join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to Os

Premium Member

to Os

Re: Not VZ, but someone else?

said by Os:

While DOCSIS 3.0 is very capable,

I don't see any cable provider even D3 ones offering 35mbps UPLOAD!

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

said by dvd536:

said by Os:

While DOCSIS 3.0 is very capable,

I don't see any cable provider even D3 ones offering 35mbps UPLOAD!

The average home user doesn't need more than 1Mbps upload, if that much.

power users can get by with 10 or 15Mbps.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

3 recommendations

34764170 (banned)

said by fifty nine:

power users can get by with 10 or 15Mbps.

and 640k is enough for everyone. Get real corporate shill.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA

cypherstream to fifty nine

MVM

to fifty nine
I guess you never had to upload batches of pictures or home videos to family members on photo / video sharing sites, or heck even facebook.

Today's high res cameras output some pretty sizeable files.

fifty nine
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

said by cypherstream:

I guess you never had to upload batches of pictures or home videos to family members on photo / video sharing sites, or heck even facebook.

I do, quite often in fact. Our EOS 5D MkII produces sizable files with its 25 megapixels, as do the other DSLR bodies we use in our studio.

But I doubt that people are uploading hundreds of RAW files from a $2500 camera. Most people are uploading JPEGs from small consumer cameras and smartphones and the last time I uploaded to facebook and photo printing services their app didn't take much time at all. I only have 5Mbps upload. I uploaded low res to print 5x7s and the prints from full, high res files were indistinguishable from those produced with low res uploads.

The average home user needs more download, as the average home user is more of a consumer of content rather than a producer. And with new compression technology even full HD video can be transmitted over low bandwidth connections with little degradation in quality.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

said by fifty nine:

. I only have 5Mbps upload. I uploaded low res to print 5x7s and the prints from full, high res files were indistinguishable from those produced with low res uploads.

The average home user needs more download, as the average home user is more of a consumer of content rather than a producer. And with new compression technology even full HD video can be transmitted over low bandwidth connections with little degradation in quality.

Your right there. I guess I'm just bitter with a 1mbps upload from Service Electric. That's nice you get 5mbps. I'd have to DOUBLE my monthly bill to upgrade to 5mbps upload. (In excess of $100 a month).

JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Gary, Ziggy, Max.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-20
La La Land

JRW2 to fifty nine

Premium Member

to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

How do you come up with that determination??

I love when people throw around numbers like this.

You do realize that demands for MORE upload bandwidth is one of the chief complaints among users...
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by JRW2:

You do realize that demands for MORE upload bandwidth is one of the chief complaints among users...

Don't expect fifty nine to get it at all.

JRW2
Premium Member
La La Land

JRW2

Premium Member

said by 34764170:

Don't expect fifty nine to get it at all.

I don't, there are too many people who have a myopic view on many subjects.
In this case many people feel that if they don't have any need for it, then no one else does either.

Zero5
join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA

1 recommendation

Zero5 to fifty nine

to fifty nine
The phrase "if you build it they will come" comes to mind. If you build a network and offer speeds in excess of what people need and want today, innovation will come and find uses for it.

It wasn't long ago that the average home user didn't have a home network and was streaming Netflix, but that's changed today thanks to the advances in technology.

Of course we could have "gotten by" with dial up, 1 PC in the house, and cell phones with voice only and no touchscreens...

miataman
I've attained a PHD in DVR.
Premium Member
join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA

1 edit

miataman to fifty nine

Premium Member

to fifty nine

said by fifty nine:over low bandwidth connections with little degradation in quality.

A: "little" is subjective.
B: I prefer NO degradation..

fifty nine
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

said by miataman:

said by fifty nine:over low bandwidth connections with little degradation in quality.

A: "little" is subjective.
B: I prefer NO degradation..

Then you can pay for a commercial connection if your needs are that critical.
fifty nine

fifty nine to JRW2

to JRW2
said by JRW2:

Among which users? Maybe the techno geeks here but not the general population.
fifty nine

fifty nine to Zero5

to Zero5
Except that the average home broadband connection is designed primarily for content consumption.

I think some of you have the idea that you are supposed to be able to run things like servers on a residential connection. That would be pretty much the only scenario where you need constantly fast high upload.

Even online backup doesn't need a fast upload connection. You're not doing full backups every night.

JRW2
Premium Member
La La Land

JRW2 to fifty nine

Premium Member

to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

Among which users? Maybe the techno geeks here but not the general population.

In my job I deal with many people who are NOT techno-Geeks, and more than three quarters of them complain about how long it takes to upload things...

That is several hundred people.....
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by JRW2:

In my job I deal with many people who are NOT techno-Geeks, and more than three quarters of them complain about how long it takes to upload things...

That is several hundred people.....

See. I told you he wouldn't get it. He's stuck in his lala land.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to fifty nine

Premium Member

to fifty nine
iPhone 4S can pump out a gig in a few minutes. Throw that on YouTube, and you've got a use for that upload. Add online backup and Dropbox, and that's a lot of data being moved.

JRW2
Premium Member
La La Land

1 recommendation

JRW2

Premium Member

said by BiggA:

iPhone 4S can pump out a gig in a few minutes. Throw that on YouTube, and you've got a use for that upload. Add online backup and Dropbox, and that's a lot of data being moved.

Add another user or three, and see how much upload gets used in "normal" activities.
kxrm
join:2002-07-18
Fort Worth, TX

kxrm to fifty nine

to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

said by cypherstream:

I do, quite often in fact. Our EOS 5D MkII produces sizable files with its 25 megapixels, as do the other DSLR bodies we use in our studio.

But I doubt that people are uploading hundreds of RAW files from a $2500 camera. Most people are uploading JPEGs from small consumer cameras and smartphones and the last time I uploaded to facebook and photo printing services their app didn't take much time at all. I only have 5Mbps upload. I uploaded low res to print 5x7s and the prints from full, high res files were indistinguishable from those produced with low res uploads.

Maybe I am nuts but I absolutely enjoy my 35mbit FIOS service. The upload is a HUGE selling point for me. I can essentially setup services and save large amounts of cash on dedicated systems.
Expand your moderator at work
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to JRW2

Premium Member

to JRW2

Re: Not VZ, but someone else?

Yup.