share rss forum feed

KCrimson
Premium
join:2001-02-25
Brooklyn, NY
kudos:1
reply to Smith6612

Re: Actiontec MI424WR FIOS N Router REV. I

I apologize in advance for the temporary thread hijack, but I'm curious about DD-WRT running on the Actiontec. Can it run as the primary router identically to the OF, or do you lose features (guide data and CID being the most likely)?

tnsprin

join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Jackarino

In their announcent
»www22.verizon.com/Support/Reside···8742.htm
they say they will support rev e and above of the MI424WR.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to KCrimson

said by KCrimson:

I apologize in advance for the temporary thread hijack, but I'm curious about DD-WRT running on the Actiontec. Can it run as the primary router identically to the OF, or do you lose features (guide data and CID being the most likely)?

The MoCA chip is not supported under dd-wrt, so you'll definitely lose guide data, CID on TV, remote management, and VOD.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

said by Thinkdiff:

said by KCrimson:

The MoCA chip is not supported under dd-wrt, so you'll definitely lose guide data, CID on TV, remote management, and VOD.

I wouldnt hold out for MOCA support either within dd-wrt anytime soon, otherwise I imagine a fair number of us would flash over pretty quick. Not all versions are supported which further complicates it.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
reply to Thinkdiff

It's in the works but taking time. Word has it they already have the MoCA chip running on a revision or two (at least the OpenWRT folks).

bigpapae35

join:2002-10-25
united state

2 edits
reply to rev I

I just got my rev. i as a free replacement of my fried rev. f.

is there a wake on the lan entry that can survive a reboot???

I dont mind telnet into router to write the entry, but ffs why cant this entry survive a reboot.

KCrimson
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

Can we assume correctly that you've read this FAQ, and the last part about adding an old router to help with the inherent problem you've run into?

»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »How do I enable Wake On LAN (WOL) with the MI424WR

bigpapae35

united state
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·Verizon FiOS
·Verizon Online DSL
·VoicePulse

Yeah, I don't have another router.

Can someone help me set up utorrent settings, if I put a high amount of global max connections like 2000, my wireless ap does not allow any new connections and stalls the ones that are connected , and I have 35/35, and I only allow utorrent to use half my total bandwidth. What is the recommended global max connections for rev I?

I use a netgear 3700 in ap mode, and I have to wait for torrent to finish downloading before wireless clients can connect again to network.

KCrimson
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

IIRC, if you go back in this thread, you'll find several posts regarding the size of the NAT table of the various revisions of the Actiontec. All of the later revisions seemed to supply a large enough space to accommodate many more than 2000 simultaneous connections, and the results were obtained by DSLR users doing real-life testing. Perhaps the problem is unrelated to the NAT table, but it is the most likely candidate.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29

said by KCrimson:

All of the later revisions seemed to supply a large enough space to accommodate many more than 2000 simultaneous connections

The gen1 routers (A-D) were about 7500 connections.
The gen2 routers (E-F) were about 30,000 connections.
The gen3 routers (G,I) support 200,000+ connections.
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What is the NAT Table problem in the Actiontec?
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

bigpapae35

united state
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·Verizon FiOS
·Verizon Online DSL
·VoicePulse

I figured out my issues with utorrent, for some reason using uTP setting in utorrent would crash the router even though I was not anywhere near the amount of max connections for NAT table.

I adjusted bt.transp_disposition in advanced settings in utorrent from 31 to 21. This basically disables torrent over udp, and uses tcp instead for the transfer. This fixed all my issues with my verizon fios service.

Setting bt.transp_disposition to 21 - means that it will connect to peers using TCP. More stable and better connection. By default uT uses TCP + UDP, but I feel it is very unstable.

I am not sure if this uTP causes conflicts with verizons service or its actiontec routers, because I have had this dilemma from rev e, f, and i.

louisausten

join:2012-03-01
reply to rev I

hi i have verizon fios and i would like to know if this router Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I works with my connection i have an MIR ( something) Rev. D or E.
And i would like to know to if this virsion is the newst one.

Thnak You

KCrimson
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

Yes, it will work with your connection as a replacement for all of the previous revisions of the Actiontec FiOS routers. The Rev. I is the newest of the Actiontec MIR424WR routers. Whether you NEED the revision would require knowledge of your needs, expectations and current connections.

louisausten

i need to upgrade to wireless N. Need stronger signal and what i read about my router is that it sucks. lol

shof515

join:2008-06-15
Ridgewood, NY

1 recommendation

reply to rev I

does this new rev support ipv6?

KCrimson
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit
reply to louisausten

I have the Rev. I, but the 802.11N wireless it provides is NOT reason-enough to convince most that its worth the hassle of replacing your existing router. Its not a dual band N, ie - it sticks all B, G and N traffic on the same 2.4 Ghz channels that you've been using. Others can tell you the maximum throughput it can provide wirelessly - I'm sure it will suffice for the 75 mbps Quantum tier, much more than that, maybe not. As for wireless coverage in your home, you're best off with additional hotspots if you have weak coverage. Doing a LAN-LAN connection to an EXTRA dual-band router (any brand) is what MANY (including myself, and I HAVE a Rev I as my primary router) are using. The Rev. I WILL allow you to wire all of your Ethernet around its Gigabit switching ports - THAT is much better than the earlier versions, and the NAT Table shouldn't overfill when torrenting and such as much as the earlier routers did for those that routinely connected to THOUSANDS of simultaneous servers or clients simultaneously. Other than those points, if you understand them, the routers will still function identically for most users.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29
reply to shof515

said by shof515:

does this new rev support ipv6?

No.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

louisausten

reply to KCrimson

I bought recently Buffalo AirStation™ AC1300 / N900 Gigabit Dual Band Wireless Router but i cant get it work LAN-LAN. I MAde it once but the signal was the same.
I usually use torrent so thats good for me i guess.

KCrimson
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

Have you read this part of the forum's FAQ's? (linked)

TreeTops

join:2008-11-23

Re: Actiontec MI424WR FIOS N Router REV. I - LOGIN FAILED

I was unable to login to my Mi424wr Rev I. I tried wired and wirelessly with various browsers, under various OS's but always got the login failed msg. I was using the admin/XXXXXX printed on the router. I reset at least 10 times and a verizon tech did a remote reset also. They ended up sending me a new router to solve this (24 hour turn around Amazing!!) I am totally impressed with Verizon support.

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium
join:2002-08-09
Forest Hills, NY
reply to rev I

Re: Actiontec MI424WR FIOS N Router REV. I

did anyone do an iperf bench between WAN and LAN with the -d option?

Kyuubi

@verizon.net
reply to rev I

I think I currently have a Rev. D model. Any benefit to upgrading to a Rev I. or a waste of money? Or rather it would be worth upgrading if.... [fill in blank].

I mean is it faster? More energy efficient?

Already have an N router so I'm good on that front.

Thanks!

TreeTops

join:2008-11-23

1 edit

I just got a new Rev I router, and am trying to figure out if it is new or refurb. There is a big white sticker with ESSID, WPA2 KEY etc in black letters, it was sealed in a bag, WPA2 is enabled and the firewall is set to Typical (all out of the box), It looks brand new (no scratches) , I really appreciate the response Dream Killer, Kudos to you

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium
join:2002-08-09
Forest Hills, NY

said by TreeTops:

I just got a new Rev I router, and am trying to figure out if it is new or refurb. There is a big white sticker with ESSID, WPA2 KEY etc in black letters, it was sealed in a bag, WPA2 is enabled and the firewall is set to Typical (all out of the box), It looks brand new (no scratches) , TIA Joe

i would wager it's new. verizon routers will always default to a random ssid and wpa2 key indicated on the sticker. it's to make sure people don't simply steal your internet.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to TreeTops

Most at this point would be new

Unless you are replacing and I with and I then it might be a refurb.

shof515

Ridgewood, NY
reply to rev I

i had fios installed recently and i got a rev F

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ

For what speed ?

shof515

Ridgewood, NY
reply to rev I

my plan is suppose to 15mbps download and like 5mbps upload. When i run the speedtest, my actual speed is 25mbps and 5mbps upload

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ

For 15/5 the Rev F is sufficient enough

Libra
Premium
join:2003-08-06
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Dream Killer

said by Dream Killer:

i would wager it's new. verizon routers will always default to a random ssid and wpa2 key indicated on the sticker. it's to make sure people don't simply steal your internet.

Did I do something wrong? I changed the SSID and WPA2 key to something I can remember. The new key has symbols and letters (12 characters). They recommend 16.