Search similar:

uniqs
cooperaaaron
join:2004-04-10
Joliet, IL

1 recommendation

cooperaaaron

Turn it off people !

until this is solved... If you don't know how to add someone to your wireless network, read your instructions and protect yourself, ask a friend, family, co-worker, and see if they can help you out...
millerja01a
join:2005-10-03
Durham, NC

1 recommendation

millerja01a

Folks,
Now would be a good time to audit your router logs and reconcile MAC's to your known devices. If anything looks fishy, setup up MAC address filtering, hide your SSID, change your WPA/WPA2 password.

Bottom line, all users need to be aware of the security needs of their systems and networks.

Do your due diligence to protect yourself.

PapaMidnight
join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD

1 recommendation

PapaMidnight

said by millerja01a:

Folks,
Now would be a good time to audit your router logs and reconcile MAC's to your known devices. If anything looks fishy, setup up MAC address filtering, hide your SSID, change your WPA/WPA2 password.

I fully believe that hiding your SSID is pointless as a security measure. I equate it to an anecdote I had while talking with a guy I know who works for parking enforcement. One day, he's walking around doing regular rounds on patrol when he happens across 2 cars parked in a fire zone (outside of the regular loading zone). He says he might have never noticed them had it not been for the fact that both had their hazard lights flashing which indicated that the drivers had known that they'd parked illegally. Both were ticketed. That's kind of what not broadcasting your SSID is like. Any simple tool used to detect WLANs is going to see it. Hell, I would be surprised if the old NetStumbler won't see it. You turn off SSID broadcasting, if anything, you're asking to be cracked even more.

As for MAC Address filtering, people have been spoofing mac addresses for years now to get past that, though I'll admit that it can be helpful.

As for your WPA/WPA2 password, I'm recommending no less than 10 characters with at least 1 capital, and a mix of alpha numerical values. The longer the better (the longer the password is, the longer it takes to crack). This chart gives you a basic idea why: »www.lockdown.co.uk/?pg=combi
said by millerja01a:

Bottom line, all users need to be aware of the security needs of their systems and networks.

Do your due diligence to protect yourself.

You'll never hear any argument from me on this point.
WiFu
join:2010-01-07

WiFu to millerja01a

to millerja01a
Just turn off WPS and choose a strong passphrase. The MAC address and SSID can be easily seen whenever you connect. It's a needless complication.