Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

[WIN7] Open Icon in Windows Explorer not showing proper icon

Click for full size
Open Icon shows the
Click for full size
Open Icon does not show the icon of the EXE
Hello,

First, I just rebuilt my system yesterday, and what I am wondering is if something went wrong with the install or I got some kind of virus on my system.

However, before I start down that road, and maybe even re-do my system again, I wanted to check to see if this is actually a default behavior of Windows 7.

I'm running Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit. As you can see in the first picture, I have selected a Word document to open. At the top there is an Icon that says "Open", and to the left of the words open is the icon for Microsoft Word. This is indicated by the red arrow. If I select other documents, the proper icon shows up. Text documents will display the icon for notepad, pdf's will display the icon for Adobe Reader, etc.

However, if I select an EXE (in fact, this is the case with ANY EXE on my hard drive), it does not show the icon of the EXE up there. This is shown in the 2nd picture, indicated by the red arrow.

The icon that shows up is the standard "broken" icon, showing that either no icon is assigned, or in the case of a shortcut, the shortcut is "broken" (target does not exist).

So, my question is, is the fact that the exe's icon does not show up when you select it the "default" behavior of Windows 7, or is the icon suppose to show up? If it is suppose to show up, then I'll take the needed steps to scan for malware, viruses, and maybe even re-build my system again. Rebuilding is not that big of a deal, as I do still have everything backed up. But, before I go down that road, I wanted to confirm the functionally first. No point rebuilding if that is how it is suppose to work.

If anyone needs more information, let me know and I'll provide it.

Thanks in advance,

--Brian

--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits

It's not only the "default", but as far as I know it's the only behaviour.

Icons come from two places.

1) By association with the extension: e.g. there's one for .pdf, one for .exe, etc.

2) Contained within the specific file, for certain file types (e.g. .exe), and locatable by defined rules.

It appears the toolbar only shows type-1 icons whereas the main display shows type-1 and type-2 icons.

One could make a case that it's exactly the correct thing to do in that context: it is attached to the "open" action in the toolbar, and it's telling you that "open" means "the sort of open that is defined for .exe files". There's one way to open an .exe file, not one way to open it depending on what the .exe file is. The toobar is not simply repeating what is says in the main display.

Btw, that's not a "broken" icon, that's the generic icon for .exe. It's kind of old-fashioned now, but it looks like the user interface to Program Manager.

Exidor
Premium
join:2001-05-04
Brampton, ON
reply to plencnerb

This topic does seem to pop up now and again.

Previous threads discussing this issue/default/behaviour:

»[WIN7] Explorer Menu Bar Open Icon (2010-01-08)

»[WIN7] Shell corruption? (2011-06-10)

which both refer to a "fix" here:

»www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/41···fix.html

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
reply to plencnerb

Click for full size
Picture #1
Click for full size
Picture #2

Picture #3

Picture #4

Click for full size
Picture #5
Well, then I think there may be something going on with my system then, as far as something in where the icon data is stored...let me try to explain with more examples.

I installed the program Trillian, while logged into the local administrator account. If I look at the directory where trillian has been installed (see picture #1), the proper icon is shown in windows explorer. And, just for reference, if I click on it, I get the "default" icon that you mention (btw..thanks for correcting me on that, as far as difference between broken and default).

Now, if I login using my user account (which is in the local admin group), I see a different view (Picture #2). Notice the exe does not have the same icon as it did from the local administrator account.

Now, this is where things get really odd..if I right-click on the EXE (from my user account), I get what is shown in picture #3. Notice the icon that the red arrow is pointing to..so, it knows it should have one, but for some reason, it is not displaying it in the Windows Explorer.

If I go one step further, and create my own shortcut from the exe (right-click on exe, select send to, and desktop to create the shortcut), the shortcut I get is shown in Picture #4 (notice no icon). However, if I right-click on the shortcut, and open up the properties of it, and go to the shortcut tab, there is an icon displayed on it (see picture #5). In fact, I can even change the icon to the 2nd and 3rd one listed (from the change icon window) and it will change. If I pick the first one, it displays without the icon selected (again..picture number 4).

So, it looks like for the most part, it is working, but something appears to be messed up somewhere. This leads me to believe that I either changed some setting, or I got some kind of virus / malware that messed things up. If it is some kind of malware, I'll just rebuild my system. I have a 2nd hard drive installed that I can easly copy my data to, and reformat my main drive and start from scratch. I actually just did that two days ago, and noticed this problem.

Again, thanks for the help so far.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

I imagine that the protection on the file ('permissions') prevents some users from reading the file, and if you can't read the file, you can't find an icon in the file.

The behavior in picture 3 and picture 5 is curious - specifically the ability to find an icon where before it could not. My guess is that it will come down to the specific permissions granted, maybe the difference between 'read' and 'execute' access, or possibly just a difference in what access was requested in the different scenarios.

I think the system is functioning normally.

I don't suppose this is related to malware in any way. A virus that changes icons would surely be the world's most useless virus (and I don't see it as some weird side-effect of a virus in any case).

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to plencnerb

Well, I think after reading the links by Exidor posted, I may have two different things going on here. One appears to always have been an issue in Windows 7, and like most people, have probably never noticed (the open icon of the actual exe not showing up at the top menu bar). The 2nd issue has to do with the actual EXE itself, and not showing the icon that is built with it, and the fact that when I create a shortcut, I cannot get it to show the proper icon either, even though it should show it (like with my trillian example), and that behavior is probably do to some kind of permissions issue.

So, I figured I would go fix the first issue. I went to the sevenforums page, and followed the instructions. It worked as expected.

As far as the 2nd issue, what is interesting is that I did not have that problem before I rebuilt my system (which was 3 days ago now). I actually have 4 programs that I have installed (trillian, skype, thunderbird, and frostwire) that have this icon /exe problem. When I build my system, I always make it a point to install all application using the local administrator account. I then re-arrange the icons that get created and move the ones I want to the start menu (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs). Then, when I login as myself (user account, in the admin group), I use these same icons to launch the program, and let the application create whatever files/folders it needs in my profile directory. In the past, this has never been an issue, and that is what I noticed first..I logged in as me..and I noticed that 4 of my icons were that "default" icon. So that is when I went and verified if the EXE's were still there, did the shortcuts change, etc. They all work (no issues running those applications), and the exe's were there. However, the EXE itself did not have the proper icon either..it had that "default" icon..and that was when I noticed the whole "open issue"..what I did was click on a file, and used the down / up arrow to cycle through the files instead of clicking on each one..and as I did, I saw the icon on the bottom change (the file details), and I saw that the open icon at the top matched..but when it came to an exe that had an icon, the top icon (the open one), did not..and that was the first time I noticed that.

I do think it is some kind of permissions thing, like I have an issue with my user account, as it works normally from the admin account. Makes me wonder if I should create more users...one as a "standard user" and one as an "admin" and see what happens. If it is permissions, maybe a 2nd or 3rd account would work differently.

Its getting late, so I'll probably try the new account things tomorrow, and I'll report back what the results are.

Again, thanks for the links. That has been a big help. It is also interesting how long that problems has been in Windows 7, and Microsoft really has done nothing to fix it.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to plencnerb

Everyone,

This morning I created two brand new users accounts. Test1 and Test2. Test1 (by default) is a member of the local Users Group. Test2 was also (by default) a member of the local Users Group, and I also made that account a member of the local Administrators group.

I then logged in as Test1. All my icons on the start menu displayed as they should (no "default" icons", and the exe problem that I saw with trillian's exe was also not present (icon on the exe in explorer was correct, and I could make a new shortcut and it displayed the proper icon).

Same test was done with Test2, and I got the same results.

Bottom line, it is some kind of permissions issues with my account on my system.

So, what I will do is backup my data, and re-create my user account.

Thanks again for the help.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

Bach
Premium
join:2002-02-16
Flint, MI
reply to plencnerb

Have you tried rebuilding the icon cache?

Procedure described here: »www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/49···ild.html

I recently had something similar to what you showed in those screen caps. If I went into "Change Icon" for an exe file I could see the proper icon there. It would even let me believe I could change the icon to one listed. But Windows Exporer continued to show a generic application icon. Deleting the old icon cache and letting it rebuild the cache resolved it for me.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to plencnerb

I did not try that actually. What I did was backup my data to a 2nd hard drive, and I removed my user account (along with the two test accounts I created).

Once everything was gone, I re-created my user account, and the problem went away.

If it ever happens again, I will try to rebuild the icon cache.

Again, thanks to everyone's help on this.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

2 edits
reply to plencnerb

Isn't that "Open" button just there for opening files with associated programs only? The first picture in your post is a perfect working example of what should always happen with the "Open" button. It would however seem incorrect to have an associated .EXE icon next to the Open button. Why? No single program is associated with an .EXE. If you associate the ComboFix .EXE application with .EXE files on your system... would that not make EVERY .EXE file open with ComboFix? Hence why Windows Explorer will not do this.
The ONLY thing I see somewhat incorrect here is how the "Open" button has a graphic next to it... there really shouldn't be anything next to it for .EXE. You can correct this though via Exidor See Profile's suggestion.
»www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/41···fix.html
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

said by Dustyn:

The ONLY thing I see somewhat incorrect here is how the "Open" button has a graphic next to it... there really shouldn't be anything next to it for .EXE.

While I do agree with you on what you said (It shows the Icon that is associated with the file that you are going to open), but in the case of the EXE itself, I would think it would be cool to display the Icon associated with the EXE itself. Like if you had the exe for notepad selected, the icon next to open would be the little notepad. Outside of that, I really don't see the point of that button for EXE's themselves.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to plencnerb

said by Bach :
Have you tried rebuilding the icon cache?
Thats a very good idea!

Everyday or so i hit REBUILD ICON CACHE with regseeker and every now and then i delete the file "ShellIconCache" (No extention) and then click REBUILD ICON CACHE..

Right now its 269k...

Good luck Brian