uniqs
share rss forum feed

xQim

join:2003-09-20
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Fairpoint Commun..

DirecTv help

So I'm having an issue with directv. I noticed on my last bill that it was $69.84 for the minimum package with two boxes. I was dumbfounded so I called them up and the representative told me that the $34.99 discount I was receiving was only good for the first year. WHAT!?! Are you serious? I never saw that nor did anyone state that to me whatsoever. I'm not paying $70 for TV. Has this happened to anyone else? I don't understand. I got ripped off to begin with as my monthly payment was supposed to be 34.99 but I was getting charged 42.14. I asked why I was not get my 34.99 price and they told me I entered my rebate to late. I did it the same day I got the service! So I deal with it. Now after a year I no longer get my overpriced 42.14 service but get charged $70. Any help or and input would be appreciated.

westdc

join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA
kudos:1
All Offers are First year -That's how comcast-Dish-At&t operate for getting you to switch for a two year commit and then make up the discount on the second year.

The wording is in the agreement you commited to even if you read it or did not care to.

Your only recourse is terminate your service and pay the end fee. Then you will be free to take another reduced offer only to feel cheated latter.

Drex
Beer...The other white meat.
Premium
join:2000-02-24
Not There
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to xQim
What westdc See Profile said.
I signed up for UVerse 11 months ago and I'm switching to DirecTV right now (1 year discount, 2nd year regular price). I don't remember agreeing to a 12 month contract with UVerse, but apparently I did. So now that I've already scheduled everything with DirecTV (installer is here right now), I get to eat the early termination fee. Small price to pay for MUCH MUCH MUCH better HD picture quality.
--
Not only does Jesus save, but he makes nightly off-site backups.

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member

join:2001-12-28
Panama City, FL
reply to xQim
Not another "I didn't read the fine print" thread!?

(Discount valid for one year, after, regular prices apply)

--
Certified Jenius!

Nuckfuts
Premium
join:2003-10-18
Joliet, IL
I was told up front my discount was one year.

gigahurtz
Premium
join:2001-10-20
Palm Coast, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House Net..
reply to xQim
No offense, but it sounds like you didn't read what you were signing up for. DirecTV (while not a perfect company) makes every effort to make it clear that the price is only good for a year and that's it. It's a promotional/intro price. Every company does this. They hope to lure you in with great pricing, then they hope you'll love their product and stick with them.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
reply to xQim
On the DirecTV website, after you pick out your package and equipment options you get to a webpage that summarizes your choices. There is a left/right arrow set at the top of the dataset that moves in 6 month increments and displays the increases in monthly cost as the various promotional discounts expire. As others have pointed out elsewhere, both Dish Network and DirecTV have been through several years of complaints and lawsuits about poorly worded descriptions of short time expiring promotional deals. Today the websites are far clearer describing the time limits and cost increases. Personally I wish they would get rid of these somewhat confusing short term discounts and initial rate cuts. They only charge more on the back end of the contract to make up what they give up on the front end.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
·ooma
·VOIPO
·Verizon Broadban..
reply to xQim
I noticed on my bill yesterday that I was no longer getting a $10 credit for the Free HD for life promo that I signed up under.

Gave DirecTV a call and they couldn't figure out why I didn't get it. The rep agreed that I was under that program. They had to send it up to accounting to figure out what's going on. Should have a $20 credit next month. We'll see.

Nuckfuts
Premium
Joliet, IL
If you were on autopay there should of never been an issue.

ke4pym
Premium
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
·ooma
·VOIPO
·Verizon Broadban..
said by Nuckfuts:

That's what the lady at Dtv said, too. And yet, there was an issue since I'm on autopay, and have been, since day one. Also, the package level I have also qualifies me for HD free for life. So, there is a double whammy.

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
kudos:4
reply to xQim
Yeah this is a "didn't read the smallprint" issue. I have DirecTV, but knew before I signed up - because I bothered to read the contract - that the promotional pricing was only for the first year.

And yes, pretty much all cable/satellite/iptv companies do the same. They have a period of promotional pricing, and then their regular pricing kicks in.

I don't want to sound like I am insulting you, but on all ads I ever saw, the small print at the bottom of the ad explains it is promotional pricing. I actually don't know of anyone that didn't know this, and doesn't read the small print on these ads when considering service.

I can't help you.... but I can give you input: Pay the regular pricing, or cancel and go OTA antenna only.
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

jpsmith

join:1999-09-04
Newberg, OR
reply to ke4pym
said by ke4pym:

said by Nuckfuts:

That's what the lady at Dtv said, too. And yet, there was an issue since I'm on autopay, and have been, since day one. Also, the package level I have also qualifies me for HD free for life. So, there is a double whammy.

I am on autopay, but changed my package and they said you have to stay on the package that you signed up for to keep the free HD. They gave me $10/month credit for a year as long as I stay with a qualified plan. I was under the impression that is was free HD for life with autopay, but it is also as long as you don't change anything.

Nuckfuts
Premium
Joliet, IL
Huh? That is dumb. The bottom line they throw at you is autopay for free HD so it should not matter what TV package you have/choose/switch to. That is one fine print I never saw. Sorry, I find that just dumb on D* part.

ke4pym
Premium
Charlotte, NC
reply to jpsmith
Yeah, I haven't changed my package at all.

Aside from adding receivers, nothing about my account has changed in 14 months.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
reply to xQim
said by xQim:

I got ripped off to begin with as my monthly payment was supposed to be 34.99 but I was getting charged 42.14.

Obviously you are among the ones that never reads fine print and blindly signs contracts.

Much of that extra was likely taxes which in many areas can be like 15%, blame your cable lobbiests and legislator/local governments for that.
--

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
reply to jpsmith
said by jpsmith:

I was under the impression that is was free HD for life with autopay, but it is also as long as you don't change anything.

Oh you could upgrade with no problem but downgrading always comes at a cost (even after contract... though then only like $5)

But yes while contract is in effect you are bound by what you signed up for. You downgraded after contract, the HD for life likely would not be an issue.
--

unknvoip
RIP goose
Premium
join:2006-07-25
Rochester, NY
reply to xQim
My deal was quite clearly a heavily discounted first year and slightly discounted second year. I can hardly believe the information was not available for you based on what I was presented with.