to RolteC

Re: Actiontec MI424WR FIOS N Router REV. I

Known issue with parental controls....
rhdcheme
join:2006-11-18
Lorton, VA

rhdcheme to Dream Killer

to Dream Killer
Anyone know how to get this to work when FiOS does not support IPv6? Other brand routers seem to have 6to4 or 6in4 controls but Rev I does not seem to have these on firmware 36.
TreeTops3
join:2008-11-23

TreeTops3

said by rhdcheme:

Anyone know how to get this to work when FiOS does not support IPv6? Other brand routers seem to have 6to4 or 6in4 controls but Rev I does not seem to have these on firmware 36.

If you are trying to connect wtih a windows PC
Here are the steps to disable IPv6; Right click on the network icon and select Open the Network and Sharing Center In the resulting window, select "Change adapter settings". In the Network Connections window, select the "Local Area Connection" for the onboard NIC (or whatever it's called), then "Change settings of this connection" or file>properties.
In the connection property page, uncheck the box for "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)". Close all the windows and reboot your system.
See if you are able to connect then.
(Quoted from »answers.microsoft.com/en ··· 5c746388 )
rhdcheme
join:2006-11-18
Lorton, VA

rhdcheme

Actually, I am able to connect with IPV6 enabled. My question, however, was whether IPV6 can be configured in the 6to4 or 6in4 mode for this router like other routers available today even if your ISP does not support IPv6.

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium Member
join:1999-10-16
Norwalk, CA

rtcy to RolteC

Premium Member

to RolteC
said by RolteC:

I saved the config file and reset the router. Full speeds!

I loaded the config file and back to sub 50Mbit on the download.

I then realized the only change other then a few port forwards that I made, was the addition of a Parental Rule to block specific things from two devices on my network.

As soon as I deleted this rule and ran a speed test, I got my full speeds again.

Anyone else see something like this before?

leave the routerin default, and for 9.00 a year you get a account at OpneDNs.com and you can do the same and a LOT more. it blocks manny sites that are hard to do on your own, all you do is go in the router and set the DNS entries to the open dns entries, then do the same in your home computers (hopefully your kids are not smart enough to override the DNs entries in their computers ) this is one of the best home work enforcement tools in case you have bezerker kids like I do LOL (they know how and do ) but i have a way around that too
RolteC
The Need for Speed
join:2001-05-20
New York, NY

RolteC

Thanks rtcy, I actually already use OpenDNS. Unfortunately, people are setting their own DNS servers.

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium Member
Norwalk, CA

1 recommendation

rtcy

Premium Member

said by RolteC:

Thanks rtcy, I actually already use OpenDNS. Unfortunately, people are setting their own DNS servers.

you mean on computers inside your house/network correct ? cause if you know what ip's they are using you can block them , or just make a list of open public dns servers and see if they complain. and just make sure your edge router is set under connections wan ethernet / or coax whatever you are configured for to only 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222 and when their entries fail on their computers it will drop to whatever the router feeds them and they will never know it

the more server numbers you block at opendns the more control you will have here is a small list

85.88.19.10 (German Xail.net) sehr schnell!
85.88.19.11 (German Xail.net)
87.118.100.175 (German Privacy Foundation e.V.)
94.75.228.28 (German Privacy Foundation e.V.)
62.141.58.13 (German Privacy Foundation e.V.)
85.25.251.254 (German Privacy Foundation e.V.) langsam!
85.214.73.63 (FoeBuD e.V.)
212.82.225.7 (ClaraNet)
212.82.226.212 (ClaraNet)
213.73.91.35 (Chaos Computer Club Berlin)
58.6.115.42 (OpenNIC, Australien)
58.6.115.43 (OpenNIC, Australien)
119.31.230.42 (OpenNIC, Australien)
200.252.98.162 (OpenNIC, Brasilien)
217.79.186.148 (OpenNIC, Deutschland)
82.229.244.191 (OpenNIC, Frankreich)
216.87.84.211 (OpenNIC, USA)
2002:d857:54d2:2:20e:2eff:fe63:d4a9 (OpenNIC, IPv6 USA)
2001:470:1f07:38b::1 (OpenNIC, IPv6 USA)
2001:470:1f10:c6::2 (OpenNIC, IPv6 USA)
66.244.95.20 (OpenNIC, USA)
204.152.184.76 (f.6to4-servers.net, ISC)
2001:4f8:0:2::14 (f.6to4-servers.net, IPv6, ISC)
194.150.168.168 (dns.as250.net; anycast DNS!)
80.237.196.2 (Erdgeist)
194.95.202.198 (UDK Berlin)
88.198.130.211 (Dataflash)
78.46.89.147 (ValiDOM)
129.206.100.126 (URZ Uni Heidelberg)
79.99.234.56 (justnet.ch, Schweiz)
208.67.220.220 (OpenDNS)
208.67.222.222 (OpenDNS)
156.154.70.22 (Comodo Secure DNS)
156.154.71.22 (Comodo Secure DNS)
85.25.149.144 (Freie DNS-Server)
87.106.37.196 (Freie DNS-Server)
8.8.8.8 (Google Public DNS)
8.8.4.4 (Google Public DNS)
88.198.24.111 (jali/CCCHB)

you can google tons of them block em ALL
DmVeE
join:2002-03-13
Jersey City, NJ

DmVeE

Wondering if I can sneak this question in here as it pertains to the REV I.

I already have a Rev I router and recently got hold of another Rev I router. Figured I would do MOCA bridge and then leave the wireless on and set it up as per the instruction in this site. (love the site btw) At first I was ecstatic that the wireless signal in my basement was much stronger now.
Then we did some testing. We needed to stream a video of the basement to the upstairs via Skype and both were connected to the same SSID. After about 10-15 minutes the source computer in the basement with the camera started to stutter and eventually come to a halt. I got to thinking that it would be the wireless as that's how both are connected.
Looked around and saw that check MOCA stats and saw that the Coax Wan stats of the basement revI was around ~75. Now when I hooked it up to the Coax I did not use a splitter as I am trying to eliminate a box where this connection is.
Am I doing something wrong with the settings? Is there another area for me to check?
Should I start a new thread with this question?
TIA!!!!

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

Not clear from your post, which is the secondary router (basement?). The WAN port on the secondary router must be disabled per the instructions in the FAQ. If you've done that and the WAN coax stats you're referring to are for the primary router, then you have a cabling problem.

Assuming the basement router is the secondary router, then it should show "broadband coax down". i.e. no coax WAN stats.
DmVeE
join:2002-03-13
Jersey City, NJ

DmVeE

Yes, the basement is the secondary router. And I double checked and the WAN port is disabled. The stats are in the secondary router Coax Wan stats. Maybe it's just an anomaly and not a real reading as it is disabled?

Hopefully you can help me here a bit more.
I have a primary Actiontec router upstairs for G signal (2.4ghz only) and have an N router attached to it (5ghz only). They have .1 and .2 respectively as their Ip addresses. I also have a printer attached upstairs with an IP of .3. Now when I check the connections of the secondary router from the Main window it shows .2 as connected via Ethernet as well as another .2 connected via Coax. I also show from the secondary router connected via Coax a .1, .2 and .3. Is that how it should be?
Sorry, noob to this Moca bridging stuff.
claibourne
join:2011-07-04
Garland, TX

claibourne to RolteC

to RolteC
Click for full size
said by RolteC:

There's a quick and spiffy way to prevent them from doing exactly that. Just set up a couple rules in the "Advanced Filtering" section of the Firewall setup. First rule allows all traffic to the OpenDNS servers; the second rule blocks all DNS requests from any internal source IP, to any external destination IP. I've been doing this for two years on F, G, and I Actiontecs and haven't seen any pitfalls, performance or otherwise.

lordphong
@verizon.net

lordphong

Anon

Hi all,
I'm on RevI as well but for some reason, I can't find UPnP, multicast, or IGMP options. My HDHomeRun Prime is connected to an ethernet port but none of my wireless devices can use WMC for it. It worked with the previous router but not this new RevI.

I heard people are also having this problem with xbox, tivo, and other devices as well.
claibourne
join:2011-07-04
Garland, TX

claibourne

In the newest Rev I firmware, options to control UPnP and IGMP Proxy have been removed from the "Advanced Settings" page.

I've also noticed that firewall logging no longer works as before. Even with logging enabled for "Remote Administration" attempts, nothing shows up in the logs. You can verify this by going to good old grc.com and running their port scanner to check your router security. Even when running that tool, nothing shows up in the Actiontec's firewall log.

lordphong
@verizon.net

lordphong

Anon

said by claibourne:

In the newest Rev I firmware, options to control UPnP and IGMP Proxy have been removed from the "Advanced Settings" page.

Those settings don't exist in Rev. I. They took out both the UPnP and IGMP settings in firmware 40.19.36.
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

said by lordphong :

said by claibourne:

Those settings don't exist in Rev. I. They took out both the UPnP and IGMP settings in firmware 40.19.36.

Then on the Rev I is there no way to disable IGMP proxy? Just wondering because when it is enabled it makes my Airport Express speakers useless.

lordphong
@verizon.net

lordphong

Anon

said by kes601:

said by lordphong :

said by claibourne:

Then on the Rev I is there no way to disable IGMP proxy? Just wondering because when it is enabled it makes my Airport Express speakers useless.

go to Advanced->Routing and uncheck the IGMP. that just disable the IGMP.
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

Now I'm confused, you just said they removed the settings from Rev I......

I don't have a Rev I right now, but if the settings are gone then I wouldn't want to upgrade.
FlareDust
join:2000-09-09
New York, NY

FlareDust to lordphong

to lordphong
That is not going to work for his purposes of getting the Airport Express speakers to work. IGMP is needed for multicast as I understand, but the IGMP Proxy is blocks multicast from the Airport Express and the HDHomeRun prime (this is the problem I'm experiencing with my router at the moment).

In the latest firmware, 40.19.36, IGMP proxy settings are removed and you can no longer disable IGMP proxy. There are several people who have tried to downgrade the firmware with limited success.

Once a downgrade is completed, Fios will push the new firmware back onto the router. Blocking the port for which the firmware is pushed into the router is not allowed on the actiontec router. The only way to overcome this problem is to disable the internet/remove coax from the router.

If anyone knows of a workaround this would be great, otherwise I'm stuck with a HDHomeRun Prime that can only work over a wired network.
v12v9
join:2008-09-18

1 edit

v12v9 to rev I

to rev I
Guys - I just got the Rev I. It runs firmware 40.19.36.

I see the IPv6 option under Advanced on the router's setting page.
It's disabled.

Could someone please explain why I would want to enable it?
I also noticed that IPv6 has its own firewall setting...

Also, under Network, I don't have the option to Rename the device on most of the devices on my network. Why not?

Thank you in advance.
v12v9

v12v9

Well, in response to the question about IPv6: here is a post on Verizon FiOS's page.

Verizon FiOS is supposed to be making IPv6 avail. 3rd quarter of 2012 for customers with a dynamic IP address first...

Is anyone seeing/ using it?

lordphong
@verizon.net

lordphong to FlareDust

Anon

to FlareDust
You are correct. I did not say you can disable IGMP proxy. I said you can disable IGMP, which is not the same thing. It worked for some people and not all. Most people need the multicast as you have said but it's still worth a try.

bigdaddy
join:2009-11-18

bigdaddy to rev I

to rev I
Click for full size
You mean this page ?

LLStarks
Premium Member
join:2003-12-03
Roslyn, NY

1 recommendation

LLStarks to rev I

Premium Member

to rev I
Rep told me the other day during an ONT reset that IPv6 deployment for residential customers will start in January.
FlareDust
New York, NY

FlareDust to bigdaddy

to bigdaddy
said by bigdaddy:

You mean this page ?

Yes, I don't believe that page exist anymore in firmware version 40.19.36.

bigdaddy

bigdaddy

Click for full size
Yes it does Exist. I have had the new Firmware installed as of 2-3 Week's a go.
bigdaddy

bigdaddy to rev I

to rev I

IGMP Proxy Is Now Restored Again !

Click for full size
Click for full size
Merry Christmas Everyone !

Here is a Christmas Gift for All you Actiontec Rev I and Rev G Owner's.

Use the Following »192.168.1.1/index.cgi?ac ··· age=6059. It restores the IGMP Proxy menu in the Actiontec Rev I and Rev G Routers.

Again Merry Christmas to All and Enjoy !
tnsprin
join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL

1 edit

tnsprin

Hmm. Can't find a way to that page EXCEPT for the jump you mentioned. Does it actually work? Or is it an old page with no code behind it.

Apparently it works Posted it over on Verizon's board mentioned give kudos to Bigdaddy.

bigdaddy

bigdaddy

said by tnsprin:

Hmm. Can't find a way to that page EXCEPT for the jump you mentioned. Does it actually work? Or is it an old page with no code behind it.

Apparently it works Posted it over on Verizon's board mentioned give kudos to Bigdaddy.

Where did you post it ?
FlareDust
New York, NY

FlareDust

Thank you, you are definitely the BIGDADDY!!!

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium Member
Norwalk, CA

rtcy to claibourne

Premium Member

to claibourne

Re: Actiontec MI424WR FIOS N Router REV. I

said by claibourne:

said by RolteC:

There's a quick and spiffy way to prevent them from doing exactly that. Just set up a couple rules in the "Advanced Filtering" section of the Firewall setup. First rule allows all traffic to the OpenDNS servers; the second rule blocks all DNS requests from any internal source IP, to any external destination IP. I've been doing this for two years on F, G, and I Actiontecs and haven't seen any pitfalls, performance or otherwise.

Very clean, merry Christmas and I'm defenetly showing my age and mind I think I tried something like this and failed. I miss my gnatbox firewall that thing let you made rules that always worked without fail. but I have 4 kids 3 of them computer savvy and then some and find a way around the old man.