Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12

[request] A suggestion for Justin

Hello Matey how are ya??

We all love this site and it would just be nice if you could add a link ON EVERY TRHEAD to read the last reply on it since YOUR LAST VISIT...

For example: On VBB sites when you login,you can click this " " it will take you to THE FIRST NEW REPLY ON THE THREAD SINCE YOU LAST LOGGED IN.. (That was from WHT btw)

This works with cookie based or DATABASE thread tracking... Im not sure what we use here.. Isnt it COOKIE-BASED THREAD TRACKING here??

It would just be nice to have this feature here,make it EASIER to pick up on a thread where we left off on it.....

Could the staff (and justin) talk about this maybe on the mod base??

Merci Beaucoup

mjf
" "
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-05
New Orleans, LA
kudos:2

Re: A suggestion for Justin

»Site FAQ »Finding My Place in a Thread - Just new posts

Your answer is in the faq.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14

1 recommendation

reply to Dude111

Done!

Look on a forum page, and you'll see this image which shows what you want in each thread that has been updated since you last read it:
--
their dreams a tattered sail in the wind

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA

1 edit
reply to mjf

Thank you buddy...

I didnt ever notice those arrows on the right

Thanx guys

EDIT:

I dont see the arrows when i view my POSTLIST (I just looked @ it now when i logged in (1 thread had new activity since my last login but there wasnt an arrow ))

state
stress magnet
Premium,Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory
kudos:6

Make sure you're looking at the right postlist:
»/postlist/?cat=umarked

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
reply to Dude111

Yup now i see them on the postlist i always look at (/postlist) and i have discovered justin is using DATABASE THREAD TRACKING here as some threads i didnt read LAST SESSION still have an arrow next to them that havent had new posts since before my last visit........

Is there a way to MARK ALL THE BASES READ BEFORE LOGGING OUT??

bluebaron2
Stuff Happens
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-01
North of 44
Reviews:
·Xplornet

1 edit

Do you mean the one marked "Clear All" at the top of your Favourites view?

»/forums/fav0?c=all

See here if this is what your looking for:

»Site FAQ »Clearing threads from forum view

--
bb2

There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want. ~Bill Watterson

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA

No thats just for FAVOURITES (Not every base on the site)

I tried »/forums?c=all

and

I tried »/forum?c=all

but they didnt reset my read status

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to fatness

said by fatness:

Done!

Look on a forum page, and you'll see this image which shows what you want in each thread that has been updated since you last read it:

That never seems to work right for me
--
~ Insert a Funny Sig Here ~

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA

It might be because DATABASE THREAD TRACKING is being used and there is NO WAY TO MARK ALL THE BASES READ after your session.....

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:4

said by Dude111:

It might be because DATABASE THREAD TRACKING is being used and there is NO WAY TO MARK ALL THE BASES READ after your session.....

I don't know what the reason is but that blue arrow doesn't behave reliably. Soooo many times it doesn't take me to the last post I read in a thread although sometimes it does. I used to think it did act correctly always and then, a day or two later, I would not use the arrow and would go to the beginning of the thread and be amazed at how many posts there were that I had never read, yet, in between the ones I had never seen (using the blue arrow) were ones I distinctly remembered reading. It was a long time before I finally realized that blue arrow is wildly inaccurate at times. So, I stopped using it. I'd like to be able to use it...but I don't trust it.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
reply to Dude111

If you hit the little "e" at the end of the page #'s, that will take you accurately to the last post. That link should be the one used for the blue arrow.
--
~ Insert a Funny Sig Here ~

mod_wastrel
iamwhatiam

join:2008-03-28

1 recommendation

The 'e' takes you to the last post in a topic--read or unread. The blue arrow takes you to the first unread post in a topic that you've started reading. There are times when they could be the same, but only by coincidence.
--
"Sorry for not responding to your post, but either I haven't seen it yet, or what you said was so devoid of substance that I found it utterly uninteresting."