how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

voipnpots

join:2011-10-13
USA

Is Comcast on top now?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this mean that Comcast is the only true winner here for the time being? U-verse's technology doesn't compare, and Verizon has stopped building. Other cable companies like Brighthouse, etc. are not nearly as big as the others (at&t, Verizon, Comcast).

Comcast has had the largest chunk of the market for a while, but this move by Verizon makes it definite that Comcast will be #1 for a while (availability/popularity wise).

Os

join:2011-01-26
US

This deal, if we read into it correctly, means that in many suburban/exurban/rural areas, Comcast, Time Warner and BrightHouse have been given exclusive status as a broadband provider. And there's still plenty of major cities where FiOS never got wired to all residences, and some like Baltimore and Boston, who didn't get it at all.

Verizon here offers 3 Mbps DSL max. What incentive does Atlantic Broadband have to ever upgrade the network here? The highest speed tier we have is 15/1.5. While some areas have seen D3 with ABB, we haven't. Think Verizon's lack of interest here is part of the reason why? I do.

big_e

join:2011-03-05
reply to voipnpots

Verizon doesn't want to be in the wireline tv/telephone/internet business anymore. Its not profitable enough. Wireless is the most profitable for Verizon's shareholders with multi-year contracts, high early termination fees and low usage caps.

voipnpots

join:2011-10-13
USA

I wonder if Comcast will be in the wireless phone business someday...

Hopefully not, because I think "Xfinity Wireless" would fail miserably.

Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06
reply to Os

Uncapped 3 Mbps DSL seems more like broadband than Comcast's 512 Kbps equivalent.

Zero

join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA
reply to voipnpots

said by voipnpots:

I wonder if Comcast will be in the wireless phone business someday...

Hopefully not, because I think "Xfinity Wireless" would fail miserably.

They will. The cable companies will have the option to become a MNVO after a certain period of time as it stated in the original article.

over time, the cable companies will have the option of selling Verizon Wireless' service on a wholesale basis.

You can bet Comcast won't want to keep reselling Verizon wireless service in areas they currently compete with FiOS, so they'll likely resell it on a wholesale "Xfinity" wireless basis.