology.

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2 to Rax

Premium Member

to Rax
The rev. G has a larger NAT Table
claibourne
Garland, TX

claibourne to bigpapae35

to bigpapae35
said by bigpapae35:

that makes sense on low tier double play without video portion.

Since the real benefit rev f and higher routers is moca 1.1 which is needed for video portion, not internet.

Yep, I can definitely see them using the older stuff for the speed tier that doesn't require gigabit WAN. And we can't get that here.

However, MoCA 1.1 could be useful even without video, if you want to use MoCA bridges to extend to more than 7 devices besides the router, on the same MoCA channel.
claibourne

claibourne to WK2

to WK2
said by WK2:

serge was going to post the results of a smallnetbuilder nat table test to validate that. Haven't seen an update from him yet, though.

On the MoCA Alliance website, the Rev G does not appear to be MoCA 1.1 certified. The F is; the link for the I is there but it's broken. Kinda interesting that all the Actiontecs except the Rev G have been through certification testing; if it has, the certificate isn't there.
RolteC
The Need for Speed
join:2001-05-20
New York, NY

RolteC to rev I

to rev I
Wish I got a Rev. I. I just received a Rev G in the mail(UPS). Looks brand new.
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

serge87 to claibourne

to claibourne
said by claibourne:

said by WK2:

serge was going to post the results of a smallnetbuilder nat table test to validate that. Haven't seen an update from him yet, though.

sorry for the slight delay, the clutch on my car started acting up so I've had to focus on getting that fixed first. I will be posting the results, just gotta find some time first
claibourne
Garland, TX

claibourne

No worries, first things first, obviously.
waltb6
join:2011-12-27
Buffalo, NY

waltb6

Got my Gen 3 Rev I yesterday!
Have 35/35
Took a while, but tech finally delivered and installed it

birdy
@verizon.net

birdy to claibourne

Anon

to claibourne
I got lost trying to figure out the nat table again. I followed your instructions but you didn't say what to use for the default gateway. I used 10.0.0.1. I wasn't sure what to do with the computer that hooked up to the wan port. I changed the ip and subnet mask on my computer instead of the router. Couldn't figure out either how to configure the wan (ppoe) [not sure if I was suppose to use this or not]. Sorry, I'm not a very router savvy guy. If you could spare just a little more detail with the LAN configuration and much more detail on the WAN configuration, I'll finally nail this thing and figure it out.

When I tested everything I was getting only 1 packet sent. (1-1)=0, so actually no packets were sent via the (client.exe/server.exe) test. The rev G does have much more ram available than the rev I does. Looks like rev I maybe has 64Mb ram (based on the firewall dump -ps telnet command), and rev G is somewhere in the nineties or higher.

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2 to rev I

Premium Member

to rev I
I got a Rev F in the mail. No big deal. I have an extra Rev D laying around I'll send that back.
claibourne
Garland, TX

claibourne to birdy

to birdy
No problem, it's a good opportunity to play around and learn. Nothing here that the reset button can't fix if needed.

On the client PC, which you connect to the AT LAN, no changes are needed. After resetting the router to defaults, just plug that PC into the AT LAN port, and assuming it's setup to get an address automatically, you should be good to go with an address in the default 192.168.1.x subnet.

Log into the AT. Click on blue globe, then "Broadband Connection (Ethernet)", then the "Settings" button.

On the settings screen, look for the "Internet Protocol" line. The drop-down box should say "Obtain an IP Address Automatically." Change that to "Use the Following IP Address."

Now you'll get boxes for the IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway. Make the first one 10.0.0.100, the second 255.255.255.0, and the third 10.0.0.1. (A default gateway isn't needed for the test, but you can add one anyway). No need to change anything else on this screen; just click "Apply".

No other changes to any other router settings are needed.

On the second PC, which will be the server, change its network settings to static. This varies a little bit depending on the version of Windows, but assuming you know how to set this on yours, make the IP Address 10.0.0.101, netmask 255.255.255.0. You can leave the default route blank or make it 10.0.0.1.

Plug this PC into the AT WAN port. To make sure it's set up right, open a cmd.exe window and ping the router: "ping 10.0.0.100". If you get an answer, the rest of the test should work as documented in the snb docs.

Let me know if this helps. If not, we should probably move the conversation to email.