Search similar:

uniqs

MikeLynch
@rr.com

MikeLynch

Anon

Upgrading to Wireless in Clearwater FL

Hello,
I would like to ask three questions, as I need your advice / feedback if you will. I am a long time TimeWarner then BrightHouse customer. I live in Clearwater. I would like to upgrade from my Ambit U10C020 non Wireless Modem/Router to a Wireless Modem/Router.

To begin, I am old and on Social Security but I can follow instructions. The Clearwater Office suggests I buy a Wireless Router from a Retailer and plug it in to the Ambit. Well, then I have two Boxes instead of one and in the event of a failure, is it the Ambit or the new one!

To have BrightHouse upgrade my Service, it’s a +-$100 Charge and a Box swap. I am also unsure if I will get a Router from them that I want, as they did not know what will show up. I feel I am able to do the Box swap as I can still read instructions.

If you would advise me, the Ubee DDW3611 "MIGHT" be what BrightHouse uses or the Motorola 6850 appears to be a good alternative. Which would you recommend, if you had to buy one?

I do not want to make waves; I just want a reasonable upgrade without remortgaging my home. If I buy a Router, assuming BrightHouse does not use the DDW3611, how do I get to / ask for the correct Department at BrightHouse the first time, to finalize the install from their side?

If BrightHouse uses the DDW3611, how can I convince BrightHouse I am capable of installing it myself?

Best regards and a belated Merry Christmas!

Mike Lynch
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Merry Christmas to you as well. Before I answer your question what do you plan to use the router/network for? What are your internet habits?

MikeLynch
@rr.com

MikeLynch

Anon

I currently have one Computer wired to the BrightHouse Ambit wired Modem/Router. I would like to have three wireless TV's plus my existing wired Computer. I just send email, read news and occasionally read travel forums. If possible, I would like to backup my wired Computer to a wired Network Disk Drive.

Best regards,

Mike Lynch
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to MikeLynch

Premium Member

to MikeLynch
There is no advantage to buying your own modem...there are however numerous advantages to buying your own router. This is one of those things where if you don't want the responsibility of maintaining your own wireless and router control go with the gateway we provide. If on the otherhand you need the control, more advanced features or capabilities then purchase your own GOOD quality router (do not get cheap on a router purchase or you will regret it).