Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

Explanation?

Has anyone from Verizon offered any sort of technical explanation for these outages? An almost nationwide outage is a pretty serious screw-up -- after 4 of them in such a short period of time, as a Verizon 4G customer, I'd like a technical explanation of what is happening.
flashcore
join:2007-01-23
united state

flashcore

They have not said anything about what is causing this problem other then "it is fixed" after each outage.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to Matt3

MVM

to Matt3
Wouldn't all these outages be a breach in contract? That would let you terminate your service without ETF penalties.

The contract you sign up for in a normal 2 year agreement is FOR SERVICE. If they do not provide SERVICE, then that is a breach in contract because you are paying for SERVICE but not receiving it.

I'm curious if anyone's tried to fight this.
crk2h
join:2003-03-19
Murfreesboro, TN

crk2h to Matt3

to Matt3
Yes an explanation would be nice instead of just saying "its been fixed"
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

1 recommendation

openbox9 to cypherstream

Premium Member

to cypherstream
It's not a break of contract. You aren't subscribing to a guaranteed service or any level of quality of service.
said by VZW Customer Agreement :

What Are My Rights for Dropped Calls or Interrupted Service?
If you drop a call in your Coverage Area, redial. If it's answered within 5 minutes, call us within 90 days if you're a Postpay customer, or within 45 days if you're a Prepaid customer, and we'll give you a 1–minute airtime credit. If you're a Postpay customer and you lose Service in your Coverage Area for more than 24 hours in a row and we're at fault, call us within 180 days and we'll give you a credit for the time lost. Please be aware that these are your only rights for dropped calls or interrupted Service.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA

cypherstream

MVM

They so conveniently spell out "minutes". What about data usage when you pay for a data plan?

On a 4G phone, if the 4G is down, can you still make a call?
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9

Premium Member

said by cypherstream:

I'm assuming so. Plus, you may be able to access the 3G network too.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

Well I have AT&T and if 3G is down, it auto fails back to Edge. Slower, but hey at least the device still works.

My wife just got on Verizon and we got her the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. I absolutely LOVE the device, but I hate the wireless carrier. I guess these outages spark my interest now that there is a Verizon 4G phone in the house.

But yeah, at least they could do is offer some sort of explanation. If this is the 4th major outage, how many more are to follow? Wonder if they could answer that question?

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
Jamestown, NC

Matt3 to cypherstream

Premium Member

to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

They so conveniently spell out "minutes". What about data usage when you pay for a data plan?

I think the data usage portion is covered under the last paragraph he quoted, "... and you lose Service in your Coverage area ..."

As for phone calls, the call still completes over 3G or 1xRTT, so even if 3G goes down in addition to 4G, you can still complete a call.

As a matter of fact, I had 4G a few minutes ago while walking my dog, placed a call, and when I hung up noticed I had lost both 4G and 3G again, yet didn't notice a single hiccup on the call itself.
crk2h
Murfreesboro, TN

crk2h to cypherstream

to cypherstream
Yes you can still make a phone call when the data is down. If this was something that was happening every day or something then I would be worried about trying to get out of my contract but for something that has happend 4 times in a year I wouldn't even be thinking for a second about trying to get out.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

said by crk2h:

Yes you can still make a phone call when the data is down. If this was something that was happening every day or something then I would be worried about trying to get out of my contract but for something that has happend 4 times in a year I wouldn't even be thinking for a second about trying to get out.

It's been 4 times in approximately a month or two.

But I agree, this is the first major issue Verizon has ever experienced, so I'm apt to give them time to sort it out. I'd just like a technical explanation. On the surface, it seems (to me) to be a terribly engineered design if something can repeatedly take service nationwide down.

Local tower issues, circuit failures, sure, but this seems like some core part of their infrastructure is failing.
crk2h
Murfreesboro, TN

crk2h

I wonder if it has something to do with the authencation system that the sim cards use on the lte network? Or if it is an actual data issue?
thatissick
join:2010-08-17
Atlanta, GA

thatissick to Matt3

to Matt3
I think calls only go over the 1x network, which is why their dropped calls are far lower than AT&T's which routes calls and data over their same hspa network.

NY Tel
Premium Member
join:2004-04-09
Smithtown, NY

NY Tel to cypherstream

Premium Member

to cypherstream
4G is only used for data currently. Your voice call goes over the CDMA network.