spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Blunt3174
join:2011-12-26
Indianapolis, IN

Blunt3174

[Internet] Indiana - multiple xbox 360s, Nat, ports and more ?'s

Ok, I'll try and give u the short version of this very long story. I have roadrunner turbo and me and my son both have Xbox 360's. We both enjoy the same games and playing online with the same groups of people. Only one Xbox will have open Nat and the other on moderate at a time. Who ever turns their Xbox on first gets the open Nat. I am currently doing the whole port triggering right now. As far as I understand, its because of ports and you can have it forward, triggered or DMZed and u can only have one port open/going or whatever one at a time. I have tried everything and heard it all until today. I heard that you can get a second IP and this would give u another port. Is this possible? Thanks.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Re: [Internet] Indiana - multiple xbox 360s, Nat, ports and more

Yes you can get a second IP but before we go too far into this tell me about your network.
Blunt3174
Indianapolis, IN

Blunt3174

Pretty basic network.
Modem - router - wired to 1 pc and 1 wired Xbox and 2 wireless pc's, 1 wireless Xbox and various small wifi connections (ie phones, ipods, tv, etc.)

I have my router set to upnp enabled. And my Xbox ports are triggered.

I do have a small amount of knowledge of setting up home networks. I have ran access points as well as wireless repeaters. I have none of those set up as of now but do have a 'basic' knowledge.

There are 3 Xbox ports that uses the Xbox live service. I have been told that only one console can connect to these ports at a time and therefore 1 Xbox will always have moderate Nat. They said the cheapest way around this would be to get another IP address and that would allow me to access the ports from 2 different consoles at a time.

Again, just 'basic' knowledge. Lol
Thanks
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Blunt3174

Premium Member

to Blunt3174
Make and model of router...just so I know..
Blunt3174
Indianapolis, IN

Blunt3174

Linksys E3000
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

Premium Member

to Blunt3174
Rather than reinvent the wheel... I point you here ....

»www.techknowlogy.jigsy.c ··· ---wrong
Blunt3174
Indianapolis, IN

Blunt3174

well, i got all excited and after a few hours and trying different things (and a lot of cussing), i am still at the same spot. trying that setup got me moderate NAT on both consoles. tried a ton of setups and the best i can get is the port triggering trick. im thinking of buying a d-link router but thats still a good chunk of change. even if i get another ip address im not sure how to hook that configuration up or what i would need. i would like to go the cheaper route but i will go for what ever route works. i just hate spending money for nothing.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

Premium Member

to Blunt3174
You should be able to do it with the e3000 as well. If you decide to try a gamer router go with the Asus RTN56u over the Dlink DGL4500 hands down. Its cheaper and better performing. You can get off Amazon and that way you have that awesome no hassle return policy if needed.
Blunt3174
Indianapolis, IN

Blunt3174

Well, to be totally honest, I didn't have too much faith in you after the steps for the e3000 didn't work but said 'screw it' and bought a Asus RT-N1256u from 10th street computers for $118. it was pretty close to the amazon price and I could just pick it up, no shipping. Got it home and just plugged it up, no cd install. Just jumped in and changed my network name and password to my old settings. Instantly I noticed my pc had internet. Kinda surprising seeing how I'm a whole 2 minutes from when I plugged it up. I turned on my Xbox and did the NAT test and it was open. Trying not to get my hopes up I tried my sons and his was open! Hell, everything was running like new and all I had done was plug it up and switch my network name and password back to the old settings. I have tested and retested and still everything is open NAT. I love this router and if I knew you I would buy you a drink! Thanks so much!
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

Premium Member

to Blunt3174
LOL.... well I sent you to that link because I thought it might help ya a bit...sorry it rocked your faith in me...but it would appear that my honor has been restored with your satisfaction on the RTN56U. I own one...and pretty much everyone I know owns one. They are little powerhouses not to mention really freakin cool looking (not caught up in looks but the thing is a piece of artwork on your desk). If you need help configuring it let me know...as you can see it's PACKED full of features.