spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mastery7
join:2011-12-28

1 edit

mastery7

Quick question about modem swap out

Been using Brighhouse since 2002 when we moved into our home. I used to work at a different cable company (been out of that business for over 7 years now), and brought my own cable modem with me (Linksys wireless gateway). Anyways, it's been going through a lot of resets lately as the wireless has been going out. It's probably 10 years old, so due for a replacement.

Anyways, I've been paying BH for Internet for 10 years, using my own modem. Can I simply have them create a service call and send a tech out with one of their own modems that they can provide? I was thinking about buying a Motorola SB6120 or SB6121, but can't find if the D3 modem is usable in the Indianapolis market.

And, if I can save a few bucks, might as well as use BH's modem, as long as there aren't issues with the Airport Extreme that I have coming in the mail in a few days.

Thoughts? Thanks!
tim tim tim
join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim

Yeah, you can have one of ours installed for you and im pretty sure it would be free. The d3 modems have to be BHN owned to work on the network and there shouldnt be any issues with connecting your airport extreme up to it either!
mastery7

mastery7

Thanks tim tim tim. Been trying to do research, and if they loan the modem for free or real cheap, I figured it's better to go with what they offer for compatibility with the network. I'll hook up the network after they leave, no problem with that. Only time the Internet hasn't worked was due to power outages in the area; I'm impressed with their QoS in the area.
tim tim tim
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim

QOS for bhn in general is really good. Of course some people will say other wise but for the most part its a good network in my opinion. We work really hard and spend A LOT of money on keeping everything maintained to the point that you dont see issues.

The modems are free, we dont charge any fee to rent them.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to mastery7

Premium Member

to mastery7
said by mastery7:

Been using Brighhouse since 2002 when we moved into our home. I used to work at a different cable company (been out of that business for over 7 years now), and brought my own cable modem with me (Linksys wireless gateway). Anyways, it's been going through a lot of resets lately as the wireless has been going out. It's probably 10 years old, so due for a replacement.

Anyways, I've been paying BH for Internet for 10 years, using my own modem. Can I simply have them create a service call and send a tech out with one of their own modems that they can provide? I was thinking about buying a Motorola SB6120 or SB6121, but can't find if the D3 modem is usable in the Indianapolis market.

And, if I can save a few bucks, might as well as use BH's modem, as long as there aren't issues with the Airport Extreme that I have coming in the mail in a few days.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Before you do anything please PM me your modem MAC and IP address and let me take a look at things. I can also arrange for the modem swap for you should it be needed...
mastery7

mastery7 to tim tim tim

to tim tim tim
Not sure if I'd get charged a trouble call fee. Linksys device is going bad, but they never left an original modem on the initial install (since I had one already). What's the policy on rolling a truck to do a service call, when a BH modem wasn't left during the install and now they have to leave one? I called the local number in Indy to ask the question, and the person didn't know anything about whether there would be a fee to actually schedule the service call or not. She said it was her second day...
mastery7

mastery7 to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

Before you do anything please PM me your modem MAC and IP address and let me take a look at things. I can also arrange for the modem swap for you should it be needed...

Sent you a PM, BHN...thanks.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to mastery7

Premium Member

to mastery7
Following up with you. How are things going?
mastery7

mastery7

Still having problems, but working 70+ hour weeks and I keep forgetting about getting you the info. I'll try to get you the info this evening or weekend.

Quick question: Do you know the Indianapolis office supports the Motorola 6121 modems? I know it's a DOCSIS 3 modem, and although I only have the lowest service, I'm wondering if it would work on the network.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to mastery7

Premium Member

to mastery7
Why do you want to buy your own modem?
mastery7

mastery7

Isn't there a monthly rental charge? It would be cheaper in the long run if purchase my own to use. I could be wrong about this. Which modem is BH providing?

will Brighthouse provide the PW to get into the modem if they provide it so I can set up and monitor my security?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to mastery7

Premium Member

to mastery7
No there is no monthly modem rental charge and no there are no security options for you if you have our lowest tier of internet.
mastery7

1 edit

mastery7

Deleted to avoid a pissing match that gets everybody nowhere.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by mastery7:

I like to be able to see things like TX and RX power levels, as it helps me explain to newer Brighthouse techs I reach on the phone what problems are going on when my cable has problems. I have my own signal meters, feed off a 24 value tap, and actually had to help a BH tech last year at the nearest amplifier understand how to set the attenuation and use the proper pads after he was there 4 different times making everybody's cable worse. Line techs for BH in this area anyways still don't understand that hitting a modem at less than -5 db causes problems, and they still can't answer what it takes to boost low reverse levels when the forward levels are already blasting without killing the forward path.

Hey I totally understand you want to know and see all these things and that's fine but please do not tell the techs on the phone or otherwise how to do their job. First of all they have far better tools at their disposal (both field and phone techs) than you do and there is NOTHING that ruins that 6 minute relationship more than a customer telling the tech on the phone how to do their job. All of our techs are highly trained and know what they need to know and how to do things before they ever touch a phone or visit a home.

Please let the techs do their jobs and IF you ever have a problem you let me know about it and I will address the issue. Thanks...

On that note if you want to use a D3 modem it will be our modem and you must have D3 service. There is no way around that...sorry.
mastery7

2 edits

mastery7

Deleted to avoid a pissing match that gets everybody nowhere.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by mastery7:

but I don't work with condesending attitudes very well.

Neither do the humans on the other end of the support line YOU are calling for help REGARDLESS of what company you are calling.

That's all I'm going to say about your now deleted rant because the rest was just wrong on so many levels I just don't have time to mess with it nor is this the place for this kind of stuff. If you need anything please feel to contact me as always I am here to help you.
mastery7

mastery7

WE (your customers) call for help because YOUR COMPANY's product is faulty at times. Your right, this gets us nowhere.

Thanks for the offer to help. Glad somebody at BH is willing. Enjoy your weekend.
tim tim tim
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim to mastery7

to mastery7
Man, I keep coming too late for these things lol.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to mastery7

Premium Member

to mastery7
said by mastery7:

Not sure if I'd get charged a trouble call fee. Linksys device is going bad, but they never left an original modem on the initial install (since I had one already). What's the policy on rolling a truck to do a service call, when a BH modem wasn't left during the install and now they have to leave one? I called the local number in Indy to ask the question, and the person didn't know anything about whether there would be a fee to actually schedule the service call or not. She said it was her second day...

Sorry that I missed this question...there will be no charge to swap out the modem for ours. I can take care of it from here if you want to keep it simple on you. Now you say your linksys device is going bad..am I to assume you want our wireless? If so there would be a charge for that....