Search similar:

uniqs

radman
@verizon.net

radman to rev I

Anon

to rev I

Re: Actiontec MI424WR FIOS N Router REV. I

I am a 25/25 user and called in and was sent a new Rev I router with no charge. It was surprising that it was on my porch the next business day. Now can anyone tell me how to squeeze the advertised 300mbps out of the wireless N? All im getting is 130. I am getting 300 out of my belkin as an access point

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97

Premium Member

You're not going to see a reported connection speed of 300 with an Actiontec.

KCrimson
Premium Member
join:2001-02-25
Brooklyn, NY

KCrimson to radman

Premium Member

to radman
said by radman :

.... can anyone tell me how to squeeze the advertised 300mbps out of the wireless N?

Where did you see the router's wireless speed advertised at 300mbps? The 130 you're getting is the hardware's theoretical max.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

Question: What radio does the Rev. I even have in it? I could have sworn I saw someplace mentioning the Rev. I had a radio capable of 300Mbps if it was set to do so.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to rev I

Premium Member

to rev I
From what I understand the Actiontec channel width is limited to 20mhz.
tnsprin
join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL

tnsprin to Smith6612

to Smith6612
Yep its a claim in the datasheet »www.actiontec.com/produc ··· nded.pdf :

"...300 Mbps wireless, thanks to its new 802.11n wireless chipset."

Of course I am not sure I would believe it.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

I wouldn't believe it either. It might be possible Verizon swapped the radio out to something less or the firmware still doesn't have the right support for the higher performance on Wireless N which I would also not be surprised about.
hubrisnxs
join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA

hubrisnxs

when you're inside the router firmware page on the wireless b/g/n section, it shows max wireless n at 130mbs

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

said by hubrisnxs:

when you're inside the router firmware page on the wireless b/g/n section, it shows max wireless n at 130mbs

Thanks. I'm still wondering though if it's a firmware limitation being instituted or if it's a case of the actual radio installed in the ActionTec (perhaps that Verizon chose over the claimed 300Mbps radio) that is reducing speeds.
JTS33
join:2003-05-03
USA

JTS33 to Smith6612

to Smith6612
said by Smith6612:

Question: What radio does the Rev. I even have in it? I could have sworn I saw someplace mentioning the Rev. I had a radio capable of 300Mbps if it was set to do so.

The Rev. F had a neutered Wireless-N capable of only 65mbps max. The Rev. G had a semi-neutered Wireless-N capable of only 144mbps. I thought Rev. I with it's 2 antennas would have MIMO and be full 300mbps Wireless-N. But it sounds like Verizon is limiting it to 20Mhz width?

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

said by JTS33:

The Rev. F had a neutered Wireless-N capable of only 65mbps max. The Rev. G had a semi-neutered Wireless-N capable of only 144mbps. I thought Rev. I with it's 2 antennas would have MIMO and be full 300mbps Wireless-N. But it sounds like Verizon is limiting it to 20Mhz width?

Same. Sounds like it, in addition to a restricted Guard Interval to boot?
matthewh16
join:2010-05-21
Culver City, CA

matthewh16 to rev I

to rev I
Is there a way to get the Rev I without having to buy one? Ex getting it sent out as a replacement?
cigrmaster
join:2002-01-24
Sarasota, FL

cigrmaster

I just received this router in the mail from verizon the other day. I am paying for 35dwn/35up, once in a while I get these speeds but not that often. I use speakeasy and speedtest.net to check speeds. Is there anything I can do to guarantee my 35/35? Thanks
cigrmaster

cigrmaster

I should have mentioned I am wireless.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to matthewh16

MVM

to matthewh16
said by matthewh16:

Is there a way to get the Rev I without having to buy one?

Officially, no.

You won't get one asking for a replacement. Replacements are refurbished units, mostly rev. E & F.

A few have had luck scoring one from a FIOS tech in the neighborhood or by requesting a service visit. Others have not been so lucky.
More Fiber

More Fiber to cigrmaster

MVM

to cigrmaster
said by cigrmaster:

Is there anything I can do to guarantee my 35/35? [wireless]

No.

You can try changing the wireless channel, but there are no guarantees with wireless.
matthewh16
join:2010-05-21
Culver City, CA

matthewh16 to More Fiber

to More Fiber
said by More Fiber:

said by matthewh16:

Is there a way to get the Rev I without having to buy one?

Officially, no.

You won't get one asking for a replacement. Replacements are refurbished units, mostly rev. E & F.

A few have had luck scoring one from a FIOS tech in the neighborhood or by requesting a service visit. Others have not been so lucky.

Alright Thanks! My grandfather just had FiOS put in about a month ago, I'll see if he got a Rev I and is willing to swap .
Bytezboy
join:2001-05-17
New York, NY

Bytezboy to rev I

to rev I
Seems that the wireless signal is worse than the other non-Verizon provided routers. Anyone else noticed this?

rollinraver
join:2002-04-27
Buffalo, NY

rollinraver

Ugh, YES!!!! I just ran a test using speedtest.net and only got 21.97m down and 15.33m up. I'm sitting literally 7 feet from the router. That's on my laptop. And if I move my laptop further away, it's gone down to AT MOST 12-15m on the download and usually LESS THAN 10m on the up.

My ipad, curiously enough, will pull the full 35m download, but only roughs out around 20m upload. I have the 35/35 plan, internet only, so I'm only driving myself nuts by not replacing the damn actiontec. Oh, and my laptop only has a G wifi chip on 2.4mhz, so that MAY have something to do with me only getting ~22m download and ~15m upload.

miataman
I've attained a PHD in DVR.
Premium Member
join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA

miataman

Premium Member

said by rollinraver:

Ugh, YES!!!! and my laptop only has a G wifi chip on 2.4mhz, so that MAY have something to do with me only getting ~22m download and ~15m upload.

which means your router is running in compatibility mode. The IPad is a 802.11N device.
urraca
join:2009-04-01
New York, NY

1 edit

urraca

Re: Actiontec MI424WR FIOS N Router REV. I

I had a new 75/35 installation on July 1st and was given a Rev. G router

I feel that the Rev G. does not have the horsepower to handle all the connections per second (and overall throughput) of a large torrent download.

I have a problem maintaining the full 75 (well 85Mbit) pipe. I can barely cross the 8MB/sec download threshold, never mind get up near 10.

When I put in a beefier enterprise grade Router/Firewall (Cisco 1841 or 220), I can hit those higher speeds and maintain them. But maybe more testing is needed.

I won't even mention the joke of 15Mbit Wireless speeds.

I really don't want to lose all the capabilities of remote DVR, etc of using the Actiontec either. Has anyone else had any issues of maintaining the full performance of 75Mbit on a non-Rev I device?
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

serge87

said by urraca:

I feel that the Rev G. does not have the horsepower to handle all the connections per second (and overall throughput) of a large torrent download.

That can't be further from the truth.

Several months ago there was a discussion on this board about how many connections the Rev. G and Rev. I Actiontecs could handle. I tested my rev. G and I was able to maintain over 200K connections at a full 150Mbps before performance became unsteady. Another user got his rev. I to do 100K(FAQ) I no longer use the rev. G since I needed something that could handle 300K+ connections(pfSense) but its hardware is easily sufficient for sub-50K connection torrents. Have you tried configuring your TCP/IP settings within your operating system?

Hello123
@myvzw.com

Hello123

Anon

What's the default user name to login to the RevI
hubrisnxs
join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA

hubrisnxs

there should be a sticker with a user name of admin and a password that is described as a login password.

danclan
join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

danclan

password11

yeah oh so clever

KCrimson
Premium Member
join:2001-02-25
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

KCrimson

Premium Member

said by danclan:

password11

yeah oh so clever

Not on recent revisions of the Actiontec. My original FiOS install at a former address had the password1 default, but my Rev F and Rev I routers defaulted to a serial number username and a password that was a strange alphanumeric mix, as indicated on the sticker information on each (and each was different).

danclan
Midlothian, VA

1 edit

danclan

they will reset it to either "password11" or "1".

The convoluted gibberish password is on a sticker on the left side of the router along with the default wpa2 key and WEP Pin.

and i for one wish they removed the activity lights on the back of the router...i have activity lights on front already...
gadgetboyj
Premium Member
join:2009-08-25
Staten Island, NY

gadgetboyj

Premium Member

Why remove the ones on the back though?

danclan
Midlothian, VA

danclan

said by gadgetboyj:

Why remove the ones on the back though?

You don't ever see them typically in a home setting so they are redundant to the one's in front. These days i'm all for as few led's as possible.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

Most routers have them and, I don't see them going anywhere. I do however see your point