join:2009-04-01
New York, NY

1 edit

urraca to miataman

to miataman

Re: Actiontec MI424WR FIOS N Router REV. I

Re: Actiontec MI424WR FIOS N Router REV. I

I had a new 75/35 installation on July 1st and was given a Rev. G router

I feel that the Rev G. does not have the horsepower to handle all the connections per second (and overall throughput) of a large torrent download.

I have a problem maintaining the full 75 (well 85Mbit) pipe. I can barely cross the 8MB/sec download threshold, never mind get up near 10.

When I put in a beefier enterprise grade Router/Firewall (Cisco 1841 or 220), I can hit those higher speeds and maintain them. But maybe more testing is needed.

I won't even mention the joke of 15Mbit Wireless speeds.

I really don't want to lose all the capabilities of remote DVR, etc of using the Actiontec either. Has anyone else had any issues of maintaining the full performance of 75Mbit on a non-Rev I device?
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

serge87

said by urraca:

I feel that the Rev G. does not have the horsepower to handle all the connections per second (and overall throughput) of a large torrent download.

That can't be further from the truth.

Several months ago there was a discussion on this board about how many connections the Rev. G and Rev. I Actiontecs could handle. I tested my rev. G and I was able to maintain over 200K connections at a full 150Mbps before performance became unsteady. Another user got his rev. I to do 100K(FAQ) I no longer use the rev. G since I needed something that could handle 300K+ connections(pfSense) but its hardware is easily sufficient for sub-50K connection torrents. Have you tried configuring your TCP/IP settings within your operating system?

Hello123
@myvzw.com

Hello123

Anon

What's the default user name to login to the RevI
hubrisnxs
join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA

hubrisnxs

there should be a sticker with a user name of admin and a password that is described as a login password.

danclan
join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

danclan

password11

yeah oh so clever

KCrimson
Premium Member
join:2001-02-25
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

KCrimson

Premium Member

said by danclan:

password11

yeah oh so clever

Not on recent revisions of the Actiontec. My original FiOS install at a former address had the password1 default, but my Rev F and Rev I routers defaulted to a serial number username and a password that was a strange alphanumeric mix, as indicated on the sticker information on each (and each was different).

danclan
Midlothian, VA

1 edit

danclan

they will reset it to either "password11" or "1".

The convoluted gibberish password is on a sticker on the left side of the router along with the default wpa2 key and WEP Pin.

and i for one wish they removed the activity lights on the back of the router...i have activity lights on front already...
gadgetboyj
Premium Member
join:2009-08-25
Staten Island, NY

gadgetboyj

Premium Member

Why remove the ones on the back though?

danclan
Midlothian, VA

danclan

said by gadgetboyj:

Why remove the ones on the back though?

You don't ever see them typically in a home setting so they are redundant to the one's in front. These days i'm all for as few led's as possible.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

Most routers have them and, I don't see them going anywhere. I do however see your point
sneakaround
join:2001-06-19
Staten Island, NY

sneakaround

The lights on the back do more than show activity they also show the speed of the connection.
Bob99
join:2001-12-07
Teaneck, NJ

1 recommendation

Bob99

I do see the lights on the back of the router, and I like having them there. My router is on an open shelf facing into the room. When I sit at my computer desk I see the front of the router. But when I walk by the room and glance through the doorway I see the lights on the back of the router. I like the quick reassurance that everything is up and running.

danclan
Midlothian, VA

danclan

bob you are by and far the exception. From a very practical sense they are no longer needed. The front conveys all the information that 99% of users need. Those that need or want the lights in the back are very much the minority.

Linksys hasn't had lights on the back in a while and most home routers these have ditched led ports on the rear for the very reason posted, they are redundant and simply not needed.

It was a surprise to see that the actiontec still had them.

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2 to rev I

Premium Member

to rev I
If the lights on the front showed the speed (10/100/1000) then the ones on the back aren't needed at all. Until then I still like them on the back.
gadgetboyj
Premium Member
join:2009-08-25
Staten Island, NY

1 recommendation

gadgetboyj to danclan

Premium Member

to danclan
said by danclan:

Those that need or want the lights in the back are very much the minority.

Those that specifically don't want the lights there are in the minority as well

miataman
I've attained a PHD in DVR.
Premium Member
join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA

miataman

Premium Member

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· -2vFLbtc

danclan
Midlothian, VA

danclan to gadgetboyj

to gadgetboyj
said by gadgetboyj:

said by danclan:

Those that need or want the lights in the back are very much the minority.

Those that specifically don't want the lights there are in the minority as well

True but that hasn't really been an issue since they don't include them anymore anyways on most home routers.

Any word anywhere on when or if IPv6 will ever hit the Actiontec's?

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

Already has. I believe Verizon has some experimental firmware running on those trialing IPv6 in the Verizon network. If not, OpenWRT/DD-WRT has it built-in and also from what I've heard, has support for the newer ActionTecs AND MoCa capabilities being worked on.

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2

Premium Member

Could the Rev I support IPv6 with just a firmware update? I would think a new Actiontec would need to be rolled out..

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

Most likely. I've got Rev. D running DD-WRT with IPv6 support. Works just fine and that's with 32M of RAM and a 532Mhz XScale-IXP42x Family rev 2 (v5b) (Intel) CPU. Haven't come across any NAT Table issues yet but the ActionTec has a few Megabytes of unused RAM left. There's some idle RAM it's allocated but not used, so plenty of room.

KCrimson
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

KCrimson

Premium Member

I apologize in advance for the temporary thread hijack, but I'm curious about DD-WRT running on the Actiontec. Can it run as the primary router identically to the OF, or do you lose features (guide data and CID being the most likely)?
tnsprin
join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL

tnsprin to WK2

to WK2
In their announcent
»www22.verizon.com/Suppor ··· 8742.htm
they say they will support rev e and above of the MI424WR.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

1 recommendation

Thinkdiff to KCrimson

MVM,

to KCrimson
said by KCrimson:

I apologize in advance for the temporary thread hijack, but I'm curious about DD-WRT running on the Actiontec. Can it run as the primary router identically to the OF, or do you lose features (guide data and CID being the most likely)?

The MoCA chip is not supported under dd-wrt, so you'll definitely lose guide data, CID on TV, remote management, and VOD.

danclan
Midlothian, VA

1 recommendation

danclan

said by Thinkdiff:

said by KCrimson:

The MoCA chip is not supported under dd-wrt, so you'll definitely lose guide data, CID on TV, remote management, and VOD.

I wouldnt hold out for MOCA support either within dd-wrt anytime soon, otherwise I imagine a fair number of us would flash over pretty quick. Not all versions are supported which further complicates it.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

1 recommendation

Smith6612 to Thinkdiff

MVM

to Thinkdiff
It's in the works but taking time. Word has it they already have the MoCA chip running on a revision or two (at least the OpenWRT folks).
bigpapae35
join:2002-10-25
New York, NY

2 edits

1 recommendation

bigpapae35 to rev I

to rev I
I just got my rev. i as a free replacement of my fried rev. f.

is there a wake on the lan entry that can survive a reboot???

I dont mind telnet into router to write the entry, but ffs why cant this entry survive a reboot.

KCrimson
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

KCrimson

Premium Member

Can we assume correctly that you've read this FAQ, and the last part about adding an old router to help with the inherent problem you've run into?

»Verizon FiOS FAQ »How do I enable Wake On LAN (WOL) with the MI424WR
bigpapae35
join:2002-10-25
New York, NY

1 recommendation

bigpapae35

Yeah, I don't have another router.

Can someone help me set up utorrent settings, if I put a high amount of global max connections like 2000, my wireless ap does not allow any new connections and stalls the ones that are connected , and I have 35/35, and I only allow utorrent to use half my total bandwidth. What is the recommended global max connections for rev I?

I use a netgear 3700 in ap mode, and I have to wait for torrent to finish downloading before wireless clients can connect again to network.

KCrimson
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

KCrimson

Premium Member

IIRC, if you go back in this thread, you'll find several posts regarding the size of the NAT table of the various revisions of the Actiontec. All of the later revisions seemed to supply a large enough space to accommodate many more than 2000 simultaneous connections, and the results were obtained by DSLR users doing real-life testing. Perhaps the problem is unrelated to the NAT table, but it is the most likely candidate.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

1 recommendation

More Fiber

MVM

said by KCrimson:

All of the later revisions seemed to supply a large enough space to accommodate many more than 2000 simultaneous connections

The gen1 routers (A-D) were about 7500 connections.
The gen2 routers (E-F) were about 30,000 connections.
The gen3 routers (G,I) support 200,000+ connections.
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »What is the NAT Table problem in the Actiontec?