Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

KenAF

join:2006-01-23
Arlington, VA
reply to rev I

Re: Actiontec MI424WR FIOS N Router REV. I

Has anyone tried bridging two Rev I (or Rev G) routers over coax? If so, what throughput are you able to achieve between rooms?

I currently have a pair of Westells bridged over coax, but MoCA throughput between rooms is limited by the 100Mbps ethernet port. I am curious as to the network throughput I would see with a pair of revision G's or I's.

nothing00

join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY
said by KenAF:

Has anyone tried bridging two Rev I (or Rev G) routers over coax? If so, what throughput are you able to achieve between rooms?

I currently have a pair of Westells bridged over coax, but MoCA throughput between rooms is limited by the 100Mbps ethernet port. I am curious as to the network throughput I would see with a pair of revision G's or I's.

I have a several Rev I routers installed for exactly this reason. (And to give local gigabit enabled devices a faster path to each other and eliminate gigabit switches.)

Dragging a file from a remote Windows share to my local computer reported an average file transfer speed of 17MB/second.

So yes, if you have multiple routers in your home the gigabit ports will improve your MoCA performance.

irock1985

join:2012-02-04
Perris, CA
reply to rev I
Ok so this is just to put this out there... As my problem with logging in to my new FiOS router.... The username is admin and the password is whatever is on the sticker on the side **BUT** (I did not know this nor did the tech installing) when typing the password the SHIFT button was counting as a input and making the password wrong so to successfully login I had to toggle CAPS LOCK on/off for the capital letters in the password....

Don't know if this has been stated before but my numerous searches did not show anything. So I just wanted to pass this around as general public knowledge for other people like me.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
reply to KenAF
My friend has done it, I'll ask him what he thinks

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to irock1985
said by irock1985:

Ok so this is just to put this out there... As my problem with logging in to my new FiOS router.... The username is admin and the password is whatever is on the sticker on the side **BUT** (I did not know this nor did the tech installing) when typing the password the SHIFT button was counting as a input and making the password wrong so to successfully login I had to toggle CAPS LOCK on/off for the capital letters in the password....

Don't know if this has been stated before but my numerous searches did not show anything. So I just wanted to pass this around as general public knowledge for other people like me.

Just FYI - the password box adds a number of bullets as your typing so even though pressing the shift key made it look like a new character was entered, nothing was actually registered. I have no idea why they designed it this way (pretty lame security measure), but that's how it is.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:17
How is it a lame security measure? It is done to prevent shoulder surfing....

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
said by nycdave:

How is it a lame security measure?

How many calls does it generate?
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
How many non-technical customers log into their routers? Verizon felt this increased security measure would outweigh the customer confusion.

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium
join:1999-10-16
Norwalk, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Marty999
you may want to consider a cheaper alternative,get one of these »www.dlink.com/products/?pid=494

hook it up to the new rev I router and all the other house cables to the switch. you will have 9600byte jumbo frames in your house for full speed file sharing and when it's time to go out to the net it will drop down to 1500 anyways. here's a small snipet of it's specs

• Number of Ports: Five 10/100/1000BASE-T
• MAC Address Table: 8k
• Switch Fabric: 10Gbps
• Packet Buffer Memory:112KB per Device
• Transmission Method: Store-and-forward
• Jumbo Frames: Up to 9600 Bytes
• Cable Diagnostic LEDs

this means it has 112 thousand byte buffer per transciever port in case there's a slow down in one of your computers responding to incoming traffic.

this rev I router is no faster or better than new routers you can buy anywhere. the only unique thing is the 2 MOCA chips and it's ability and that too can be bought outside Verizon's influenece. you may want to consider keeping it.

me I'm more impressed with a gigabit router( DIR-825) that has IPV6 functioning now with a 2.4 and a 5GHZ radios and separate antennas to provide true high speed wireless throughout your house, of course you will need 5GHZ cards or plug ins for your laptops in case they do not have 5ghz. with native IPV6 as the edge router all your Linux and windows machines would work much nicer in v6 and the Homegroup feature of windows would be much faster in a native IPV6 implementation as it has to convert each packet back and forth

me I'm still using the Westell 9100 that Verizon has discontinued as it's the ONLY one so far that has true large NAT table, so that my 2 sons and grandkids can do their gaming to different networks and I still have plenty of bandwidth to do my thing and my wife to battle Facebook and the SLOW farm from hell

serge87

join:2009-11-29
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by rtcy:

me I'm still using the Westell 9100 that Verizon has discontinued as it's the ONLY one so far that has true large NAT table,

Not entirely true. I had the Actiontec rev. D(incredibly inferior) and replaced it with the Westell 9100, which does have a large NAT table. I recently received the Actiontec rev. G which trumps the 9100 in NAT table size, which left me pleasantly surprised. Rev G or I are kings in NAT size in Verizon's router lineup as of today

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium
Norwalk, CA
reply to birdy
said by birdy :

Forgot this bit of info as well...

wifi0: Atheros 9287: mem=0xf3000000, irq=25 hw_base=0xc8860000

Looks like the I will once again be able to run DD-WRT with a ARM processor and Atheros radios

tennisman94

join:2010-02-18
Palm Harbor, FL
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to rtcy
I had one of those D-links, but it was the 8-port version. After about a year, it started needing a power-cycle every other day, so I replaced it with one of these »www.trendnet.com/products/prodde···tus=view

Similar Specs:
8 x 10/100/1000Mbps Auto-Negotiation, Auto-MDIX Gigabit Ethernet ports
GREENnet technology reduces power consumption when:
Ethernet port is not in use
Connected device is turned off
Connected device is in power-saving mode
Based on Ethernet cable length
Store-and-Forward switching architecture with non-blocking wire-speed performance
IEEE 802.3x Flow Control for full-duplex mode
Back pressure Flow Control for half-duplex mode
Integrated address look-up engine with 4K absolute MAC address table and 128KBytes RAM data buffering
Operates and maximizes packet filtering and forwarding rate
Jumbo Frame support up to 9612Bytes
Sturdy metal housing
Diagnostic LEDs and Plug & Play
3-year limited warranty

NOTE: My issue was probably related to the fact that the switch was placed in a very small enclosed space (a wire cabinet thing) and the metal enclosure of the trendnet probably dissipates heat better than the plastic one of the D-link. I've since moved the d-link to another location with better ventilation where it's worked fine for the past few weeks.

KenAF

join:2006-01-23
Arlington, VA
reply to serge87
said by serge87:

said by rtcy:

me I'm still using the Westell 9100 that Verizon has discontinued as it's the ONLY one so far that has true large NAT table,

Not entirely true. I had the Actiontec rev. D(incredibly inferior) and replaced it with the Westell 9100, which does have a large NAT table. I recently received the Actiontec rev. G which trumps the 9100 in NAT table size, which left me pleasantly surprised. Rev G or I are kings in NAT size in Verizon's router lineup as of today

In your experience, how does the Actiontec rev. G compare to the Westell 9100? For example, how do the two compare in NAT table size?

claibourne

join:2011-07-04
Garland, TX
Go back a page and you'll see a chart for the Actiontec F, G, and I.

The Westell Rev A is approx 150,000; Revs B and C are approx 162,000.

claibourne

Garland, TX

1 edit
Click for full size
I just updated the chart with Actiontec Rev E, plus Westell info. Some Westell info is missing because I can't verify it myself.

Edit -- I had 150k NAT entries stuck in my head on the Westell Rev A, but I just noticed the FAQ says 130k. I'll update the chart later with the correct info.

MrKal_El

join:2003-01-19
Franklin Square, NY
reply to nothing00
said by nothing00:

said by KenAF:

I have a several Rev I routers installed for exactly this reason. (And to give local gigabit enabled devices a faster path to each other and eliminate gigabit switches.)

Dragging a file from a remote Windows share to my local computer reported an average file transfer speed of 17MB/second.

So yes, if you have multiple routers in your home the gigabit ports will improve your MoCA performance.

I have yet to test that specifically...but my I bridged achives pretty much full 150Mb d/l speed through the ethernet ports...
--
Twitter: MrKal_El

serge87

join:2009-11-29
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to KenAF
said by KenAF:

said by serge87:

In your experience, how does the Actiontec rev. G compare to the Westell 9100? For example, how do the two compare in NAT table size?

With the same test conditions the Westell 9100EM consistently ran out of NAT entries way before the rev G did. The Westell(rev. B) claims a 160K NAT table but in my experience it runs out before 100K(closer to ~70-80K, hurray marketing?). The Actiontec rev G doesn't have an "official" spec listed for its NAT table size but will easily handle 100-175K connections(can also do 200K+ , but with some noticeable slowdown in performance). However, don't use the NAT table size as a primary factor in choosing between the two routers. For my purposes they both equally performed more than well enough, excluding the NAT table size difference. The Westell should be able to handle anything an average home user will throw at it NAT table-wise.

New Router7

join:2012-02-07
reply to rev I
I am considering trying to upgrade to the Rev I router. I am trying to use port forwarding to enable an inbound VPN without disabling the On screen Caller ID, and remote access to the DVR.
Currently with my Rev F, whenever I set up the port forward for the VPN protocols it disables the Caller ID and Remote DVR.
A verizon support tech wasn't sure if the Rev I improved on this problem or not. Has anybody successfully setup Inbound VPN without killing the other services?

claibourne

Garland, TX
reply to rev I
wallybabes2nes has lowered his Rev I price:

»www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2012-ACTION···c2792893

However, he's charging $15 for shipping (used to be free), so you can now save a grand total of $4.99 over his original price.

BigRay5264

join:2004-03-14
Alameda, CA
reply to rev I
had a service call for constant outages...FiOS tech switched out my Rev F for a Rev I (on 35/35)

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
reply to rev I

(topic move) Any benefit to getting a newer Rev router?

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 1 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »Any benefit to getting a newer Rev router?

jonhern

join:2012-03-26
reply to rtcy

Re: Actiontec MI424WR FIOS N Router REV. I

said by rtcy:

you may want to consider a cheaper alternative,get one of these »www.dlink.com/products/?pid=494

the installer gave me this one for free so i could have wired connections downstairs. »www.dlink.com/products/?pid=479

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium
Norwalk, CA
reply to claibourne
said by claibourne:

Last update.

Next up: A debate on whether a single core ARM processor is or is not "better" than a dual-core Cavium. Which I will not participate in.

Clairbourne where did you get the data for the processor ARM926ej-S as I already started asking the folks at DD-WRT about support for it. can anyone post all the full blown output on this baby ? PLEASE

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium
Norwalk, CA
reply to birdy
said by birdy :

BusyBox v1.01 (2005.09.07-07:38+0000) Built-in shell (lash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

/ # cat /proc/kmsg
JFFS2 version 2.2. (NAND) (C) 2001-2003 Red Hat, Inc.
Using Hamming 1-bit ECC for NAND device
NAND device: Manufacturer ID: 0xad, Chip ID: 0xf1 (Hynix NAND 128MiB 3,3V 8-bit)
Creating 2 MTD partitions on "nand_mtd":
0x00200000-0x02200000 : "JFFS2"
0x00000000-0x00200000 : "u-boot"

Also of interest is that there is a HYNIX H27U1G8F2BTR-BC 1GB NAND Flash on board of the Rev I. I'm not exactly sure how this ram is partitioned (I don't know if the above mentioned 128MB module is partitioned from the 1GB chip or its own module).

Birdy how about a full post of what's under the hood PLEASE thank you oh and does it have a JTAG pad ?

HD_Ride
Premium
join:2000-10-18
Jerseyastan
reply to rtcy
said by rtcy:

said by claibourne:

Last update.

Next up: A debate on whether a single core ARM processor is or is not "better" than a dual-core Cavium. Which I will not participate in.

Clairbourne where did you get the data for the processor ARM926ej-S as I already started asking the folks at DD-WRT about support for it. can anyone post all the full blown output on this baby ? PLEASE

IIRC you and I both had the Rev A flashed with dd-wrt. We knew going into it the coax interface would be castrated so IMO it is not worth the effort unless they can code it to work otherwise you are better off with a $50 retail router, dd-wrt and moco adapter or NIM in my case. That said I hope you and the dd-wrt developers could pull it off

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
Be awesome if they are able to get MoCa running in DD-WRT for the Rev. A - I. As far as I understand they need to code a driver for the component to work. After that it's really not a whole lot different from adding adapters and routes in Linux. I have a Rev. D with DD-WRT and would love to use it for FiOS when it shows up here. Verizon will probably wonder why I have one, and if they go to use it, why Coax doesn't work :P . As far as I understand the device used for MoCa is already known, so I don't expect it to be super hard to either pick the driver out of the Verizon firmware (the .bin you extract before flashing) or to engineer one.

Triptothane

join:2004-03-09
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to rtcy
Click for full size
Hello, I'm Birdy.

Not sure what much more you want to know. There is the same 6 pin header that's present as on the other revisions. It looks like they've moved it from the front of the processor (LED area) to the left side (power led side) of the board. JTAG is usually a 5 pin configuration, so I'm not sure of it's function. Those headers are usually placed very close to the processor or pld or fpga, so it seems strange that it was moved so far. But as far as your list goes...

NAND: Hynix H27U1G8F2BTR 128MB Module
Memory: NANYA NT5CB64M16DP-CF 128MB DDR3-1333
ARM9 Processor: ARM926EJ-Sid(wt) rev 1 (v5l)
Gigabit Ethernet Transceiver: Marvell 88E1545-LKJ2
USB Hub Controller: Genesys Logic GL850G
LAN Transformer: MAGCOM GT0001
Discrete LAN Transformers (2x): Delta LFE9311 Dual port, 10/100/1000 base
Entropic Chips (2x): EN2510 Single Chip Coaxial Network Controller and RF Transceiver

Not to hard to take this guy apart, you just need one of those fancy plastic prying tools

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium
Norwalk, CA

2 edits
reply to HD_Ride
said by HD_Ride:

said by rtcy:

said by claibourne:

Last update.

IIRC you and I both had the Rev A flashed with dd-wrt. We knew going into it the coax interface would be castrated so IMO it is not worth the effort unless they can code it to work otherwise you are better off with a $50 retail router, dd-wrt and moco adapter or NIM in my case. That said I hope you and the dd-wrt developers could pull it off

I have a OLD Motorola Moca box that Verizon first gave out when FIOs came out, it's STILL hooked up to the REV C running DD-WRT, since then I have converted a few for friends. the Motorola Moca box still shows up in EBAY from time to time.

this whole issue as you say is trivial and can be bypassed with the Buffalo routers already wired with DD. but this stuff still keeps me busy and interested. I was just also looking at my old firewall Gnatbox and the latest called GBware for the last 7 years its VERY good and ICSA 4.1 certified it's around 300.00 for 10 user license, may go back to it.(it has a huge NAT table too and very configurable)

With Verizon getting set to tell on all of us in July , I think a lot of people in here are going to go the easiest route. DD-WRT router to a VPN site so it all go encrypted across Verizon's network.

no matter what I do my kids and grand kids or their friends tend to do stupid stuff and I don't want to make it easier for my buddies in Hollywood. for 9 dollars a month VPN will be my backup to managing what goes on in 7 home computers, game servers and all the other crap hooked up. PLEASE no stealing comments, I don't endorse it, but as Art Linkletter used to say kids will do the darnest things, and mine got it from me

BTW I still OWE you and a couple of other friends for all your hard work and I appreciate it VERY much.

BTW the Westell 9100's run circles around the Actiontecs for NAT issues, my 12 year old and his older brother had 3 steam servers running with the firewall off and ran it past 100k in minutes (yes my personal computers are on a separate network ) and ALL have password and their firewalls on.

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium
Norwalk, CA

1 edit
reply to Triptothane
said by Triptothane:

Hello, I'm Birdy.

Not sure what much more you want to know. There is the same 6 pin header that's present as on the other revisions. It looks like they've moved it from the front of the processor (LED area) to the left side (power led side) of the board. JTAG is usually a 5 pin configuration, so I'm not sure of it's function. Those headers are usually placed very close to the processor or pld or fpga, so it seems strange that it was moved so far. But as far as your list goes...

NAND: Hynix H27U1G8F2BTR 128MB Module
Memory: NANYA NT5CB64M16DP-CF 128MB DDR3-1333
ARM9 Processor: ARM926EJ-Sid(wt) rev 1 (v5l)
Gigabit Ethernet Transceiver: Marvell 88E1545-LKJ2
USB Hub Controller: Genesys Logic GL850G
LAN Transformer: MAGCOM GT0001
Discrete LAN Transformers (2x): Delta LFE9311 Dual port, 10/100/1000 base
Entropic Chips (2x): EN2510 Single Chip Coaxial Network Controller and RF Transceiver

Not to hard to take this guy apart, you just need one of those fancy plastic prying tools

Thank you Birdy, up til 2 days ago I was not sure what the processor was from what I read. it seems since yesterday the posts in here have revealed a lot more. If I'm not mistaken the WRN350 ? has this same processor and already has support in OPEN-WRT and DD-WRT so it may be easier to port. that pad next to the Hynyx chip looks like a JTAG pad, it could also be that 6 pin on the bottom left too. NICE photo

with your permission I will post your picture and all the other new info and see if it gets done, will have to send some cash to HeadSlayer and see. this will give me a GIIG switch and a faster processor to do the VPN faster yes I can always go to a X86 box and DD or OPEN-WRT but I lack the room and don't like the noise, but also looking at ATOM based mini-itx solutions

Triptothane

join:2004-03-09
Pittsburgh, PA
@rtcy: You can use the picture. No bottom picture because of a hex nut I couldn't easily remove. Was starting to get all marred up. The FCC picture is good enough. Just shows ya some caps/resistors and the DDR3 chip.