spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mkilbride

@comcast.net

[HD] Comcast could have set my house on fire.

So I got a new HDTV, went to get a HD Box, all happy. FOund out they didn't have the latest HDMI one, only Component or whatever, and would get new ones in Friday, and I could just come back then and pick it up, but I could use the component one for right now and still get 720i.

So I take it out of the package at home, notice an odd little brown spot on it, but maybe a manufacturing defect or some such thing, and I hear something rattling around inside. So I decide to plug it in and hook it up anyways. So I do, and I select Component, and I figure like with my old box I'll wait and the channels will come back. 30 minutes later, nothing, really. Oh yeah, the box was making a nice whine too, incredibly audible even if I nearly maxed the TV's volume out. So I went to move the box...and a spark flew out the back of it...it was still working, but I unplugged it anyways. The socket was fine, not melted, everything was fine, except the box itself.

Called them, bitched at them, they'll send out a guy tomorrow with the LATEST box and he'll install it, free of charge, of course, and 20$ off my bill.

Still, I feel like a free month or something should be in order. What if I had left the box on and went out, and it had kept sparking up til it actually lit on fire?

Just one of those rare times Comcast lets you down. Seriously can't believe this happened!

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4

Or better judgement could have prevailed an either waited or not plugged it in. There was an obvious issue there. They should not have given out the box but seeing the spot and plugging it in anyways was not the best course of action.

DaveDude
No Fear

join:1999-09-01
New Jersey
kudos:1
reply to Mkilbride

Comcast : We dont have to care.

WutanG
Premium
join:2001-12-12
Seaford, DE
reply to Mkilbride

You have some pretty high expectations and an odd way of reasoning with Comcast.

I'll tell you some keypoints not to get upset about here in the real world
-be lucky you're getting an hdmi cable box at all and in a timely manner, yeah I'm still waiting for mine and they can tell you whatever they want
-$20 seems generous for what you encountered and your ignorance, if you're so smart to notice a spot on the box then you should not have plugged it in or let it sit for 30 minutes.

I knew this had to be the situation by your outrageous Subject header. I think your a bit out of line and nose stuck up a bit too far buddy.
--
Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, all right. We got 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some funkin' muscle.
-Wooderson

Mkilbride

@comcast.net

Hey, listen, it's not my job to know these things. The guy handed it to me, out of a box, in the store, still wrapped & nice looking. I haven't had one of the new boxes, I thought this might be business as usual.

Oh, and my ignorance? A defective box that sparks up, is my ignorance?. How was I supposed to know?

Not every customer knows absolutely everything. I certainly didn't think a new in box product would spark up. 20$ generous? I'd say just barely acceptable.

Sure, as you say, I could have not plugged it in, but then for the rest of the night, and tomorrow, and the next day, I wouldn't have time to drive there & back and do what I want, in inbetween that, no TV, yet I still pay for it.

So I plugged it in! Not my fault in any way. It's not like it said "HEY, I'm BROKEN!" it just looked iffy.

I think them giving me, for 10$ I might add, a out-dated box(though free swap this Friday when they get them in, the guy said), one that didn't really work, and sparked up when I simply touched it.

Anyways, sucks you're still waiting on your HDMI cable box, but don't take it out on an innocent customer. It's not my job to check if the equipment is defective; it should be theirs.

mariod

join:2009-06-16
reply to Mkilbride

You have no damages, stop trying to capitalize by turning nothing into the MOST TRAUMATIC EVENT OF MY LIFE EVER!!

castsucks

@dsl.net
reply to Mkilbride

you where lucky

www.dslreports.com/shownews/79994

lorennerol
Premium
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA
reply to Mkilbride

It's time for Comcast to bite the bullet and retire the old DCT boxes. I've had techs tell me that they have a know capacitor issue, which could have been the problem here.

Boxes sent out to customers are supposed to have been through QC checks. If you can blame the OP for plugging it in after seeing a brown spot on it, it seems to me that someone at Comcast, whose job it is to make sure these boxes are working correctly and is presumably expert at such, really screwed up.

Expand your moderator at work

Mkilbride

@comcast.net
reply to lorennerol

Re: [HD] Comcast could have set my house on fire.

Having looked at the bottom of the box, I see DCT6200 / 2005, which I could assume the Box was made in 2005 / a model from 2005.

Got to ask why Comcast is shipping out 6 year old Hardware. Especially when I see constant commercials for them about "HD! HD! HD!" They're still using stuff that can't do it right. :P

»www.motorola.com/Video-Solutions···00_US-EN

From what I can figure, this is the box I -should- be getting. »www.motorola.com/Video-Solutions···00_US-EN

mariod

said by Mkilbride :

Having looked at the bottom of the box, I see DCT6200 / 2005, which I could assume the Box was made in 2005 / a model from 2005.

Got to ask why Comcast is shipping out 6 year old Hardware. Especially when I see constant commercials for them about "HD! HD! HD!" They're still using stuff that can't do it right. :P

From what I can figure, this is the box I -should- be getting. »www.motorola.com/Video-Solutions···00_US-EN

Do you throw away your clothing after five years?
How old is your car?

Why should you only get brand new equipment from comcast?

lorennerol
Premium
Seattle, WA

said by mariod:

said by Mkilbride :

How old is your car?

Comparing clothes to technology, especially technology that is changing as fast as video, is wholly invalid.

You know very well that many of the DCT STBs are much older than five years, and I'd bet they were designed nearly a decade ago. Regardless, as I look around my house, I don't see much technology that's five years old or older.

Comcast cheaped out on the DCT boxes- the hard drives were too small for HD recording when they were new and they should all have had HDMI. They made bad choices and now customers are suffering for it.

An STB that nearly catches fire and that is 5+ years old is an STB that Comcast should have retired and NEVER sent to a customer, especially when there are known issues with the hardware. Period.

DaveDude
No Fear

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Comcast
·ViaTalk
reply to mariod

said by mariod:

said by Mkilbride :

How old is your car?

how old is your cell phone ? 18 months ?
--
They Live... We Sleep...

“Spreading the wealth around” never results in a better outcome for people. It always results in destruction.

thistool

@frontiernet.net
reply to lorennerol

Darwin award check regardless of what Comcast could or couldn't do. Or there current buisness practices (5 years old is not ancient for a set top box) if you blantently know somethingis physicallywrong with the device and you proceed anyways errors on you. Also if you have to have the latest and greatest stb your free to buy your own TiVo, or moxi.

DaveDude
No Fear

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Comcast
·ViaTalk
reply to Mkilbride

If this was a rental car , would we being having this conversation- Yes

The fact is Comcast owns the box, and this THEIR property. So its comcast role to maintain that property not the customer. So no matter what , its comcasts fault. Sorry haters of subscribers.

thistool

@frontiernet.net

If this was a rental car I notice the tail light is out and I still drive it instead of returning it. I get the ticket not the rental car company. Great Comcast put a bad box out there no questioning that. When it was understood the box was defective and the individual continues to use a defective piece of equipment regardless. That is a users fault not the companies.

obckilroy

join:2011-11-16
reply to DaveDude

Sure the box is the responsibility of comcast. However there is some awareness required on the part of the user.
Most electronic devices shouldn't have anything rattling around inside of them, that is the first clue.
If a box is producing a whine that is audible over the max volume of the tv common sense should cause a user to think "Maybe this isn't normal and I should unplug it"

mariod

1 edit
reply to lorennerol

said by lorennerol:

Comparing clothes to technology, especially technology that is changing as fast as video, is wholly invalid.

Wow.

In case you were wondering, fashion changes several times a year.

said by lorennerol:

You know very well that many of the DCT STBs are much older than five years, and I'd bet they were designed nearly a decade ago. Regardless, as I look around my house, I don't see much technology that's five years old or older.

Well, considering Comcast didn't start offering DVR service until 2005, it can't be more than six years old. »pqasb.pqarchiver.com/boston/acce···l=google

And I assure you that it is not one of the original DVRs, as they looked like this:

lorennerol
Premium
Seattle, WA

1 edit

said by mariod:

In case you were wondering, fashion changes several times a year.

Not nearly as much as I need a DVR made in the current decade and, hopefully, that won't spontaneously combust in my home.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Mkilbride

Kind of like getting a cell phone and blaming the cell phone service for the shortcomings. If a piece of hardware goes bad the blame lies with the manufacture. Sure comcast should not have rented you the box but i think its safe to assume they didnt really doing it knowing it had a problem. Most likely something got into the box and during handling the object got loose and shorted something out. You might want to have your circuit breakers tested at your house as a shorted electrical component should have blown the breaker way before you see any fire. But i put it into the a little dramatic category. If i rent a ford fusion from avis and it blows up. Do i blame avis or do i blame ford. The obvious answer is ford not avis.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA

said by rody_44:

If i rent a ford fusion from avis and it blows up. Do i blame avis or do i blame ford. The obvious answer is ford not avis.

Not a valid analogy. If the car blows up because Avis did not perform the necessary maintenance on it, then the fault is Avis. Comcast did not perform the necessary maintenance on this DVR, the fault lies with Comcast.
--
Teabaggers: Destroying America is Priority #1

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4

Great, car analogies abound.
Should the box left Comcast? No. But based on what the OP said it is also on him/her. If the box was truly making such a loud noise they should have unplugged it. If it was louder than their TV at full volume there was onbviously an issue.

Mkilbride

@comcast.net

Comcast guy came, looked at box, and said he was surprised they gave it to me, as they were supposed to stop giving these out quite awhile ago, and that they are known to do this, which is why they stopped using them...so just the guy at the Tech center was not so up to date, I suppose.

New Box is this:

»www.digdia.com/images/digdia_pace_rng110.jpg

Works pretty well, the guy was very awesome, we even talked for awhile about stuff, watched The Three Stooges while it was being setup, and before he left said he was once again surprised they handed me that box, as they aren't supposed to.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Mkilbride

said by Mkilbride :

Oh, and my ignorance? A defective box that sparks up, is my ignorance?. How was I supposed to know?

So I plugged it in! Not my fault in any way. It's not like it said "HEY, I'm BROKEN!" it just looked iffy.

you shook the box and heard a rattling sound, you plugged it in and heard a very loud whining sound. those things usually indicate a problem.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to Mkilbride

HD boxes from 10 years ago verses HD boxes from 10 hours ago both do the same basic thing, display HD programming in 720p and 1080i so I'm not sure what you mean when you say that Comcast is still using stuff that can't do it right.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to rody_44

said by rody_44:

If i rent a ford fusion from avis and it blows up. Do i blame avis or do i blame ford. The obvious answer is ford not avis.

That is kind of a here nor there type of thing because the same analogy could be put towards a recall. If Ford puts a recall out on that model of Ford Fusion, Avis recieves the notice but doesn't do anything about it, you rent it and it blows up...it would be Avis' fault. This has actually happened where rental companies knowingly rent out vehicles that have been recalled.

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6

1 recommendation

reply to thistool

said by thistool :

If this was a rental car I notice the tail light is out and I still drive it instead of returning it. I get the ticket not the rental car company. Great Comcast put a bad box out there no questioning that. When it was understood the box was defective and the individual continues to use a defective piece of equipment regardless. That is a users fault not the companies.

How would you notice it? They rent GM junk that wouldn't have an indicator on the dash for burnt out lights.
--
PRescott7-2097