uniqs
share rss forum feed

claibourne

join:2011-07-04
Garland, TX
reply to Jackarino

Re: Actiontec MI424WR FIOS N Router REV. I

wally2babes raised the price!

I wouldn't pay that much for one, but if the installer for my coax drop has one Wednesday, I'll see if I can trade him an old Westell.

claibourne

Garland, TX
reply to Zero

My Westell C says about 162,000 in the web UI, but that's with only one client connected, and no WAN connection active.

I don't know that I'm going to be able to test that high from a single client. But with 3 kids in college, still living at home, with a laptop each, plus my stuff, I'm thinking I can probably get there from multiple clients simultaneously. But I've never tried the smallnetbuilder test to one server with several clients. Anyways, I'll let you know what happens in the next couple of days.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Optimum Online
·ooma
·DIRECTV
reply to rev I

RevI spotted

»www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2012-ACTION···99wt_310

Zero

join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA
reply to claibourne

I've got a Westell 9100EM Rev A, B, & C and all 3 report their approx max connections from ~150,000-155,000 in the web UI.

I havn't run any tests to see if that limit is accurate, so it'll be interesting to see what's reported from testing it.

claibourne

Garland, TX
reply to More Fiber

Thanks.

With the Westell Rev C, I got up to 45,603 before the XP laptop crapped out with a winsock error. I may hack around with this, and/or try from different client OSes, but not today.

Interestingly, on the Westell, "firewall dump -ps" does not report a maximum connection quota. Instead, it says the "minimum quota is 1000, connections will be created above the quota if XXXXX memory is available" (I didn't jot down the exact number).

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29

1 recommendation

reply to claibourne

said by claibourne:

I'd suggest updating the numbers in the FAQ.

I updated the FAQ for the rev. E to show 30,000.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

claibourne

Garland, TX

1 edit
reply to claibourne

I just re-ran the smallnetbuilder max connections test on a Rev E and Rev F, both running the most recent VZ firmware (20.19.8).

On both routers, the results match the "firewall dump -ps" output exactly, i.e., 29999 max connections (30000-1 as reported by the router itself).

I'd suggest updating the numbers in the FAQ. I can provide screenshots of the results if desired.

I'm going to test a Westell Rev B and C later today.

Edit:

If anyone's interested, here's the methodology I used for the Actiontec tests:

1) Reset the router to factory defaults
2) Attach Windows XP Pro laptop to Actiontec LAN port, obtain address via DHCP
3) Configure Actiontec WAN to a static IP
4) Configure Windows 7 Ultimate PC with a static address in the same subnet as the Actiontec WAN
5) Connect Windows 7 PC to Actiontec WAN port
6) Start smallnetbuilder "server" with appropriate options on the Win 7 PC
7) Start "client" on Win XP laptop with appropriate options
8) Sit back, watch, wait for it to crap out, record the numbers

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
reply to rev I

Anyone who has the rev I, How good is the range?

shawnc221

join:2011-12-31
Chino, CA
reply to rev I

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried switching to N-mode only, but for some reason my laptop has trouble connecting to the router when it's on that mode even though it has a N-capable wireless card. My iphone connects to it fine though and it's testing at 20/25 on n-mode only but that's not really good indication I'm guessing.

rhdcheme

join:2006-11-18
Lorton, VA
reply to tedhersh3

Thanks! I wonder if FIOS purposely limited the channel width to 20 MHz to minimize neighborhood interference so that calls to support from people complaining about wireless connections would be avoided.

tedhersh3

join:2000-03-20
Dundalk, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to rhdcheme

3.1 Overview
The FiOS Router provides the user with wireless connectivity over the 802.11b,
g, and n standards (the most common wireless standards). 802.11b has a
maximum data rate of 11 Mbps, 802.11g has a maximum data rate of 54 Mbps,
and 802.11n has a maximum data rate of 160 Mbps. All standards operate in the
2.4 GHz range. This was on the cd i got with the router. No guest wireless network.

rhdcheme

Lorton, VA
reply to Strangecloud

I don't see why it wouldn't be legit. People are reporting that they are getting Rev I's in new installs. If it is anything like Rev. E, which I have, there should be a firmware update page so that everything works OK with FIOS.

A few months ago, I talked to FIOS tech support about acquiring the Rev G on eBay, and the rep said that it shouldn't be a problem at all, if I could get my hands on it.

rhdcheme

Lorton, VA
reply to tedhersh3

Are you running WPA2/AES wireless security and have you set the channel width to 40 MHz? If not, you won't be able to get the maximum bandwidth of 300 Mbps on wireless.

Also, is there a guest wireless network?

Strangecloud

@verizon.net
reply to More Fiber

If I buy a REV.I off EBAY, will it work with Verizon In-home agent, Fios Coax etc? I was wondering if it's legit.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
reply to tedhersh3

said by tedhersh3:

Found this on the actiontec website.

That page does not identify the version of the router. It may be talking about the rev. G, not the rev. I.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

tedhersh3

join:2000-03-20
Dundalk, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to rev I

Found this on the actiontec website.

claibourne

Garland, TX
reply to More Fiber

said by More Fiber:

The 200K in the FAQ was based on a test by a user.
Here is one post that claimed 300K in the rev. G.
»FIOS TV Central website access with Non AT Router?

The same user had previously posted that it supported 100K entries.

Hmmmm.... I haven't looked through the thread yet to see how he tested this; but now I'm wondering if the "firewall dump -ps" output might be bogus on anything newer than rev F. As I mentioned earlier, I verified it on and E and F with the smallnetbuilder test I referenced, and the results were roughly equivalent.

I'd gladly test but I don't have a G or an I. If the installer happens to have a rev I on the truck when he adds my new coax drop and STB Wednesday morning, I'll give it a shot.

In the meantime, if any of you enterprising G or I owners want to run the test....

Happy New Year!

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
reply to dagwag77

The 200K in the FAQ was based on a test by a user.
Here is one post that claimed 300K in the rev. G.
»FIOS TV Central website access with Non AT Router?

The same user had previously posted that it supported 100K entries.
--

dagwag77
Premium
join:2011-09-05
NY, USA
reply to birdy

said by birdy :

@dagwag77

So even the rev G reports a 30K NAT table size (listed as 200k on here)?

MrKal_El

join:2003-01-19
Franklin Square, NY
reply to shawnc221

said by shawnc221:

just got installed for 35/35 yesterday with a rev I. Wired speeds are great at about 45/45. On wifi however, I'm only getting about 20/20 even after running the optimizer and being right next to the router. Not that it's big deal as 20 is plenty fast already, but I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on why its being slowed down on wifi?

Are you running straight N?
--
Twitter: MrKal_El

birdy

@verizon.net
reply to dagwag77

@dagwag77

So even the rev G reports a 30K NAT table size (listed as 200k on here)?

shawnc221

join:2011-12-31
Chino, CA
reply to rev I

just got installed for 35/35 yesterday with a rev I. Wired speeds are great at about 45/45. On wifi however, I'm only getting about 20/20 even after running the optimizer and being right next to the router. Not that it's big deal as 20 is plenty fast already, but I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on why its being slowed down on wifi?

claibourne

Garland, TX
reply to dagwag77

Thanks, no worries. I have an installer coming out Wed morning to add a coax outlet and an STB and will see what he has on the truck. Here in N TX they've still been deploying Westells on new installs, at least up until fairly recently. I'm interested to see what he says they're deploying now.

dagwag77
Premium
NY, USA
reply to claibourne

said by claibourne:

Wouldn't want to sell me one or the other at a fair price, would you?

Not at the moment, sorry... I'm having some really weird issues with my static ips so the tech swapped my rev G for me and left me an I to play with when (not if) I break the G... (The actiontecs aren't able to assign out the additional statics, the assigned computers don't get internet connectivity, but the IPs work fine if hooked up directly).

claibourne

Garland, TX
reply to dagwag77

said by dagwag77:

Got the same on my rev G with firmware 30.18.5. I still haven't taken my I out of the plastic...

Wouldn't want to sell me one or the other at a fair price, would you?

claibourne

Garland, TX
reply to Smith6612

I've often wondered that myself. The E and F have the same amount of RAM as the Westell, but it supports about 160k. Not sure why the later rev Actiontecs are limited to a significantly smaller number.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
reply to More Fiber

Stupid question, but did anyone ever figure out why the NAT Table is as limited as it is on the Verizon firmware? I almost have a feeling it's nothing more than the amount of available RAM. I'm running an ActionTec MI424WR Rev. D with DD-WRT loaded onto it. The NAT Table is set to 32768 by default, and can be boosted up to 65535 entries due to the amount of free RAM that is available and you can configure expiry times for the entries.

dagwag77
Premium
NY, USA
reply to birdy

Got the same on my rev G with firmware 30.18.5. I still haven't taken my I out of the plastic...

claibourne

Garland, TX
reply to More Fiber

Not sure that's correct; perhaps it changed with a later firmware rev? To verify the "firewall dump -ps" output, I ran the same test smallnetbuilder uses on an E and an F; got close to 32k on both.

»www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/l···vision-3

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
reply to claibourne

said by claibourne:

Thanks, birdy. As Fiosman said, same as the F (and the E as well).

The rev. E was reported as 13,000.
--