how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

baess

join:2011-01-28
reply to WOW_Dan

Re: Packet loss/lag spike issues - I'm out of ideas

Thanks. You're probably right about the Aurora server. Maybe someone else local could try and see if they get similar results.

said by WOW_Dan:

Run trace routes and pings to those IP addresses and see what your response time is there. If everything you need is responding quickly, then there is no problem. I have a feeling that Aurora server is either running slow or having connection issues.

I see "trace routes" and "pings" to IPs mentioned often but I don't know how to do those. Are there easy directions someone could provide or should I just Google?

mix

join:2002-03-19
Utica, MI

On windows, try something like:

ping -n 100 www.google.com

This will ping your google 100 times. At the end of the test is the ping statistics that show packet loss and round trip times. The round trip times should approximately correspond to ping times listed on game servers. You can replace www.google.com with any website you want. You can also use an ip address, probably of the game server if that is what you are interested in.

You can use traceroute on windows like this:

tracert www.google.com

It will show you every hop (router, gateway, whatever) along the path between you and your destination (in this case google). By default, it pings each hop 3 times. Just remember, if you ping routers often times ping responses are delayed because they are given lower priority than routing real traffic. That's why when I see people on dslreports complain about terrible latency because a traceroute shows a high ping reply I get annoyed. In fact, if you see a high response time on one router, yet a hop that actually occurs past the router has a lower response time, I can virtually guarantee what you are seeing is a de-prioritization of icmp packets. Some routers or web servers don't even reply to icmp packets.

baess

join:2011-01-28

said by mix:

On windows, try something like:

ping -n 100 www.google.com

You can use traceroute on windows like this:

tracert www.google.com

Thanks. I had to Google to find out I had to run this at cmd prompt .

Ran ping twice to Google and it showed no packet loss and average time of 15ms.

The other one I wasn't quite sure how to decipher results.

Things are running pretty well (knock wood) and I'm not a gamer I just thought it a little strange that the server on speedtest.net was giving such poor results. If I hadn't tried a different server I would be thinking something was wrong.