uniqs
share rss forum feed

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA
reply to rody_44

Re: [HD] Comcast could have set my house on fire.

said by rody_44:

If i rent a ford fusion from avis and it blows up. Do i blame avis or do i blame ford. The obvious answer is ford not avis.

Not a valid analogy. If the car blows up because Avis did not perform the necessary maintenance on it, then the fault is Avis. Comcast did not perform the necessary maintenance on this DVR, the fault lies with Comcast.
--
Teabaggers: Destroying America is Priority #1

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:5
Great, car analogies abound.
Should the box left Comcast? No. But based on what the OP said it is also on him/her. If the box was truly making such a loud noise they should have unplugged it. If it was louder than their TV at full volume there was onbviously an issue.

Mkilbride

@comcast.net
Comcast guy came, looked at box, and said he was surprised they gave it to me, as they were supposed to stop giving these out quite awhile ago, and that they are known to do this, which is why they stopped using them...so just the guy at the Tech center was not so up to date, I suppose.

New Box is this:

»www.digdia.com/images/digdia_pac ··· g110.jpg

Works pretty well, the guy was very awesome, we even talked for awhile about stuff, watched The Three Stooges while it was being setup, and before he left said he was once again surprised they handed me that box, as they aren't supposed to.
Expand your moderator at work

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
reply to Mkilbride

said by Mkilbride :

Oh, and my ignorance? A defective box that sparks up, is my ignorance?. How was I supposed to know?

So I plugged it in! Not my fault in any way. It's not like it said "HEY, I'm BROKEN!" it just looked iffy.

you shook the box and heard a rattling sound, you plugged it in and heard a very loud whining sound. those things usually indicate a problem.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to Mkilbride
HD boxes from 10 years ago verses HD boxes from 10 hours ago both do the same basic thing, display HD programming in 720p and 1080i so I'm not sure what you mean when you say that Comcast is still using stuff that can't do it right.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to rody_44
said by rody_44:

If i rent a ford fusion from avis and it blows up. Do i blame avis or do i blame ford. The obvious answer is ford not avis.

That is kind of a here nor there type of thing because the same analogy could be put towards a recall. If Ford puts a recall out on that model of Ford Fusion, Avis recieves the notice but doesn't do anything about it, you rent it and it blows up...it would be Avis' fault. This has actually happened where rental companies knowingly rent out vehicles that have been recalled.
Expand your moderator at work

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6

1 recommendation

reply to thistool

said by thistool :

If this was a rental car I notice the tail light is out and I still drive it instead of returning it. I get the ticket not the rental car company. Great Comcast put a bad box out there no questioning that. When it was understood the box was defective and the individual continues to use a defective piece of equipment regardless. That is a users fault not the companies.

How would you notice it? They rent GM junk that wouldn't have an indicator on the dash for burnt out lights.
--
PRescott7-2097

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
most likely that light on the dash for burnt out lights would itself be burnt out.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:24
reply to Mkilbride

(topic move) Does Comcast repair equipment?

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 4 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »Does Comcast repair equipment?

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Mkilbride

There is no known problems with the 6200 boxes. They are still being installed by a lot more companies than just comcast. I know in the early 2000s there was a known issue with motorola boxes but they involved non hd boxes and were removed from houses ASAP. The problem with this box was most likely a foreign object fell into the box and got dislodged later. Sure makes a lot more drama tho by accusing comcast of sending a box known to burn down houses tho.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:17
Looks like there is another thing to be aware of when getting a previously used STB:

Aurora resident says Comcast equipment has bugs - literally
»beaconnews.suntimes.com/news/967 ··· lly.html