share rss forum feed

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
reply to fifty nine

Re: Not VZ, but someone else?

I guess you never had to upload batches of pictures or home videos to family members on photo / video sharing sites, or heck even facebook.

Today's high res cameras output some pretty sizeable files.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
said by cypherstream:

I guess you never had to upload batches of pictures or home videos to family members on photo / video sharing sites, or heck even facebook.

I do, quite often in fact. Our EOS 5D MkII produces sizable files with its 25 megapixels, as do the other DSLR bodies we use in our studio.

But I doubt that people are uploading hundreds of RAW files from a $2500 camera. Most people are uploading JPEGs from small consumer cameras and smartphones and the last time I uploaded to facebook and photo printing services their app didn't take much time at all. I only have 5Mbps upload. I uploaded low res to print 5x7s and the prints from full, high res files were indistinguishable from those produced with low res uploads.

The average home user needs more download, as the average home user is more of a consumer of content rather than a producer. And with new compression technology even full HD video can be transmitted over low bandwidth connections with little degradation in quality.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
said by fifty nine:

. I only have 5Mbps upload. I uploaded low res to print 5x7s and the prints from full, high res files were indistinguishable from those produced with low res uploads.

The average home user needs more download, as the average home user is more of a consumer of content rather than a producer. And with new compression technology even full HD video can be transmitted over low bandwidth connections with little degradation in quality.

Your right there. I guess I'm just bitter with a 1mbps upload from Service Electric. That's nice you get 5mbps. I'd have to DOUBLE my monthly bill to upgrade to 5mbps upload. (In excess of $100 a month).

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to fifty nine

said by fifty nine:over low bandwidth connections with little degradation in quality.

A: "little" is subjective.
B: I prefer NO degradation..
--
"Not a stick, not a spliff, not even a puff."
.... The Harder They Come, with Jimmy Cliff.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
said by miataman:

said by fifty nine:over low bandwidth connections with little degradation in quality.

A: "little" is subjective.
B: I prefer NO degradation..

Then you can pay for a commercial connection if your needs are that critical.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to fifty nine
iPhone 4S can pump out a gig in a few minutes. Throw that on YouTube, and you've got a use for that upload. Add online backup and Dropbox, and that's a lot of data being moved.

JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Ziggy, Max and Zen.
Premium
join:2004-12-20
La La Land
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 recommendation

said by BiggA:

iPhone 4S can pump out a gig in a few minutes. Throw that on YouTube, and you've got a use for that upload. Add online backup and Dropbox, and that's a lot of data being moved.

Add another user or three, and see how much upload gets used in "normal" activities.
--
Politics is a disease, we need a cure!
In constant search for intelligent life on Earth!

kxrm

join:2002-07-18
Fort Worth, TX
reply to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

said by cypherstream:

I do, quite often in fact. Our EOS 5D MkII produces sizable files with its 25 megapixels, as do the other DSLR bodies we use in our studio.

But I doubt that people are uploading hundreds of RAW files from a $2500 camera. Most people are uploading JPEGs from small consumer cameras and smartphones and the last time I uploaded to facebook and photo printing services their app didn't take much time at all. I only have 5Mbps upload. I uploaded low res to print 5x7s and the prints from full, high res files were indistinguishable from those produced with low res uploads.

Maybe I am nuts but I absolutely enjoy my 35mbit FIOS service. The upload is a HUGE selling point for me. I can essentially setup services and save large amounts of cash on dedicated systems.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to JRW2
Yup.