uniqs

agr
@comcast.net

agr to planet

Anon

to planet

Re: Linksys WAP11 and WRT54GL?

said by planet:
"In my router's (Cisco E1500) wireless settings it offers manual and WPS, I have mine set to manual via bullet point so I infer my WPS is disabled using this setting. Do others agree?"

No. Configuring in manual mode does not turn off WPS. Apparently there is no way to turn it off on most (if not all) Cisco/Linksys routers that have the WPS feature. The only secure option at present appears to be using an older Linksys model lacking WPS or another brand that allows you to turn WPS off.

somms
join:2003-07-28
Centerville, UT

somms to ashrc4

to ashrc4

Re: Time to disable WPS on most routers

vimeo.com/34667806

The soon-to-be released Reaver Pro w/GUI is gonna make hacking into then owning wireless routers a snap!
jtrag
join:2010-08-19
Mcsherrystown, PA

jtrag

WOW! That was quick...

Thanks for sharing!

- James
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd to somms

Premium Member

to somms
said by somms:

vimeo.com/34667806

The soon-to-be released Reaver Pro w/GUI is gonna make hacking into then owning wireless routers a snap!

Not once DD-WRT or Tomato third party firmware is installed.

Reno7
Premium Member
join:2008-10-26
Keller, TX

1 recommendation

Reno7

Premium Member

said by PrntRhd:

said by somms:

vimeo.com/34667806

Yeah unless you're like me with a Linksys E4200 and flashing to either of those means the instant lost of functionality (One of the antennas, SSH, the USB port, etc).
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd

Premium Member

I agree, but waiting for Cisco Linksys to issue the fix may be too late, depending how much risk you have at your location.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by PrntRhd:

I agree, but waiting for Cisco Linksys to issue the fix may be too late, depending how much risk you have at your location.

IMO, at this point in time, I think that this vulnerability has been way over-hyped.

I do live in a "high risk" location (I am surrounded by university students at a university with a popular computer science school). My Netgear router logs every attempted WiFi connection to it, and I have not seen any dramatic increase in such attempts since this WPS vulnerability (and the POCs associated with it) was announced. OTOH, there are a couple of open hotspots within range, so that does tend to lower the "necessity" for anyone to break into my WiFi (other than the curiosity factor of what's on that network). I use one of the hotspots myself as a backup connection.
evoxllx
join:2007-06-07
Winter Park, FL

1 recommendation

evoxllx to Reno7

to Reno7
said by Reno7:

said by PrntRhd:

said by somms:

vimeo.com/34667806

Yeah unless you're like me with a Linksys E4200 and flashing to either of those means the instant lost of functionality (One of the antennas, SSH, the USB port, etc).

I'm using tomato (tomato-E4200-NVRAM60K-1.28.0493MIPSR2-Toastman-RT-N-Std.bin) and it has the option of using ssh also both bands are working.

I haven't tested USB but I can say your other two points are inaccurate.

Not like the USB support on this router is very good anyway it's pretty slow from what I've heard.

There is also much functionality to be gained from third-party firmware such as being able to set a tcp timeout value as the stock firmware has such a low timeout that it actually violates RFC 5382 as do most consumer grade routers.