Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TazExprez

join:2002-04-27
Yonkers, NY
reply to rev I

Re: Actiontec MI424WR FIOS N Router REV. I

I did a couple of wireless tests with the router.

Result with compatibility mode:

Result with performance mode:

TazExprez

Yonkers, NY
reply to rev I

Here are three pictures of my new router.

Zero

join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA
reply to TazExprez

Have you given Verizon's own speedtest site a try?

»speedtest.verizon.net

I'd be curious to see the kind of results it gives you compared to speedtest.net considering it's within the VZ network.

TazExprez

Yonkers, NY

said by Zero:

Have you given Verizon's own speedtest site a try?

»speedtest.verizon.net

I'd be curious to see the kind of results it gives you compared to speedtest.net considering it's within the VZ network.

According to Verizon's New York test, I get 150.937 Mbps/36.486 Mbps.

TazExprez

Yonkers, NY
reply to rev I

I ran the Verizon New York test again and this time got 151.434 Mbps/36.342 Mbps. I read the full report this time and the round trip was 23.57ms.

TazExprez

Yonkers, NY
reply to rev I

I ran the Verizon NY test twice again using WiFi and got 74.442 Mbps/35.506 Mbps/42.6 ms and 71.01 Mbps/35.743 Mbps/44.71 ms.

claibourne

join:2011-07-04
Garland, TX
reply to TazExprez

Just curious; if this is a new FiOS install, have you run the Verizon Optimizer on the PC you're doing the speedtests from? It will make several changes to the tcp stack on your PC that make a noticeable impact on upload performance.

foolmeonce

@optonline.net
reply to rev I

I received this router (I) last night with my upgrade to the triple play. Shipped firmware 40.19.22

I am in upper Westchester County, NY.

Is there a user guide available for this router? Could not find anything via Google.

Expand your moderator at work

TazExprez

Yonkers, NY
reply to claibourne

No I didn't run the optimizer. I mostly use my Mac, so I will run the Apple Broadband Tuner 1.0 and see what happens. I will also run the Verizon optimizer on all the PC's. I wonder if there are any optimizers for the XBOX 360, PS3, Wii, iPod Touch, and iPhone?

claibourne

join:2011-07-04
Garland, TX
reply to foolmeonce

said by foolmeonce :

Is there a user guide available for this router? Could not find anything via Google.

Normally the Verizon User Guide and firmware are available on the Actiontec support website, but they don't seem to be there (yet) for the Rev I.

tedhersh3

join:2000-03-20
Dundalk, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Zero

3.1 Overview
The FiOS Router provides the user with wireless connectivity over the 802.11b,
g, and n standards (the most common wireless standards). 802.11b has a
maximum data rate of 11 Mbps, 802.11g has a maximum data rate of 54 Mbps,
and 802.11n has a maximum data rate of 160 Mbps. All standards operate in the
2.4 GHz range. This was on the cd i got with the router.

MrKal_El

join:2003-01-19
Franklin Square, NY
reply to foolmeonce

said by foolmeonce :

I received this router (I) last night with my upgrade to the triple play. Shipped firmware 40.19.22

So you are saying this was the standard Router given to you w/out the 150Mb plan?
--
Twitter: MrKal_El

dagwag77
Premium
join:2011-09-05
NY, USA

1 edit

Had a tech at my place today so I asked him about the I. He didn't know what the difference was between the rev G which I have with the 150 plan and the rev I, but he gave me one to check out.

He also told me that they are using the rev I for all the new installs, but that he was told to still use the rev G for 150 customers.

Anyone see any difference between rev G and rev I?

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
reply to rev I

I had a tech out today, asked him about the Revision I router and he knew nothing about it. Maybe that garage didn't get the new shipment yet.

Sdofi

@verizon.net
reply to birdfeedr

The Verizon stores sells and accepts returns for DSL products as well.
While this does not necessarily mean that they can do exchanges for DSL products.
If rev I is the new general release FiOS router then I think alot of us are very interested in upgrading to the gigabit switching and newer wireless N features. Especially if it is free.
So can anybody confirm (or deny) doing a FiOS router exchange at a Verizon store?

Sdofi

@verizon.net
reply to rev I

Being a former TWC customer I kind of expect that retail stores do exchanges for things other than STBs. I had the pleasure of returning their cable modems more than once.

But TWC definitely treated cable modems as monthly rentals like their STBs.
Verizon would be providing less competitive customer service if it did not allow their customers to exchange their routers - we pay them a small fortune every month.

degeester

join:2002-03-08
La Quinta, CA
reply to rev I

I had a tech out to house. I was having a problem with Internet connection freezing or going slow. He replaced the ONT and the router and to my suprise installed a Actiontec MI424WR N Rev 1, replacing my Rev F. All is good.

Expand your moderator at work

Fireguyy

join:2006-10-01
reply to Sdofi

said by Sdofi :

The Verizon stores sells and accepts returns for DSL products as well.
While this does not necessarily mean that they can do exchanges for DSL products.
If rev I is the new general release FiOS router then I think alot of us are very interested in upgrading to the gigabit switching and newer wireless N features. Especially if it is free.
So can anybody confirm (or deny) doing a FiOS router exchange at a Verizon store?

The supply is limited so it's only being given out on new installs. If you can't wait and want it now you can call to purchase one. They cannot be exchanged at the Verizon store, any dropships will be replaced with a like for like until lack of inventory requires replacement with the rev. I

Fireguyy

reply to Sdofi

said by Sdofi :

Being a former TWC customer I kind of expect that retail stores do exchanges for things other than STBs. I had the pleasure of returning their cable modems more than once.

But TWC definitely treated cable modems as monthly rentals like their STBs.
Verizon would be providing less competitive customer service if it did not allow their customers to exchange their routers - we pay them a small fortune every month.

But you don't pay a monthly charge for your router, so how would this be less competitive?

sdofi

@verizon.net

In my past dealings with TWC they pretty much exchanged your cable modem no questioned asked. All you had to do was walk into their retail store with the cable modem and they will swap it for you. The same with STBs and remotes.

Both TWC and VZ charge a monthly fee (bundled or unbundled) for the TV service and a seperate rental fee for the STB.

Similarly both TWC and VZ charge a monthly fee for the Internet service with no seperate fee for the equipment.

It seems, from what has been posted so far, that VZ doesn't allow exchanges of the FiOS router at their retail stores.

So if the only difference between these two companies is that one allows Internet equipment exchanges and the other company does not then one company is providing less customer service and is therefore being less competitive.

Fireguyy

said by sdofi :

So if the only difference between these two companies is that one allows Internet equipment exchanges and the other company does not then one company is providing less customer service and is therefore being less competitive.

If there is a problem with your router, Verizon will gladly send you out another with 1 or next day delivery. If there is no problem with it, and your service is working just as good as it was when you agreed to the TOS, why should the company just willing exchange it for you?

It cost's the company a great deal of money to take in a router, screen, clean, and place it back into circulation just so that you can have a new one. This is why you can purchase a new router if it's a requirement for you to have the newest version immediately.

I'm not sure how TWC handles their returned equipment, maybe they just toss it back into the pile to hand out to the next customer that comes along so that they don't take on any cost.

SRF26

join:2000-04-03
Jamaica, NY

Hi. I just became a FiOS Triple Play subscriber and per the information from the router interface/set up, I have the following router:

Actiontec MI424WR-GEN2
Firmware: 20.19.8
Hardware Version: F

I currently have the WiFi radio disabled because I am using a D-Link Extreme N router for my wireless services. I did notice something when going through the Actiontec set up. Under the Wireless Settings, the Wireless Mode indicates "Compatibility Mode (802.11b/g/n)." Does this mean the router can support 802.11n devices? I thought Verizon didn't have any "N" capable routers.

TIA...JL

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29

The rev. F is draft 802.11n only.

foolmeonce

@optonline.net
reply to MrKal_El

said by MrKal_El:

said by foolmeonce :

So you are saying this was the standard Router given to you w/out the 150Mb plan?

That is correct! My triple play includes the 15/5 internet.

sdofi

@verizon.net
reply to Fireguyy

While TWC may not ask you exactly why you brought equipment back to their retail store for an exchange they know that most customers either have a real serious problem with the equipment or they want some sort of feature upgrade.

There is no dispute that there is significant cost involved in screening and refurbishing returns. Why do companies take this on? Maybe to generate customer satisfaction. Who ultimately pays for this? The customer does in the form of monthly bills.

I don't think that any company just hands back out returned equipment without any sort of testing. Doing so would cause more problems. At least some minimal QA is done. Sometimes the equipment is returned to the supplier or manufacturer for refurbishing.

Fortunately for me I have gotten back only working new (looking?) equipment (new box, manual, CD, cables, matching serial number and mac address stickers on box & equipment) for the ones I have returned.

I was a TWC customer for a long time and these returns were spaced out and far between.

SRF26

join:2000-04-03
Jamaica, NY
reply to More Fiber

said by More Fiber:

The rev. F is draft 802.11n only.

Thanks for the info.

Happy New Year....JL

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
reply to rev I

My Rev.F just died at one of my homes. Ordered one through Tech support, and they assured me it would be a rev I. I heard that song before. let's see what I get.

degeester

join:2002-03-08
La Quinta, CA

Unfortunately for you Fiosman it's router lottery. I played that game, they sent 3 replacements (overnight, very quick) but they were Rev. E's. The technician had Rev 1 on the truck so again I got lucky.