Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Cisco Kid

@rr.com

[Internet] G or N Wireless Router

Looking for a suggested G and N Wireless Router for BHN 10/2 Internet service. I will be putting the Router in a Rental Property and for that reason would not want to spend over $50.00.

I know the NetGear GR614 is a basic G model.....that unit seems to be available in limited supplies. I would like to go with an N Wireless Router.....that will work OK with the 10/2 service and be inexpensive so if it disappears....I won't be to upset.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:164
You might consider this unit. It's DDWRT compatible which would open up all sorts of control options for you as well...

»www.amazon.com/ASUS-RT-N ··· duct_top

it's also VERY in your price range...
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Einstein~

Cisco Kid

@rr.com
To many this may be a stupid question, but better asked\answered before I get a call from a renter that they cannot link up with the wireless.

Will this Wireless router broadcast G and N simultaneously? Some renters may have G Network cards, others N.....

From what I read, this model can be set up and running within minutes and wouldn't take much more than entering a Security Key to be up and runnung....I need simple setup.....

weaseled386

join:2008-04-13
Port Orange, FL
kudos:1
reply to Cisco Kid
I, personally, use a Cisco Aironet 1200. It had a B radio which I swapped for G... I also did the IOS conversion on it.

The range of any SOHO router/switch combo is going to be low. How big is this property? Is it single family, or more?? In the four years I've ran this access point I've only had to reboot it once. Its current uptime is 8.5 months

You can cheese out on the router, but get a decent wireless AP. Depending on which antennas I use I can get signal 90-100 yards away.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Cisco Kid
said by Cisco Kid :

To many this may be a stupid question, but better asked\answered before I get a call from a renter that they cannot link up with the wireless.

Will this Wireless router broadcast G and N simultaneously? Some renters may have G Network cards, others N.....

From what I read, this model can be set up and running within minutes and wouldn't take much more than entering a Security Key to be up and runnung....I need simple setup.....

All N class routers are backwards compatible with G. So the answer would be yes.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Einstein~

weaseled386

Port Orange, FL
said by BHNtechXpert:

said by Cisco Kid :

All N class routers are backwards compatible with G. So the answer would be yes.

This is only partially true. Many wifi routers/AP's have an option for G+N, G only or N only. You need to ensure it is set for G+N. What I'm not sure of is if that'll still flow N faster than G... The speed of the LAN can be downgraded to the slowest connected client.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by weaseled386:

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by Cisco Kid :

This is only partially true. Many wifi routers/AP's have an option for G+N, G only or N only. You need to ensure it is set for G+N. What I'm not sure of is if that'll still flow N faster than G... The speed of the LAN can be downgraded to the slowest connected client.

That has nothing to do with compatibility weasle. That is a user selectable option not a compatibility issue.
--

weaseled386

Port Orange, FL
said by BHNtechXpert:

That has nothing to do with compatibility weasle. That is a user selectable option not a compatibility issue.

Yes, but it can be perceived as a compatibility issue by the less educated clients. If it is set for N only and a B/G client tries to connect they'll see random/sporatic connectivity at best.

edit: I always point that out because when I worked for Sprint-Nextel's Managed Services division this was a common issue with new installs. Spend HOURS troubleshooting such an easy option