join:2002-08-09
Forest Hills, NY

Dream Killer to Libra

Premium Member

to Libra

Re: Actiontec MI424WR FIOS N Router REV. I

said by Libra:

said by Dream Killer:

i would wager it's new. verizon routers will always default to a random ssid and wpa2 key indicated on the sticker. it's to make sure people don't simply steal your internet.

Did I do something wrong? I changed the SSID and WPA2 key to something I can remember. The new key has symbols and letters (12 characters). They recommend 16.

no. keys that incorporate letters (upper and lower case), numbers, and symbols will be very hard to crack. just make sure the encryption setting is on WPA2-AES only and not TKIP+AES or TKIP.

i only use the minimum eight characters for my key. no one goes around hacking people's wifi.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

said by Dream Killer:

just make sure the encryption setting is on WPA2-AES only and not TKIP+AES or TKIP.

Unless you have a device that can't handle AES only. In which case TKIP is better than WEP only.
tnsprin
join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL

1 edit

tnsprin to Dream Killer

to Dream Killer
said by Dream Killer:

said by Libra:

said by Dream Killer:

i would wager it's new. verizon routers will always default to a random ssid and wpa2 key indicated on the sticker. it's to make sure people don't simply steal your internet.

Did I do something wrong? I changed the SSID and WPA2 key to something I can remember. The new key has symbols and letters (12 characters). They recommend 16. If you have something like excel, their are simple random generators for a nice random passphrase. And I know its a pain but consider it every 6 months to a year.

no. keys that incorporate letters (upper and lower case), numbers, and symbols will be very hard to crack. just make sure the encryption setting is on WPA2-AES only and not TKIP+AES or TKIP.

i only use the minimum eight characters for my key. no one goes around hacking people's wifi.

Want to bet. How about a million dollars. All right I won't take your many as some people are out there doing it. suggest 16-24 minimum as mentioned. Preferably not rememberable which suggests guessable.

Technically these are not keys. The keys are 64 hex characters. What you usually are entering our passphrases. (1-63 "printable" ascii characters)
Libra
Premium Member
join:2003-08-06
USA

1 recommendation

Libra to Dream Killer

Premium Member

to Dream Killer
Thank you very much. It is definitely set to WPA-2.

Sincerely, Libra
TreeTops3
join:2008-11-23

TreeTops3

Thanks to all for the very informative thread! Is there any easy way to determine If I am using AES encryption? I have logged into the router and I know I am using WPA-2. If I look at my connection in the Network Connection dialog in ubuntu 12.04 I had to use the WPA2 Key to set it up but there is no indication of encryption method. Thanks, J

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by TreeTops3:

Is there any easy way to determine If I am using AES encryption?

Click on the Wireless settings icon
Select Advanced Security Settings from the left menu
Select the WPA2 radio button
The WPA2 page should appear.
On the third line you should see Encryption Algorithm with a pull down. The pulldown has TKIP+AES and AES options.

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY

1 edit

1 recommendation

Dream Killer to tnsprin

Premium Member

to tnsprin
said by tnsprin:

Want to bet. How about a million dollars. All right I won't take your many as some people are out there doing it. suggest 16-24 minimum as mentioned. Preferably not rememberable which suggests guessable.

Technically these are not keys. The keys are 64 hex characters. What you usually are entering our passphrases. (1-63 "printable" ascii characters)

i'm not important enough to have computing resources dedicated in attacking my wpa2 key.
TreeTops3

TreeTops3

Thanks a lot More Fiber, I see I have AES, don't know how I missed that. I recently set the firewall to Max Security and have not been able to login. (it said 404 not found) Is that the way this router works? I did a reset, the security went back to Medium (Typical) and now I can login.
~~~ Dream killer you must not have any members of Anonymous living close by LOL

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY

Dream Killer

Premium Member

Leave the firewall at Medium. If you set it to Maximum, every type of traffic will need to be explicitly allowed. This wont fit into most networks because a large portion of outbound traffic is a random high port.
TreeTops3

TreeTops3

^^^^ Thanks again Dream Killer, I also found out if you disable JAVA script in FireFox 15 (Ubuntu 12.04) you will not be able to login to the router , you will see 404 not found message.
Sorry to ask so much but I have a new teenage neighbor that is very good with computers/networks and spends all his spare time in his room on the computer.
tnsprin
Bradenton, FL

tnsprin to Dream Killer

to Dream Killer
said by Dream Killer:

i'm not important enough to have computing resources dedicated in attacking my wpa2 key.

That will not stop those who are trying from doing so. Some literally drive around looking for any systems to crack. Hopefully you don't have anything important on your system when they break in. Good news your neighbor's system has only WEP security so they broke into in 20 seconds and are emptying his accounts instead of yours.

Yankees2012
@myvzw.com

Yankees2012

Anon

The range on the RevI isn't the greatest....is it possible to upgrade the 2 dbi antennas to something like 2 7dbi antennas for better range and coverage?

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

It is possible. Some folks to get better range out of it have been swapping out the Rev. I's antennas with antennas from previous revisions and it's given a good boost.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra to rev I

Premium Member

to rev I
I went into the router to double-check that I had the AES selected. I went into Wireless Settings on top and saw the SSID and WPA-2 listed along with the password I selected, but the AES or other letters weren't visible. I clicked on another advanced button (not the one on the left side) and got a warning - I went in anyway and didn't understand any of it. I ended up logging out.

I'm of the impression to see that AES I would have to put my settings in again.

I logged back in and clicked on Firewall on top. The box I was in didn't show me anything. I think there was a "main" to click on and, again, advanced. I clicked on advanced and got a warning and opted out of continuing. I just wanted to check that my firewall is on medium.

Sincerely, Libra
TreeTops3

1 edit

TreeTops3

Libra For AES did you follow »Re: Actiontec MI424WR FIOS N Router REV. I posted by More Fiber? (AES was enabled by default on mine)
For Firewall, if the warning says "Any changes made in this section may affect your router's performance and configuration" that is normal, Press Yes to proceed and you will see General and the 3 Firewall options.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

Thank you maleyj. I can't go into the router now, but I will check it out later. That was the warning I saw in the firewall (that scared me off).

Sincerely, Libra

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY

Dream Killer to Libra

Premium Member

to Libra
said by Libra:

I went into the router to double-check that I had the AES selected. I went into Wireless Settings on top and saw the SSID and WPA-2 listed along with the password I selected, but the AES or other letters weren't visible. I clicked on another advanced button (not the one on the left side) and got a warning - I went in anyway and didn't understand any of it. I ended up logging out.

I'm of the impression to see that AES I would have to put my settings in again.

I logged back in and clicked on Firewall on top. The box I was in didn't show me anything. I think there was a "main" to click on and, again, advanced. I clicked on advanced and got a warning and opted out of continuing. I just wanted to check that my firewall is on medium.

Sincerely, Libra

Assuming you are on the router's home page, click on Wireless Settings at the top. On the left pane, click on "Advanced Security Settings".

The part that get most people is clicking the radio button:

You then get this page:

Libra
Premium Member
USA

1 recommendation

Libra

Premium Member

Thank you for the screenshots Dream Killer. I followed maleyj's instructions before coming here and I was able to see the AES and also that the firewall is set to medium. So I'm good to go

Sincerely, Libra
tnsprin
Bradenton, FL

tnsprin to Dream Killer

to Dream Killer
Dream Killer,
Hopefully thats not your preshared key you showed us.

jfree
@verizon.net

jfree to KCrimson

Anon

to KCrimson
I just got the REV. I actiontec. I had a much older verison previously and had a net gear N600 WNDR3800 hook up to it as an Access Point -- had wireless turned off on the Actiontec. So far the new REV. I router is working fine and wireless range seems to be good. The REV I is located in my attic above our bedrooms (2 floor house with attic). My main computer on 1st floor is wired ehternet. My question is can I use my Netgear (which I have not yet reconnected) to better extend my wireless network on our first floor (as a hotspot??). If so, how do I keep the two wireless signals from interfering? Would I only use the 5G wireless on the Netgear? Any instructions welcome.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by jfree :

My question is can I use my Netgear (which I have not yet reconnected) to better extend my wireless network

Yes.
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »Can I use my wireless or an extra router along with the Verizon provided router?

Here's the trade-off though.
If you set the two routers to different channels, you'll avoid their interferring with each other. This will give you the best coverage.

If you set the Netgear to N-only or 5Ghz only, you'll get the best wireless-N speeds, but you'll sacrifice coverage and support for any G only devices.
louisausten
join:2012-03-01

louisausten to rev I

to rev I
Ok i just received mine REV I Actiontec. When i plugged in i cant have internet access. Do i have to contact verizon to let them know that now iam a owner of an REV I ???
TreeTops3

1 edit

TreeTops3

louisausten, If you already had FIOS internet access (as I did) I was told to unplug my old router, wait 24 hours for the "lease to expire" and plug in the new one. This worked fine for me.
There are some suggestions from the experts at DSL Reports »Verizon FiOS FAQ »How do I release my DHCP lease? Why would I need to?

jfree
@verizon.net

jfree to More Fiber

Anon

to More Fiber
Thanks for the response. The FAQ link you provided is how I had the Netgear setup previously. I also saw a Netgear article that suggests keeping the SSIDs (and security settings) the same on both.

thanks again
Springbok
join:2002-09-13
Leander, TX

Springbok to rev I

to rev I
Does anyone have a link to the shipping Rev I firmware? I believe its 40.19.22.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

All Firmware is automatically updated to the latest.

danclan
join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

danclan

said by WK2:

only if you have it set to its off by default otherwise.

There is an older version 40.19.20 should you wish to install it but I believe all rev N ship with 19.22.
Springbok
join:2002-09-13
Leander, TX

Springbok

said by danclan:

said by WK2:

only if you have it set to its off by default otherwise.

There is an older version 40.19.20 should you wish to install it but I believe all rev N ship with 19.22.

Like an idiot I thought the upgrade link would download the latest, but it downloaded version 19.20. Now I cant get back to version 19.22 (the restore option did not work). That is why I would appreciate either a link or the actual file.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

You router will be updated to .22 in the next few hours. Posting firmware files is not allowed here.

KCrimson
Premium Member
join:2001-02-25
Brooklyn, NY

KCrimson

Premium Member

NYCDave - IIRC, I never changed the Rev. I's firmware upgrade option - its set to its default (do NOT automatically check for upgrade). Do you suggest we leave it that way? Do you know of any work being done towards upgrading past the .22 version?