join:2006-03-14
Lexington, KY

Home lab

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Here is some pictures of my home lab
Mainly I use it for work purposes and doing labs to better my knowledge, I have an assortment of all hwic's and wics and other modules, I also just orderd a cisco 7200 router and a 2651xm router along with another 3560 switch. The blue device is a Juniper netscreen 208.

I'm working on getting my ccnp and having a home lab helps a whole lot when trying to trouble shoot issues at work so I can duplicate setups and various configurations.

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
I would skip the 2600's if I were you. You can get a much more feature packed 3725 or 3745 for not much more money. The 2600 is EOL and dosen't support a lot of the newer features and updates that the newer routers have. Which modules did you order with the 7200?

What are all the servers for?

ArcAngel4

Lexington, KY
said by sk1939:

I would skip the 2600's if I were you. You can get a much more feature packed 3725 or 3745 for not much more money. The 2600 is EOL and dosen't support a lot of the newer features and updates that the newer routers have. Which modules did you order with the 7200?

What are all the servers for?

The server's run Freenas for a 8tb file storage array and one server runs FreeBSD for www,sql,dns,mail,tacacs,dhcp

The other one run's windows 2008 64bit for testing purposes

I could not find a decent deal on a 3745 when I ordered some last time, I'll look for them again. For the 7200 i mainly got the vpn acceleration module, along with a gigabit proccessing module and a couple of fast ethernet modules.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
I saw them (3745's) on ebay for about $150 last month. The VXR's are nice, solid pieces of equipment, although I have to say that since they've been end of life since the early 2000's I would have invested in an ASR instead.

You know that for your servers you can virtualize much of that with Hyper-V, Citrix, or ESXi right? It would cut down on the amount of hardware in use. What are the specs on those servers?

ArcAngel4

Lexington, KY
Specs, 8 gigs of ram each, intel xeon x3470 2.93ghz each
Not really worked with virtualization that much I have been interested in it but not got a good way to start on it.

yeah the vxr's are nice i got one for free tho so couldn't complain to much. I seen a couple of asr 7401's for around 300 the other day on ebay.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

Older series Xeons (1156), but not bad chips. Beefy enough boxes for most anything you would want to run on there as a test base I would say. The best way to start would be to download and install Hyper-V which can run inside of 2008 Server. Why rackables?

Well that would make a difference.

ArcAngel4

Lexington, KY
reply to ArcAngel4
I got the rackables cheap and changed the hardware out to what I wanted, I'll download hyper-v tomorrow and give it a try.

Zorack

join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV
reply to ArcAngel4
Nice pic of that rack

ArcAngel4

Lexington, KY
said by Zorack:

Nice pic of that rack

Thank's I powererd down two of the servers and moved to Virtualzation using HyperV.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
I see you managed to get it working; how is it working for you?

ArcAngel4

Lexington, KY
said by sk1939:

I see you managed to get it working; how is it working for you?

Works very good, did not take long to install it and configure everything, dropped power consumption which was good, Thanks for the ideal.

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
reply to sk1939
said by sk1939:

The VXR's are nice, solid pieces of equipment, although I have to say that since they've been end of life since the early 2000's

What?

They were only EOL'd mid-late last year, are still available to buy until mid-late this year, and Cisco wont stop caring about them until mid-late 2017.

»www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collate···414.html

Maybe you're thinking of the original non-VXR models/components?

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
reply to ArcAngel4
said by ArcAngel4:

I seen a couple of asr 7401's for around 300 the other day on ebay.

7401's are pretty horrible boxes. I personally would go for a 7301 instead.

One example, there are two onboard "gig" ports, which are gig when using the GBIC slot, but only 10/100 when using copper. Copper GBIC are not supported.

That and the chipset used in them is apparently pretty crummy.

The ISP I worked for in Australia was happy when they finally managed to rid their network of them.

Mind you they still work, it just depends what you want to do with them. I used a couple of hand-me-downs in my portion of the network and they worked just fine. I was doing PPPoE/LAC/L2TP, and MPLS with them.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
reply to TomS_
I could have sworn that some of the supervisor modules were EOL.

Apparently only the 7200-NPE300 and down, and 7200-NSE-1 are EOL.

lestat99

join:2000-08-04
Piscataway, NJ
reply to ArcAngel4
Your electrical feed going down the wall is not to code. It has to be tacked to a strip of wood nailed to the wall or be in a conduit. Just saying...