uniqs
XIII
Premium Member
join:2010-06-16
Scottsdale, AZ

XIII

Premium Member

Standard Internet (A la cart)

I just got their standard a la carte and everyone I have talked to has said that there are no caps at all (as well as several places on their site). Yet both the old (May 2011) and current (Nov 2011) AUPs state there is a daily cap but dont mention any monthly caps. According to Sales, Tech support and several pages on their site there are absolutely no caps at all (neither daily nor monthly).

Any one else notice this?

Also anyone that has the standard Internet and gone over 3 GB/day for multiple days have you gotten any notification from them?

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS

Pashune

Premium Member

I have 10 meg and according to the AUP, my limit is 5 GB per day.

I have exceeded that limit so many times I've lost count.

I think what they're concerned about is if you're pulling 500 GB per month or something. I download almost 200 GB every month and haven't heard a peep from them.

CableOne has always been disorganized and unclear about what you can and cannot do with their internet service.

anonguy
@windstream.net

anonguy

Anon

How does Cable One address Excessive Use or uncharacteristic use?

The Cable One residential service offering is a consumer product designed for personal use of the Internet. Therefore, if Cable One in its sole but reasonable discretion determines that a customer has exceeded the Excessive Use threshold or is using the Service in a manner significantly uncharacteristic of a typical residential user, Cable One reserves the right to (a) adjust, suspend or terminate Service accounts at any time and without notice; or (b) require the user to upgrade his service level or pay additional fees in accordance with Cable One’s then-current, applicable rates and charges for such Service; or (c) use any technology to be chosen by Cable One at its sole discretion to slow the user’s service for purposes of conserving bandwidth.

I'm going with...
They are hoarding as much money as possible and have cut back on people to monitor people's usage, and has this up as a scare tactic more or less (for now) to force people to upgrade to the 50Mbps service, and or actually monitoring it now, and seeing so many go over their daily cap, if they did something, they'd have a ton of customers complain so currently thinking of what to do about it.
XIII
Premium Member
Scottsdale, AZ

XIII

Premium Member

I emailed the email address (legal@cableone.net) that the AUP says to with any questions, they never responded. I called after we got service, which when setting it up it had me agree to the May 2011 AUP but not the newer Nov 2011 (wonder what the differences are), and asked them and they said to send it to 3 different email addresses in the hopes one of them gave me a response, legal, abuse & support, only abuse responded but from the support address.

They told me that as long as I am not affecting other users I am fine as the limits are set so that they can enforce if they want, but everyone at Cable One you ask says there is no limit for standard Internet, so I will wait until the time comes when they tell me I have gone over my limit...at least my node is not saturated yet.

I have no problem with (reasonable) limits but when tech support and sales says that their own usage estimator is flawed (estimator says HD video uses 1 GB/hr, they agreed its more around 2.5-4 depending on quality) I really dont have much faith in their management of data. Tech support also said that their definition of an average user really only applies to a small percentage (5-20% depending on area, mine is about 8% they said) of their customers and thats what the meter is based on.

One person I talked to said the Arris are junk with their system and to only use it for phone and nothing else, and to use a Motorola for Internet. Not sure what to make of this comment.

So far every one I have talked to has been very nice and knowledgeable (some companies tier 1 techs are script readers, not so with CableOne IME)

Based on my experiences so far I will have to agree with you Pashune (Read my review for more detail in about a week).

cableonehs
@cableone.net

cableonehs

Anon

I've had Cableone internet for years and have never heard a word from them regarding inappropriate or excessive usage.

I'm also not sure what they mean by using an Arris modem for phone and a Motorola modem for internet. AFAIK you can only have one modem registered on your account. As soon as I registered our Arris modem due to having "triple play", my old Motorola Surfboard modem... that was still connected in another room... stopped working.

I've not experienced any problems with the Arris. For me... it works just as well and as reliable as the Motorola.
XIII
Premium Member
Scottsdale, AZ

XIII

Premium Member

By default the cable company will put your Internet on the phone modem if you add phone service, as in your case, you have to request that it not be done. This happened to me once I got phone with Cox.

I know several who use the Arris with Cox and it works fine. When pressed about the comment all they said was that Motorola is better, but wouldn't elaborate beyond that vague comment.

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS

Pashune to cableonehs

Premium Member

to cableonehs
said by cableonehs :

I'm also not sure what they mean by using an Arris modem for phone and a Motorola modem for internet. AFAIK you can only have one modem registered on your account. As soon as I registered our Arris modem due to having "triple play", my old Motorola Surfboard modem... that was still connected in another room... stopped working.

The rep was talking to allowed me to use my Motorola Surfboard for internet only and the Arris modem I had for VoIP only. That happened during the time I was transitioning to Vonage.

I also talked with C1 field techs in the past and they said you could do this if you wanted. My guess is that it can make things easier if your internet connection is too distanced from a nearby phone jack or if you don't want to run cords everywhere.

FWIW, I found that the Arris modem takes a little longer to sync with the CMTS than my Surfboard.
XIII
Premium Member
Scottsdale, AZ

XIII

Premium Member

Arris takes forever on Cable One not sure why but thats how it is.
With Cox it only takes a little longer than a standard Internet modem (by seconds not minutes)