uniqs
share rss forum feed

MisterBill
Verizon FiOS

join:2002-06-05
Yorktown Heights, NY
reply to rev I

Re: Actiontec MI424WR FIOS N Router REV. I

I just received one of these to replace my older rev E single antenna router. Have not installed it yet but I did plug it in and the wireless signal I'm seeing from a machine in the basement is one bar lower than the rev E. Is this normal? Will the fact that it's N instead of G make up for it, or won't I be able to get the better throughput with the poorer quality signal.

MisterBill
Verizon FiOS

Yorktown Heights, NY
reply to ChrisUK

said by ChrisUK:

I was therefore somewhat surprised when a Verizon van pulled into my driveway at 6:00pm and a technician bought a new router to my door. It was a Rev I. He had installed it and left 10 minutes later. Woo hoo!

Update: I just received an automated phone message saying that my new router has been shipped by UPS, so I'll probably end up with 2!

Did the Verizon guy take the old one back with him? The one you receive via UPS will have a return label for you to send the old router back.

I guess this happened a month ago, so what did happen?

ChrisUK

join:2008-08-28
Falls Church, VA

The Verizon guy took the Rev C away. The one I received via UPS included a note saying it was not necessary to return the old router.

Chris

MisterBill
Verizon FiOS

Yorktown Heights, NY

1 edit

Interesting, I just got a Rev I today and have to send the old one back.

BTW I just checked my firmware and there was an update. Why would Verizon send out a router that did not have the most current firmware on it? It's not like it just came out last week (or month)!

Sadly, it has not fixed my slow upload problem.

MisterBill
Verizon FiOS

Yorktown Heights, NY
reply to rev I

Different question - why wouldn't machines with 802.11n adapters connect at 802.11n? All of my adapters don't have to be 802.11n, do they?

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:23
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

said by MisterBill:

Different question - why wouldn't machines with 802.11n adapters connect at 802.11n? All of my adapters don't have to be 802.11n, do they?

For a few main factors.

1: Any security that is not WPA2 or None
2: Driver for the Wi-Fi card is set to disable Wireless N
3: Access Point is not set up to allow the 802.11n standard to be used
4: Some nasty protocol-related issues occurring causing the speed to drop back.

emkorial

join:2009-11-25
Wilmington, DE

None of that prevents broadcasting at 40Mhz so N devices can connect at 300, does it?

The device itself fully supports it, it says so right on Actiontecs product page, so it seems like an artificial limitation Verizon puts on thier branded version.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:23
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

None of that does, correct. It's either a software limiting issue, or a hardware limiting issue. Many have been saying it's a hardware related issue, but info I've been seeing around states otherwise. Who knows though, until Verizon pushes a firmware upgrade out that allows the use of 40Mhz channels. Likely not until they start offering 5Ghz models.

s80t699

join:2002-10-23
South Hamilton, MA

Sorry if this is already covered but I went back to at least page 27 on this thread looking for this info. I have an old rev C, Actiontec and want to get the N support and GigE features of the rev I. I called my local Fios retail store and they said it would cost me $80 to get that model. I'm a realist but since I spend over $260 a month with a quad play contract with VZ, I figured this should be a swap out. Is this not the case or is everybody who is an existing customer paying for these units?

dpridgen
Premium
join:2004-01-14
Port Washington, NY
kudos:1

I didn't have to pay, all I had to do was upgrade to 75/35 and they shipped me a new router. I had a rev E before which was a swap for an earlier rev which required frequent reboots because it would stop accepting connections (and drop existing connections). Upgrading to 75/35 turned out being cheaper than my month to month contract of 20/5, of course I had to give up Freedom Essentials and go Digital Voice.

Teasip

join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX
reply to rev I

I walked into a store, asked, and they handed me one that a person had just brought in that was a new duplicate router for free.

teammrn

@verizon.net
reply to s80t699

said by s80t699:

Sorry if this is already covered but I went back to at least page 27 on this thread looking for this info. I have an old rev C, Actiontec and want to get the N support and GigE features of the rev I. I called my local Fios retail store and they said it would cost me $80 to get that model. I'm a realist but since I spend over $260 a month with a quad play contract with VZ, I figured this should be a swap out. Is this not the case or is everybody who is an existing customer paying for these units?

Depends on your internet speed, I recently called and told them I needed the dual band model because of performance degradation on N devices when b/g users are on the same network. If your speed is not higher than 30/30 It won't make any difference whether you have the Rev I. Also note that the rev I antennas are only 2dBi the old model has 7dBi.

bushleaguer

join:2007-01-22
Gillette, NJ
reply to rev I

I recently upgraded to 75/25 and would like to upgrade to this router. For anyone who has gotten one of these routers from a store did you have to bring your old router in or can you pick up the new one and do the swap and mail the old one back?

Teasip

join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX

They asked for an old router in return for just handing me the I. I went home and brought back the original D-Link that I was given when service was installed years ago.

smackldog

@verizon.net

I recently upgraded from 25/25 to 50/25 (Speedtest.net reports 58.47/39.11 on a wired connection) and my original router was the Rev. F of the MI424WR (Gen 2, I believe?). Verizon was kind enough to authorize a replacement swap of my router after I had convinced them (truthfully, BTW) that all my wireless devices were all N devices and all my wired devices had gigabit connections, so they sent me a MI424WR-GEN3I.

The router came with FW: 40.20.1.

I noticed the (two) antenna on the rev. I is shorter than the single antenna that was on my rev. I router. Since the router is in the basement (I'm using coax) in a three level house, I can't really relocate it due to cabling issues but if I'm in the middle level of the house, I'm getting fairly ~117 Mbps (Win7).

bushleaguer

join:2007-01-22
Gillette, NJ
reply to Teasip

said by Teasip:

They asked for an old router in return for just handing me the I. I went home and brought back the original D-Link that I was given when service was installed years ago.

Thanks for the info.
I brought my old router with me and I made the exchange. No problems getting it going.....now my N devices will be put to better use and I noticed the increase in speed right away.

Here's what I have a beef with......I had to pay the $79.99 charge and if this was a charge that applied to everybody then that's fine. But you read here that some people had to pay and some didn't (not taking issue with those who didn't pay....good for you). Then while I'm in the store and their charging my card some guy walks in with a DVR under his arm and notices the new router I was getting that they had unboxed to show to me. He leans over my shoulder and says, "I just got FIOS 6 weeks ago and that router is awesome. Much better than the old Netgear one I had with my old service." I'm handed the charge paperwork to sign and afterwards the guy asks why I'm paying for it. I told him what I was told by the staff in the store.....it's an upgrade that comes with a one-time fee. He tells me that he got it for free with his install. I tell him he better check his bill and he says, "nope, the install guy said that Verizon was charging for these sometimes but I got it no charge. Even told me to make sure on my bill that there wasn't a charge and if so then just to call Verizon and tell them I was a new install and they'd take it off."

I have no problem with paying for special equipment. But Verizon is apparently applying this selectively......new install customer gets it free, guy who has had Verizon for years has to dig into his wallet. I pay 240.00 a month to this company and the new guy gets a pass - why? There is no provision that states that this router is free for new customers. I asked the employee at the Verizon store (the guy eventually walked over to another counter) and he said that the guy should have been charged.

kl323

join:2012-07-25

Hey all,

Currently running the Actiontec Rev F. My Wireless Speedtest tops out at 20/25. I am signed up for 50/25 right now.

Once I connect my computer to ethernet, I am able to easily top 50/25. Verizon is sending me a "Gen 3" router. I asked if that meant I'm getting a Rev I? The rep said yes.

Can I assume that I'm getting the rev I? Also... with that revision, would I be able to get the top speed?

Thanks!

RolteC
0h

join:2001-05-20
Fresh Meadows, NY

Even with the Revision F you have, 50/25 is attainable. Faster wifi speeds are only seen on Rev G/I though. But as most people already said, a dedicated wireless access point(even if its a router) will provide much better wireless results then any Actiontec available.

I myself went a step further just the other day. I use an old Cisco 1252N access point with an old IOS that supports channel bonding, so I see around 80-110Mbit/sec wireless. I connected my Actiontec's WAN to my LAN and made my server a router using pfSense. Speeds are much smoother and so it latency. So far, testing proved that it supports almost unlimited NAT translations, a minimum a gigabit or two of WAN to LAN speed and 64-byte packets/sec of almost no limit depending on the CPU used, unlike any other available router that does a fraction of those results at best.

askeptic

join:2013-05-31
reply to rev I

Anyone else having trouble logging in to the management interface of this guy? password doesn't work, and the "password" on the service tag doesn't either. Even after many hard resets. Rev 3 I believe.

EricTheDuke3

join:2009-11-17
reply to rev I

Has anyone here had the problem of only being able to connect at 65.0 Mbps max on the rev. I router?

Springbok

join:2002-09-13
Colleyville, TX
reply to askeptic

said by askeptic:

Anyone else having trouble logging in to the management interface of this guy? password doesn't work, and the "password" on the service tag doesn't either. Even after many hard resets. Rev 3 I believe.

What do you mean by "management interface", just the Admin browser interface? I bought mine from Verizon and it has a sticker on the bottom with passwords for WPA2 and Admin.

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-27
Springfield, VA
reply to askeptic

Let's keep it all in one place »Can not log in to new Verizon Mi424WR Rev I Router

mnazary

join:2013-06-19
Plano, TX
reply to rev I

We recently upgraded to 50/35 from 15/5. The same day we ordered our router died and they sent us the REV I router. My computer in my room which is next to the room with the router isn't getting very good DL speeds. I'm on wireless, getting 25/35. I don't understand how I am able to get max UL speeds but DL is half. I understand with WIFI you won't get the best DL speeds, but if UL is able to do 35, the DL should get close or better than that.

Between the rooms is my bathroom, so there are two walls between my PC and the router. I have an ASUS PCE-N13 with most recent drivers. I am on Window 7 64bit.

Played around with so many settings but has not changed anything. Task Manager says link speed is 72Mbps. I've watch it, it will go from 54 to 72. Never above 72.

iSeeker

@verizon.net
reply to rev I

I have MI424WR Rev I and 50/25 fios speeds in dallas, tx. Wired I can achieve those speeds. Wireless only about 20/20 and it fluctuates going down to 5/5 sometimes, which makes netflix drop its resolution. I've been reading in this posting, and I've tried changing the setting to performance mode (so N only) and it did not help. I've got an iphone 5, ipad 3 that I'm testing with speedtest app. I just checked for FW update for router but it said status was "OK".

Any other settings I can try tweaking?

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to rev I

Click for full size
My speed test with Rev F a couple of minutes ago wireless with my MSI GT725.
--
What we give away today they'll take by force tomorrow - kd74

cchhat01
Dr. Zoidberg

join:2001-05-01
Elmhurst, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·RCN CABLE
·Earthlink Cable ..

1 edit
reply to mnazary

said by mnazary:

We recently upgraded to 50/35 from 15/5. The same day we ordered our router died and they sent us the REV I router. My computer in my room which is next to the room with the router isn't getting very good DL speeds. I'm on wireless, getting 25/35. I don't understand how I am able to get max UL speeds but DL is half. I understand with WIFI you won't get the best DL speeds, but if UL is able to do 35, the DL should get close or better than that.

Between the rooms is my bathroom, so there are two walls between my PC and the router. I have an ASUS PCE-N13 with most recent drivers. I am on Window 7 64bit.

Played around with so many settings but has not changed anything. Task Manager says link speed is 72Mbps. I've watch it, it will go from 54 to 72. Never above 72.

The Verizon Router only does 2.4GHz. Chances are all your neighbors are cramping up 2.4GHz. And IIRC, the FiOS rev I router is NOT good at 2.4Ghz throughput.
My suggestions would be as follows:
1. Buy a decent dual band N router (i.e. Buffalo wzr-hp-ag300h)
2. Buy a decent dual band N wifi card (for you laptop/desktop, i.e. Intel 6235)
And lastly do one of the following:
3A. Run an Ethernet cable from your ONT to your new router and ask Verizon to switch your ONT from MOCA to Ethernet.
OR
3B. Install the router behind your FiOS router (under anything but 192.168.1.1), disable Wifi on FiOS router, enable Wifi on your router.

I use the Buffalo that I mentioned with my ONT in Ethernet mode (removed FiOS router completely) and my pings are much improved (5ms to speedtest.net test servers compared to 15-20ms), and my Wifi speeds are always bang on target with my wired speeds.

Also seems like your wireless card doesn't support 40Mhz bandwidth if your maximum wifi connection negotiates at 72mbps (I constantly connect at 240mbps or higher with my router)

said by iSeeker :

I have MI424WR Rev I and 50/25 fios speeds in dallas, tx. Wired I can achieve those speeds. Wireless only about 20/20 and it fluctuates going down to 5/5 sometimes, which makes netflix drop its resolution. I've been reading in this posting, and I've tried changing the setting to performance mode (so N only) and it did not help. I've got an iphone 5, ipad 3 that I'm testing with speedtest app. I just checked for FW update for router but it said status was "OK".

Any other settings I can try tweaking?

See above.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I run OpenWrt Barrier Breaker (trunk, with lots of add-ons) on the router, which make it run very much stable than the router's default firmware.

cchhat01
--
"Look at me, I'm Dr. Zoidberg, homeowner."

davegod75

@verizon.net
reply to rev I

search doesn't appear to be working for some reason.

Has anyone gotten the USB ports to work on Rev I.?

How about openWRT or ddWRT?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29

said by davegod75 :

search doesn't appear to be working for some reason.

What are you referring to?
said by davegod75 :

Has anyone gotten the USB ports to work on Rev I.?

No (except for charging a cell phone).
said by davegod75 :

How about openWRT or ddWRT?

No.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to rev I

I'm still confused by the whole wireless N issue with these routers because I've come across conflicting documentation from both Actiontec and Verizon themselves regarding the same Rev I router supporting 300Mbps and 130Mbps, and I've even read on DSLReport's website from someone back in January of this year that there is supposed to be a firmware update to bring that 300Mbps wireless speed to the router "very soon", but seven months later and still confusion.
--
I'm always up for a good chat and helping with tech problems.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3

1 edit

New firmware update for this REV. I router available 40.20.7 from »upgrade.actiontec.com/MI424WR-GE···EN3I.rmt