uniqs
gunther_01
Premium Member
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL

gunther_01

Premium Member

White spaces

Guys, the gear they are releasing, and it's usage is for commercial applications. You wouldn't be purchasing this stuff for trivial links for your home or neighbors. We are talking big money to buy it in most cases. Or big enough you wouldn't pay for it.

Also, If I am not mistaken, the gear has integrated channel assignment via a nationwide database. You can't just pick whatever channel you want to use if I understand correctly. The gear does it for you to make sure you don't interfere with a licensed user.

It is not typical WiFi.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by gunther_01:

Also, If I am not mistaken, the gear has integrated channel assignment via a nationwide database. You can't just pick whatever channel you want to use if I understand correctly. The gear does it for you to make sure you don't interfere with a licensed user.

My point is I've seen the data bases and they are off. They fail to list most of the nashville TV channels in my area. Yes they are weak but many people can get them in with some effort. Since they are weak to begin with it wouldn't take much for this device to cause interference if someone uses a TV channel that didn't appear in the database but in fact does exist.
WiWavelength
join:2011-11-16
Lawrence, KS

1 edit

WiWavelength

said by 88615298:

My point is I've seen the data bases and they are off. They fail to list most of the nashville TV channels in my area. Yes they are weak but many people can get them in with some effort. Since they are weak to begin with it wouldn't take much for this device to cause interference if someone uses a TV channel that didn't appear in the database but in fact does exist.

Camden appears to be located outside of most Nashville DT broadcasters' respective noise limited service level contours (28 dB for low VHF, 36 dB for high VHF, 41 dB for UHF). If so, I do not believe that the broadcasters (nor, by extension, the viewers) are entitled to protection from interference because Camden is out of market.

You can view the Nashville DT broadcasters and their service contours at the FCC site:

»transition.fcc.gov/fcc-b ··· =&size=9

AJ
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by WiWavelength:

said by 88615298:

Camden appears to be located outside of most Nashville DT broadcasters' respective noise limited service level contours (28 dB for low VHF, 36 dB for high VHF, 41 dB for UHF). If so, I do not believe that the broadcasters (nor, by extension, the viewers) are entitled to protection from interference because Camden is out of market.

Ummm that's my point Einstein. These devices can make OTA signals completely unwatchable if some moron uses these devices on a TV channel in my area. Thus FORCING people here to have to pay for cable or satellite. The FCC knows this wil happen in many places. They want to kill OTA TV and thus by making it harder to view and forcing people toward pay TV services they can steal spectrum and give it at&t and Verizon. Too bad not too many can see this scam for what it's for.
WiWavelength
join:2011-11-16
Lawrence, KS

WiWavelength

said by 88615298:

Ummm that's my point Einstein. These devices can make OTA signals completely unwatchable if some moron uses these devices on a TV channel in my area. Thus FORCING people here to have to pay for cable or satellite. The FCC knows this wil happen in many places. They want to kill OTA TV and thus by making it harder to view and forcing people toward pay TV services they can steal spectrum and give it at&t and Verizon. Too bad not too many can see this scam for what it's for.

First, lose the pejorative tone, both toward me and the FCC. This is not some grand conspiracy to take away your OTA DTV.

Now, did you read what I wrote in my post? Did you understand the concept of service level contours? Did you view the contour maps from the FCC database that I linked?

Camden is outside of the established service contours for six of the eight Nashville DT stations. If my understanding of FCC broadcasting regulations is correct, then those six DT stations are not entitled to interference protection in Camden because Camden is outside of their licensed markets, respectively. That you may be able to "DX" some Nashville DT channels beyond their service contours is nothing more than serendipity and not entitled to interference protection.

AJ