spc
Search similar:

uniqs

nomad327
@verizon.net

nomad327

Anon

verizon dsl doesn't connect to new computer

I have been running a windows xp computer no problems on verizon dsl with wired lan westell 6100 modem. I got a new windows 7 computer which will connect one level into the internet but no further. To say I can see google, search on google, but can't click on the results. The computer vendor sees no problems and verizon says it's not them. heard some chat on web it could be modem firmware, but my version is 4.04.03 which is newer than what the updater offers

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

The 6100 is a combo DSL modem and NAT router, so you should be able to connect as many computers as you want.

»www.westell.com/docs/sup ··· s=Master

The device has a single Ethernet and USB connection. How are you connecting both PCs to the router? Easiest way to connect both is to get a small Ethernet switch. The manual I linked to does not show support for Win7, so USB may be a problem.

Couple of things to check:

1) If the Win 7 box is able to get to Google it sounds like you have a good wired connection. What about other sites?

2) Are you running a third party firewall? If so they can be very aggressive.

3) Does the Win 7 box have Wi-fI? If so make sure it is off.

4) Check network connections or use IPconfig to check the IP address. Should be 192.168.1.x - last octet can be any value from 2 - 254.

nomad327
@verizon.net

nomad327

Anon

I will follow up on your suggestions, but to clarify, I disconnected a windows xp computer that had no problems to install a new computer running windows 7 in it's place. (wired ethernet line to the westell modem) The new computer automatically found my connection, but can only see the internet, not actually perform any functions in the internet. I have to reinstall the old xp computer to browse, and to leave messages here for that matter. There was some question on an unrelated website to this one of the IP address being garbled in some way, and the solution to include upgrading the modem firmware. I am not at all familiar with these things, but with HP and Verizon both telling me it's not them, I have to work out my own solution with what help I am able to seek out on my own! Thanks for trying to help.
nomad327

nomad327

Anon

I did a full restore to factory settings on the windows 7 machine, (format, reload from setup files), which allowed the machine to auto detect the lan signal from scratch. This didn't make any difference. As for reaching other sites, I have typed the full address of a number of sites into the navigation window and the browser (IE-9) will go to that website, it's the same thing, once there, you can see it but there is no interaction with it. There is no third party firewall on the machine and no wi-fi associated with it.

The XP machine has an IP of 192.168.1.46
the new machine has an ip of 192.168.1.47

both machines have a public IP starting with 71.181, the remaining numbers are then different between them

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

Here's something you should try:

Visit »www.google.com/ on the new Windows 7 machine. Does Google load?

Now try searching and clicking on Links. Does the search page and does the link you click on load up or no?

Some people have found that this issue is caused by the modem having outdated firmware. You can try updating the modem's firmware to see if that will make it play nicer with the Windows 7 machine.

tschmidt
MVM
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to nomad327

MVM

to nomad327
said by nomad327 :

The XP machine has an IP of 192.168.1.46
the new machine has an ip of 192.168.1.47

both machines have a public IP starting with 71.181, the remaining numbers are then different between them

This is a little confusing, The private IPs look fine since the LAN is behind a NAT router so the router's DHCP server is passing out private IPs.

That being the case both PCs should have the same public IP, since the purpose of NAT is to allow a single IP to be shared by multiple devices on a LAN.

Are you sure the public IP is different for each PC? In that case I assume you have a commercial account with multiple IPs so there is no need for NAT.

/tom

nomad327
@verizon.net

nomad327

Anon

I had an hour long three way with hewlitt packard support and verizon support today, I have heard the rumors of out of date firmware, but could not find a newer version to apply. In any case, There appears to have been some change to windows 7 in the last couple of months that may be my problem. (I have a 64 bit processor instead of 32 bit, don't know if that would be the difference) Verizon did not want to give in, but the HP support supervisor and the Verizon support supervisor had it out with the word being that there have been a few dozen cases of this in the last couple of months with only the newest machines being a problem. In any case, Verizon gave in and is going to send me a new modem. i offered to send my old one back, and they said don't bother it's too old, so I guess that's the joke in the matter. I will report back if this fixes it, HP says it has been the only solution now in a number of recent cases. Thanks for giving it all consideration, I thought I was going to be on my own with this for a bit.
nomad327

nomad327

Anon

Verizon sent a new modem, one day turnaround. it's a westell 6100g model g90-610015-20 , looks similar to the old one, three lights instead of five. It fixed it right up, works fine now.

tschmidt
MVM
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

said by nomad327 :

It fixed it right up, works fine now.

Glad your problem is resolved but it is a mystery what the router was doing that Win7 didn't like. Would be good data point for this forum since if you were affected it will likely be a fairly common problem.

/tom